|Senior Football in King's Lynn 1868 - 2012|
|1868||Saturday 30th May, The Norfolk News, page 7: Earliest mention found (so far) of King's Lynn Football Club in the press, |
|1879||The club is said to have reformed and played on The Walks Field.|
|1881||The Norfolk Football Association was founded in the town's Black Horse public house, situated in Chapel Street|
|1893||Lynn lost to Wisbech 5-1 in an 'electric light' match in front of more than 5,000 fans.
Newspaper reports state segregation was now in place with season tickets costing two shillings for admission to the north and east sides of the ground and double that for the south and west.
Lynn won the Norfolk Senior Cup for the first time.
|1896||Lynn entered the Norfolk & Suffolk League. A covered stand was used at The Walks for the first time|
|1898||Lynn's ground was closed for two weeks following crowd trouble in the match against Lowestoft.|
|1901||Lynn reached the final of the FA Amateur Cup.|
|1903||Lynn's ground was closed for four weeks following crowd trouble in the match against Yarmouth.|
|1905||Original stand demolished and replaced by a wooden grandstand capable of seating 500. A sum of £250 was borrowed
to employ builder William Smith and repaid from the proceeds of an FA Cup tie the following season against Aston Villa.|
|1906||Lynn win Norfolk & Suffolk League for the first time.|
|1923||First mention of Lynn playing in the now traditional Blue and Gold, prior to that black and white stripes and claret and blue seem to have been the norm.|
|1924||First matchday programmes issued.|
|1935||Lynn become founder members of the Eastern Counties League.|
|1946||Lynn competed in the United Counties League|
|1948||Lynn turn professional although the players were not full time. They return to the Eastern Counties League|
|1951||A record attendance was recorded at The Walks of 12,937 for the visit of Exeter City in the FA Cup.|
|1954||Lynn complete the double of
Eastern Counties League and League Cup and join the Midland League.|
The Supporters' Club provide concrete terracing and shelter to accommodate 4,000 with seating for 780 on the north side of the ground
|1955||The Supporters' Cub begin a new project - a stand of brick and steel with seating for 1,400 and a front enclosure for a further 3,000. The plan was to have a ground that could provide covered accommodation for 8,000.|
|1956||Mr Arthur Drewry, the Chairman of the Football Association and President of FIFA, opened the new stand. The stand had cost £27,000 to build and a crowd of more than 6,000 attended the opening and the Midland League game that followed.
Lynn applied for Football League membership.|
Admission to the Football League was by election from the other clubs. At the end of each season clubs at the bottom of the
Football League were obliged to seek re-election along with non-league hopefuls wanting to join.
Lynn's best result was in 1958 when they received two votes!.
|1958||Lynn joined the Southern League|
|1960||The club was wound up and restarted as a limited company. Almost immediately a 'Save the Linnets' fund was launched - the target being £5,000 that was needed to see the club finish the season.
|1962||The club reach the third round of the FA Cup, losing to Division One Everton in front of 44,916 at Goodison Park.
Lynn were less fortunate in the league being relegated to Southern League Division One.
|1963||Floodlights used at The Walks for the first time.|
|1964||Lynn promoted to Southern League Premier Division having finished Division One runners-up to
|1971||Lynn relegated to Southern
League Division One (North).|
|1980||Lynn moved to Northern Premier League.|
|1983||Lynn won the Northern Premier League President's Cup but never get the chance to defend it as they are
moved to the Southern League Premier Division.|
|1985||In September the club was liquidated and reformed under the name
King's Lynn Football and Recreation Ltd.
|1987||Lynn relegated Southern League
|1992||Lynn players go on "strike" delaying kick-off in the match against Nuneaton Borough following the sacking of manager Shaun Farrow
King's Lynn Football Club (1994) Ltd became the company behind The Linnets
The club was placed in administration after a long struggle with mounting debts.
|1996||Lynn promoted to Southern League Premier having been runners-up to Nuneaton
|2001||January saw the club go into administration, the Reserve side withdrew from the
United Counties League in March, their fixtures not completed.
|2002||Lynn relegated to Southern
League Eastern Division.
|2004||Southern League Eastern Division champions.
A crowd of 3,127 see Exeter City visit The Walks in the FA Trophy.
|2005||Southern League Cup winners
|2006||Oldham Athletic visit Lynn in a televised FA Cup tie watched by an attendance of 5,444.
|2007||A £350,000 renovation project began to renovate the grandstand roof and replace the wooden seating.
|2008||Southern League Premier Division champions, promoted to Conference North|
|2009||Demoted to the UniBond League Premier Division for failing to undertake ground grading work in time to
comply with league rules.|
Floodlights upgraded to Football League standard.
High Court winding up order imposed on the club over an unpaid £77,000 tax bill to Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs.
Following a bidding process, the Borough Council of King's Lynn & West Norfolk award a 25 year lease of The Walks to the family owned company running the speedway stadium in King's Lynn.|
Lynn FC, adopting the name King's Lynn Town Football Club, is formed.
The new club begins life in the Premier Division of the United Counties League, finishing the 2010-11 season in second place and reaching the semi-final of the FA Vase.
Once again the club finishes its league campaign in second place but with champions Long Buckby not meeting
ground grading requirements Lynn are promoted to Step 4 and allocated to the Evo-Stik Northern Premier League (Southern Division).|