Author Topic: Is this the earliest Start to the Local Football Season ?  (Read 3474 times)

Frontman

• View Profile
Re: Is this the earliest Start to the Local Football Season ?
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 02:12:43 PM »
Tommy Taylor fiddled with line up's and, admittedly had given Sam Gaughran debut at 16!  He had a hefty budget and decent bloke but saw Norfolk people as bumpkins!! Has never been a success n Management!!

Colin Foster had success with long ball game; by chance inherited Martin Cope and Claxton got Kevin Ready to Club and the 2 of them scored 80+goals that year. 2nd in League and Bristol Rovers in Cup. Despite that; Foster wasn't bothered with progress and did little to develop team and had very good budget. Cope decided to leave as he couldn't stand Foster and Ready was injured and did not return!!  Weeks into the next season, no wins / bad start;  Osborne, Rout and rest of Board ran out of money; cut budget in half and Foster walked out and took the Peterborough contingent with him.

Gary Mills was well liked and sensible manager; who, like Peter Morris was astute as a manager albeit not as Dour and difficult to approach.  Probably on the better Manager list

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2017, 02:51:18 PM »
Interesting comments Frontman.  Are you also New Recruit ?  confused.com

The manager who I would have liked to see given more time was Alan day, thought the guy had something about him.  Good connections, good organiser, and not a Billy Bull****er.   Didn't see a lot in John Cozens or the Manager who was the Ex West Brom keeper, Godden. 

Did you have dealing with any of these guys  Frontman ?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2017, 06:42:04 PM »
It's really interesting to read the stories anecdotes that are coming through on this thread.  These really should be written down and put together. 

For Fathers Day I was given the latest (?) Harry Rednapp book.  Great read so far about players, owners Chairman, Managers etc.  Few interesting quips about Barry Fry/Stan Flashman etc.  Got me thinking can't something be put together on Kings Lynn. Get the likes of Frontman Chris Hornby, Greg, must be some interesting stories to be told about certain individuals who have been involved with the club over the years.  For example must be a chapters worth on Mick Wright alone

The Fenman

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2017, 07:28:03 PM »
Good idea.

Ok... everyone write a chapter about the football club they know.  The best season,  best goals,  best away days and anything else you want to share. 

I'll compile it and have it proof read before publishing.

Get me 80,000 words and we could have book on shelves to help the club coffers by Christmas.

Great idea Mallard. 

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 11:31:12 AM »
Alan Day was very busy, but Holbeach, Spalding and then Kings Lynn; somehow were left in debt when he left. Alan Day doubled the wage bill (or Board allowed it) and were in trouble Jan 91.
Sean Farrow Day's assistant) was sensible and brought in several of his Grimsby lads but only lasted 12 months. Why;; most likely money.
Musgrove; brought in lots of local players but was another 10 month Manager.

Probably the most weird of managers was Gidman; found on Knights Hill Pub car park; spaced out!! Sammy Morgan (Aston Villa; Ireland; Gorleston) said Giddy at Villa; At 18 he was an idiot but was laughed with / at!!  At 30yrs old he was an idiot but wasn't funny!!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 01:16:17 PM »
Interesting comment there as normal Frontman, love it.   Thought Day Unlucky with his Chairman of the time, how do people like that ever end up owning/running Football Clubs ?   Musgrove limited budget and brought in a lot of local players who worked hard but not quite good enough. John Linford sparked the place up a bit as I recall.  Liked Sammy Morgan, good coach Frontman.

Gidman was a strange character, when he played he would change on his own in his office.  I wonder why ? lol

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2017, 03:05:53 PM »
Good idea.

Ok... everyone write a chapter about the football club they know.  The best season,  best goals,  best away days and anything else you want to share. 

Get me 80,000 words and we could have book on shelves to help the club coffers by Christmas.

Great idea Mallard.

I agree - great idea and there are many with a fund of general and much inside knowledge to contribute. Not least Keith Rudd and David Wright.

The Fenman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2017, 01:11:54 AM »
Good idea.

Great idea Mallard.

I agree - great idea and there are many with a fund of general and much inside knowledge to contribute. Not least Keith Rudd and David Wright.

Here's the publishing tool i used.  All it needs is compiling.  https://www.createspace.com/

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2017, 08:40:34 AM »
Fenman, looks like you are a man who knows what he is doing with this.  Why not put yourself forward to do the programme this coming season I see on twitter the Club is looking for an editor.  be something to really get your teeth into.  Great showcase for your skills.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2017, 09:21:10 AM »
Fenman, looks like you are a man who knows what he is doing with this.  Why not put yourself forward to do the programme this coming season I see on twitter the Club is looking for an editor.  be something to really get your teeth into.  Great showcase for your skills.
Great idea Mallard. Experience and enthusiasm is a great combination!  :scarf:
In life, its important to remember that those that can't, usually teach!

TDA

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2017, 09:25:05 AM »
This is a tremendous idea. Bit like the publication that Norwich have done called 'A Fine City' by Mick Dennis (I think that's the name of it).  It could have a combination of memoirs from players and fans. Interviews with characters from around the club. 8.56 lads, Nigel and others. There used to be a lad who did a fanzine who I believe was called David Grimes who would have some material. I recall it was published for a short time and called 'jumpers for goalposts' and was about Lynn. It had some match day stories about Kettering and possibly Wimbledon if memory serves me.

Regarding John Gidman, that was a disappointing era.  I cycled down to the club for a meet the manager evening and he showed great bravado etc. I then recall traveling to Rushden mid week to watch the boys under his new stewardship to see us lose 6-0. I think when things went badly wrong under him he was hit by an orange thrown from the crowd and the Lynn news amusingly reported it as a 'citrus missile' which is an expression you don't see often.

Players I would like to hear from in a book:

Mick Wright
Keith Rudd
Andy claxton
Jack Defty
Jackie Gallagher
Clive Adams
Mark Camm
Freddie Easthall
Danny Bloomfield
But there are loads more.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2017, 09:46:38 AM »
On the subject of Gidman, wasn't he a little unhappy about being given the sack and made various ''suggestions' about Dollimixture ?  :laughcry:

Could be some great stories to come out,  Seems like Keith Rudd has a boatload he could share.  Wasn't there a day when the Lynn team went on strike ( was this Dollimore days as well ?) and the Directors of the opposing team offered to pay the Lynn players to get the game on ?

In recent years we have the Day at Bishop Stortford  and The Oldham game in front of a full house.   Followed by the demise of the Club Under Bobbins and Chinn....

Could be a good read. 

Blue Moon

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2017, 09:53:14 AM »
Although I think this is a great idea and don't want to knock it lets think of the potential sales, average home gate circa 550, I'd guess 200 sales from those, other interested parties, what maybe 100, would it be financially viable ?

TDA

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2017, 09:56:07 AM »
I think there are many more estranged Lynn fans worldwide who would read this, particularly if avilble as an e-book

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2017, 10:08:49 AM »
I understand that there is a supporter that has all the information for a book already compiled, but just needs to take that final step and get it published.

It's not for me to say who it is (lots of you would know him), so if he reads this and needs some help to finalise things, maybe he could get in touch so we could put him in touch with others that are willing to help.

:scarf: