Lynn FC logo
"The Linnets"
This website is dedicated to the senior football club in King's Lynn, known as "The Linnets"
News from The Walks
10 May 2004
Lynn's title-winning double act Kevin Boon and Darren Bloodworth have been named Dr Martens Eastern Division joint managers of the year.
The winners of the other two Dr Martens Divisions have been similarly awarded.

King's Lynn's Dr Martens Eastern Division championship winning side is to be honoured with a civic reception on Friday, May 21.

Players and officials have been invited to attend an official function at the Town Hall to mark the Linnets' first league title in 50 years.

"It is a magnificent achievement not just for the town but for West Norfolk," said deputy mayor Paul Brandon. "This has been a long time in the making and the success of the football club undoubtedly generates a feel- good factor around the area."  
03 May 2004
Lynn's dream of Conference football ended in a 1-0 defeat at the hand of Western Division title winners Redditch United.
It was nothing more than the visitors deserved and but for some heroics from Wilson in the Lynn goal they could have been two goals down in the first ten minutes.
A double save from Wilson on five minutes as Redditch piled on the pressure was followed by a shot on ten minutes was just about to cross the Lynn goal line but hit the head of Redditch's Leadbetter and went over.
Lynn began to settle and carved out openings of their own with Holmes being presented with a gilt edge chance following a mix up in the Redditch defence but failed  to take the opportunity - probably being surprised to see the ball. Then Mark Camm went  close with a header following good work from Stevenson. Neil Manton was lucky only to receive a yellow card for a crude challenge on Lee Stevenson as he was one of six players to go into the book - Softley, Knight and Scheppel being the other offenders for Redditch whilst Holmes and Stevenson were booked for Lynn.
Although Lynn had their moments they weren't able to test the Redditch goal keeper until a Staff free kick in the second half and although Antiss spilled the ball Redditch were able to clear for a corner.
Redditch adopted a route one approach and it paid dividends with a free kick midway in their own half getting a head on to Richard Burgess to score.
Lynn continued to apply the pressure but failed to get support to the two front runners. The introduction of Robbie Harris gave more options up front but on the day it was Redditch who had the greater desire to win and deserved to go through to play Merthyr on Saturday.
Lynn: Wilson, Jones, C Defty (Heath-Preston), Hammond, Fuff, Stevenson, Woodrow (Harris), Holmes, Staff, Watkins (Bacon), Camm.
Redditch: Antiss, Manton (Quiggin), Gardiner, Taylor, Knight, Myers, Hall (Softley), Scheppel, Leadbetter, Burgess (Shepherd),  Cowley
Att: 2014

01 May 2004
Watkins and Bacon see Lynn to a 2-0 win over Fisher Athletic.
A pretty even first half saw a Fisher side, with a handful of former Tonbridge Angels players, in no mood to hand over the championship to Lynn without giving an account of themselves.
It was a nervous Lynn with passes going astray whilst Piper and Scannell looked dangerous for the Fish.
The turning point came on 49 minutes when Lynn were awarded a  possibly fortuitous penalty - a shot hitting the hand of McKenzie. Dale Watkins made no mistake from the spot. Lynn began to settle and Fisher frustrated as the game tended to overheat  and then, with 10 minutes remaining, substitute Chris Bacon capitalised on a mix up in the Fisher defence to make sure of the title.

Lynn Reserves completed their league campaign with a 2-2 draw against Mildenhall Town. Lee Hyde headed Lynn into a 12th minute lead but a brace from Adam Salmons in the 19th and 37th minutes saw Lynn trail at the break. In the second half Lynn had more of the possession but neither goal keeper was in demand. Simon Bush equalised for Lynn midway through the half.
Lynn: Higgs, Harvey, Buhleman, Hyde (Burton), Palmer, McManus, Anderson, Redhead, Bush, Cobb, Doughty (Forshaw). Att: 132

20 April 2004
Lynn went back to the top of the table with a hard fought 1-0 victory over Bashley.
The all important goal came eight minutes into the second half when Dale Watkins threaded his way in from the right and his cross and the resultant goal mouth scramble was eventually ended when Lee Stevenson forced the ball home.
Prior to that it had been a tense end-to-end affair but with few chances.
Bashley needed to win to stay in with a chance of Premier Division football next season but there were few shots on target.
Lynn managed to put a chance just wide of the post and Bashley had one just over whilst Jack Defty was on the receiving end of a kick which eventually saw him being forced off after five minutes of second half football.
After Stevenson's goal Lynn began to look more composed and Watkins and Staff both had chances to increase the lead whilst Bashley continued to look for a way back but fortunately for Lynn it wasn't to be - Lynn maintaining their 100% record.

20 April 2004
Lynn will be advertising the post of reserve team manager at The Walks after almost securing their Ridgeons Premier Division status for next season.

Paul Hunt and Keith Rudd, the current incumbents in the post, are expected to be ruled out because of  their duties with the community football scheme and youth team respectively.
Chairman Colin Nichols yesterday confirmed: "We will be advertising the position with a view to filling it for next season, and any interested parties should apply to the club in writing."
Nichols said: "We always knew this season was going to be a difficult one for the Reserves, but the players have handled it very well.
Nichols added: "They've found the step up quite a big one and when you take into consideration the age of the side they have done remarkably well.
"The last two results against Wisbech and Gorleston have been very impressive and some of the performances against some of the top teams have left the side with plenty of encouragement for the future."

17 April 2004
Victories for the three teams at the top of the Dr Martens League keeps the title race wide open although Lynn's victory at Salisbury was one of the bigger hurdles for them in the end of season run in.
Against Salisbury, after an even first half Lynn took the lead on 67 minutes when David Staff provided Jack Defty with a tap in from two yards. On 71 minutes the same combination resulted in a Jack Defty header from six yards. Then three minutes from time a superb David Staff solo performance completed the scoring. Att 903

At The Walks Lynn Reserves easily demolished a Gorleston outfit on a hard, bumpy pitch where good football was difficult.
Stuart Cobb scored from a tight angle to give Lynn a 12th minute lead and then two goals in as many minutes just before half time from Cobb and Robbie Harris put Lynn in a commanding lead.
Robbie Harris completed his hat trick with goals in the 62nd and 75th minute. A crowd of 244 watched Lynn Reserves easily overcome Wisbech Town 4-0 at The Walks - a far cry from pre season when Wisbech beat what was a potential Lynn first team 1-0 for the Kinsella Cup.
Lynn's marksmen were Robbie Harris with two, Chris Bacon and Simon Bush.

Lynn's average league gate rose to 847 as a result of the Histon game and the club is now 27th in the "Turnstile League" with only four DML Premier Division clubs above them.

12 April 2004
Lynn 1 Histon 0

Very much like this season, this game roller-coastered its way through 90 minutes with plenty of twists and turns on its path.
With a crowd of 1617 was not only the highest in the whole of the Dr Martens League on the day but on of the top twenty in the league this season.
Both sides started nervously and it was the visitors who opened the exchanges but slowly Lynn weathered the storm and territorially shaded the first half and deserved a half time lead. This came on 25 minutes when a low cross from Camm on the left took a deflection and fell kindly to Jack Defty who made no mistake from three yards out. Immediately Lynn lost Burrows to injury but once again Daniel Hammond took over the centre back position admirably with Charlie Defty coming in on the left.
Chris Bacon was the next injury victim and his failure to appear after half time (replaced by Robbie Harris) left Lynn looking lightweight in attack.

The opening 20 minutes of the second half saw some sustained pressure from the visitors and a goal looked inevitable but few shots were on target. Two free kicks from the edge of the penalty area were wasted but Lynn held on. When Histon  lost Adrian Cambridge through injury on 67 minutes it seems that they also lost their impetus and the remainder of the half became end to end nail biting stuff.
So once again the pendulum turns back towards Lynn - although with a trip to Salisbury on Saturday the title race still has a long way to go.
This win put Lynn on 79 points - the final total they achieved last season. 

Lynn: Wilson, Jones, Hammond, Burrows (Defty C 28), Fuff, Stevenson, Defty J (Fishlock 70), Holmes, Bacon (Harris 45), Watkins, Camm Subs Not Used: Woodrow, Nobes.
Histon: Barber, Farrington, Haniver (Mintus 82), Hipperson, Vowden, Cambridge A (Coburn 67), Goddard, Andrews, Rowe (Kennedy 61), Cambridge I, Barker Subs Not Used: Holdon, Munns.

3 April 2004
Lynn 0 Salisbury 2
With the three top teams in the league playing at home few would have bet on all three of them losing yet alone failing to score - but that is what happened. In fact you have to go back to 9th April 2002 to find the last time Lynn failed to score in a home league match but against Salisbury, Lynn seldom troubled the keeper.
But it all started off promisingly with Staff just putting the ball wide and then another shot just going over.
It was on 15 minutes that Stevenson had a shot as Lynn pressed forward - and seconds later they were a goal down. A quick break and Wayne Turk caught Wilson off his line from outside the area. 
Lynn continued plugging away but the few chances they had were squandered. Fishlock elected to shoot when his colleagues were better placed in one attack and Watkins scooped the ball over from three yards in another. Salisbury's Tubbs hit an upright in a rare attack following a mistake by Glenn Fuff just before half time.
Lynn continued the second half in much the same manner - they marginally had the better of possession but had no idea in front of goal. Salisbury got players behind the ball and Lynn lacked any width - attempting and failing to walk the ball into the visitors' net. Salisbury added a second on 71 minutes through Matt Tubbs after Wilson had palmed out a shot. Lynn's day was summed up when Watkins, standing on the Salisbury goal line with his back towards goal, headed the ball over the bar when the slightest of touches would have sufficed.
All in all a poor performance and with David Staff facing a two match suspension, including the Histon game, and the thought of an away trip to Salisbury then anything can happen during the remaining games of the season - and probably will!
Lynn: Wilson, Camm, Setchell (C Defty), Hammond, Fuff, Stevenson, Fishlock (J Defty), Holmes, Harris, Watkins, Staff.
Salisbury: Sawyer, Bartlett, Holmes, Cook, Thomas, Davis, Turk, Davies, Philips (Wallace), Tubbs (Strong), Purchase.
Att: 936.  Bookings: Watkins (Lynn), Philips (Salisbury)

2 April 2004
Injuries continue to be a problem with Jack Defty, Adam Jones and Gary Butterworth out of the forthcoming game against Salisbury whilst Mark Burrows look set to return although not fully recovered from an ankle injury. Gary Setchell returns following suspension.
The visitors are expected to be without defender Andy Cook  who is likely to miss the rest of the season with a hamstring injury. Former Southampton player Cook is one of the more senior White players making nearly 200 appearances since joining in 1999.

30 March 2004
Lynn Reserves gained a very creditable point at Soham Town Rangers on Tuesday evening with all the goals coming in the first half. Lynn found themselves 2-0 down in 12 minutes with Soham's leading scorer Stephen Bugg on target both times - taking his season's tally to 18.
On 25 minutes, however, Lynn pulled themselves back into the game when a Robbie Harris shot was only parried and Stuart Cobb was on hand to put the ball home. Ten minutes later Robbie Harris put himself on the score sheet from close range.

Jermaine Brown's loan from Boston United has been ended on compassionate grounds following his father's recent illness. I'm sure everyone sends their  best wishes to Jermaine and  his family at this difficult time.

25 March 2004
Folkestone Invicta 2 Lynn 2
Lynn, without Gary Setchell, Jack Defty, Gary Butterworth and Craig Fishlock through suspension and injuries were forced into a further change after new signing Jermaine Brown's father was taken ill overnight.
Lynn's defence of their 100% record at Cheriton Road did not look to safe as Lynn trailed 1-0 at half time. The home side took the lead on six minutes when a Glen Fuff sliced header fell to Dryden who put the home side ahead. Three minutes later Lynn were saved by the crossbar as midfielder Anthony Hogg hit a 30 yarder which had the beating of Wilson in the Lynn goal.  Lynn's caused looked even more difficult when defender Mark Burrows went off injured but Danny Hammond once again proved a worthy replacement with Charlie Defty, coming on as substitute, being equally up to the task. Although Lynn were unable to produce a worth shot on target they weathered the first half storm.
The introduction of Robbie Harris and a switch to three up front produced a second half rally, however, with  Lynn taking the lead through goals by a David Staff free kick and then a Dale Watkins chip on 77 minutes but in the closing minutes a goal bound header from defender Adam Flanagan was kept out by David Staff's hand. Staff was  red carded and then Chandler for the home side equalised from the spot.

Having shared seven goals with Lowestoft earlier in the season Lynn Reserves provided another entertaining game at The Walks. Lynn took the lead on 7 minutes through Mark Heath-Preston which was doubled six minutes later when Liam Foreshaw scored from close range. Simon Bush added a third on 22 minutes as the Lowestoft defence continued to leave too much room at the back.
The game was not as one sided as the half time score suggested but apart from one goal line clearance Lynn had the better chances.
Lowestoft got back into the match on sixty minutes when they were awarded a penalty following a goal mouth scramble and then ten minutes before the end got a second penalty for a foul - Jamie Stokeld converting both times.
There were plenty of other goal mouth incidents with Lee Hyde heading one goal bound effort off the line whilst there were chances at both ends. Referee Mr Artis of Norwich became busy booking Lee Hyde, Simon Bush, Chris Bacon and Mark Heath- Preston of Lynn and Greg Crane and Carl Poppy of Lowestoft - mostly for disputing his decisions.

Mikey Thompson has left Lynn - joining Downham Market.

24 March 2004
Lynn have signed  Boston United  striker Jermaine Brown on loan for the rest of the season. Brown, who turned 21 in January, was signed as a trainee with Arsenal in August 2001 and went on four months loan to Colchester beginning in October last year. He made  his debut for Colchester in the LDV Vans Trophy against Wycombe when he came on as an extra time substitute and scored the winning goal two minutes later in the 3-2 victory.
He signed for Boston United in February this year and has made his debut in the 2-0 defeat at Torquay.
The news follows the  signing Dale Watkins form Chelmsford for a nominal fee after a three month loan spell.

20 March 2004
Lynn 2 Burgess Hill Town 1
Lynn came from behind to gain a far from convincing win in a windswept Walks Stadium.
In a game littered with miskicks and misplaced passes an uneventful first half saw Lynn have the best chances in a two minute spell before half time.
It took only 20 seconds of the second half, however, for Burgess Hill to show that it was possible to score against the strong wind - Steve Harper finding a way through while Lynn's minds were still in the dressing room.
Craig Fishlock put a free kick wide of the post as Lynn tried to get back into the match but they were looking far from promotion candidates.
With twelve minutes remaining a Mark Camm cross from the edge of the box was adjudged to have been handled by Leo Day and  Dale Watkins, playing his last game after a three month loan spell, made no mistake from the spot.
Five minutes later Lynn won a free kick on the edge of the box and, with Craig Fishlock substituted, it was Dave Staff who showed how it should be done - Pat Gannon, who had played very well in the Hillians' goal, only managing to get a hand to the shot.

17 March 2004
Midweek results have left Lynn's promotion destiny back in their own hands.
Assuming Lynn win all their remaining matches, and Tonbridge do not start going on goal sprees greater than ourselves, then Lynn will finish top of the league.
Obviously there are a few difficult games to come - particularly against Histon and a trip to Folkestone, but Lynn are nicely placed.
This news is, however, tempered with the possible departure of Dale Watkins whose loan period ends with the game against Burgess Hill Town on Saturday.
A further problem is that although he is out of contract in May were Lynn to want to sign him (further loans not being possible) Chelmsford would require a 2,000 transfer fee - even though there wasn't a fee involved when he was signed from Kettering.

Lynn Reserves went nap for the second successive game when they defeated Woodbridge Town 5-2 on Wednesday night.
A Robbie Harris 34th minute goal was cancelled out just before half time by Leech but Lynn regained the lead through a 57th minute Lee Hyde header. Simon Bush extended the lead on 70 minutes and two minutes later the goal of the night saw a Lee Stevenson long range effort put Lynn 4-1 up. Steven scored his second on 82 minutes before Woodbridge got a late consolation from a Downes shot which took a deflection.
Lynn: Nobes, Harvey, C Defty, Hyde, Fuff, Anderson, Stevenson, Woodrow, Bush, Bacon, Harris. Subs: Cobb, Palmer, McManus, Burton, Doughty.

13 March 2004
Lynn 1 Eastleigh 1
It was not so much Linnets as waders as Lynn dropped home points for the second successive home game. Overnight rain and a shower a few minutes before kick-off made for very muddy conditions.
Lynn dominated the early stages winning a succession of corners whilst the visitors picked up three bookings as they muscled Lynn out of their stride.
Lynn deservedly took the lead on 19 minutes when Dale Watkins fed David Staff who put the ball past giant keeper Colin Mathews.
Staff should have added a second three minutes later when he got the better of the offside trap but put the ball wide with Mathews bearing down on him.
Mathews embarrassingly conceded a corner when spilling a Fishlock free kick but made amends seconds later with a fine save from a long distance effort from Butterworth.
Eastleigh drew level on the stroke of half time through Neil Davis.
The second half produced few goal mouth chances as the conditions and a packed visiting defence dominated. Mark Burrows put a shot onto the top of the bar whilst substitute Lee Stevenson had a shot well saved.
Neil Davis was dismissed for a second bookable offence but Lynn could not capitalise on the extra man and a switch to 4-3-3 in the search for a winner resulted in some heart stopping moments in defence but a draw was inevitable.

2 March 2004
LINNETS defender Gary Setchell has been fined a week's wages and warned over his future conduct after playing in goal for Greenbank of Division Six of the Kettering Sunday League.
The situation is similar to that of Lyndon Rowland a couple of seasons ago although in this case Setchell is not contracted to the club, had he have been then, like Rowland, he would have been sacked.

Lynn have confirmed the signing of former Bradford City midfielder Craig Fishlock on an 18 month contract.

26 February 2004
Lynn have signed Gary Butterworth who left Kettering "by mutual consent" - a club for whom he has made 32 appearances this season.
Butterworth made 196 league appearances for Rushden between 1994 and the end of the 2001-02 season before moving on to Farnborough and then Kettering Town.
Midfielder Butterworth started his career with his home-town club Peterborough where he made 120 first-team appearances before joining Dagenham & Redbridge in 1992.
Transferred to Diamonds in July 1994 for 20,000, he made nine appearances in the England semi-professional side.

24 February 2004
Goals by Jack Defty on 11 minutes and Lee Stephenson six minutes before half time put Lynn back on top the league but an injury to Adam Jones does not help Lynn's injury list.
Hastings starting line-up was the same as that which defeated Erith on Saturday and Lynn's the same the ended the game against Sittingbourne.
Jack Defty's 20 yarder on 11 minutes gave the home keeper no chance. Lee Stevenson made it three goals from three appearances with right foot finish whilst the home side's best effort was straight at Wilson. 

24 February 2004
Lynn travel to Hastings tonight without the injured Mark Camm (out for a week at least), Dale Watkins (hopefully back on Saturday) and Mark Burrows (missing for about a month with ligament damage and a twisted ankle). David Chick continues his trial with Cheltenham.
Of those hopeful of playing Gary Setchell and Adam Jones both took knocks on Saturday. With two players a booking away from at least a games suspension and Glen Fuff beginning suspension on Saturday the next few weeks are going to test the squad's strength in depth.
Lynn (from): Wilson, Jones, Fuff, Setchell, Fishlock, Defty, Holmes, Staff, Harris, Stevenson, Bacon, Woodrow, Hammond, Nobes

21 February 2004
Lynn went nap for the second match in succession but may not be too happy about being caught napping by Sittingbourne at the start and end of this match.
Lynn fell behind on five minutes when  Lynn  failed to clear a scramble in front of their own goal and Corry slammed home to put the visitors in front. Lynn were slow starters but a Fishlock free kick and a Staff half-hit shot tested the visiting keeper before Lynn drew level on 14 minutes. Dave Staff broke down the right and crossed for Dale Watkins to power a header past Fewell. Lynn were not playing at their best with many passes going astray. They needed a goal to calm their nerves and this duly arrived on the stroke of halftime when a  defensive error saw Dave Staff race away to beat Fewell for Lynn's third goal. 
Lynn were forced into substitutions through injury - Robbie Harris replacing Dale Watkins and Daniel Hammond making his debut when replacing Mark Burrows.  It was Robbie Harris who scored number four on 68 minutes when he flicked a Stevenson header home from close range and ten minutes later Stevenson scored his second from the bench in as many matches when he  darted onto a through-ball and hit home via a defender's deflection. On 80 minutes, slack Lynn defending allowed Neal to pull one back for the Brickies. 
Lynn: Wilson, Jones, Setchell, Burrows, Fuff, Fishlock, Defty, Holmes, Staff, Watkins, Camm. Subs: Harris, Woodrow, Stevenson, Hammond, Higgs. 
Sittingbourne: Fewell, Coyle, Bury, Lye, Answorth, Yorath, Gooding, Marsh, Corry, Smissen, Manning. Subs: Neal, Ashmore, Campbell, Dowley, Beeney. Attendance: 847.

20 February 2004
Lynn welcome back Dale Watkins after suspension for Saturday's clash with Sittingbourne but have parted company with loan player Loiue Evans.
Craig Fishlock makes him home debut after impressing against  Erith & Belvedere in midweek.
With the Reserves having no match until Wednesday Lee Stevenson is likely to start on the bench as he bids to gain full match fitness.

18 February 2004
Lynn kept their 100% record against Erith with a 5-0 win. A debut goal by Craig Fishlock set Lynn on their way and a penalty from Gary Setchell put the 2-0 by half time.
There were second half goals by David Staff, substitute Lee Stevenson and Mark Burrows.
17 February 2004
Lynn have been forced to make changes as they travel to Erith & Belvedere for a must-win league game. 
David Chick is taking part in a trial match at Cheltenham whilst in comes new signing Craig Fishlock - a former Bradford City Reserve team player.
Impressive centre-half Daniel Hammond is added to the squad along with Lee Stevenson who is still on the road to recovery after a lengthy lay-off and Mark Camm.
Criag Fishlock was released by Bradford at the end of the 2002-03 season and has more recently been playing for Guisborough Town.
Born in Middlesborough, midfielder Craig will be 21 next week.
Daniel Hammond, who signed for Lynn last autumn, was a former Cambridge United youth player who moved to Lynn from Mildenhall Town.

14 February 2004
With two minutes of the first half remaining it all looked like pretty standard fayre for Lynn with the game evenly balanced.
Then came a moment of madness in the Lynn area which resulted in a number of players being involved in a "handbags" incident and captain Glen Fuff seeing red.
Lynn failed to regroup and were a goal down in the next minute through Jody Thorogood.
Lynn fell further behind on 68 minutes but were given hope in the dying minutes when Gary Setchell converted a penalty at the second attempt - but Ashford restored their two goal lead in the final seconds.
Lynn: Wilson, Jones, Setchell, Burrows, Fuff, Woodrow, Defty, Holmes, Staff, Evans (Harris), Chick. Subs: McManus, Harvey, Nobes.

At The Walks Lynn Reserves managed a 1-0 win against relegation rivals Stowmarket in a match where the result was far more important than the performance - which was just as well as this was not most attractive of matches.
Chris Bacon gave Lynn an early lead when he nipped in between defender and keeper to put the ball home but after that there was little incident of note in a drab first half where misplaced passes and offside dominated.
Stowmarket had their best spell early in the second half but Lynn came back and squandered a number of chances with Chris Bacon missing three including the best of the match when he put the ball the wrong side of the upright in front of an empty goal. Lee Stevenson forced a good save from the visiting keeper but there were few nerves as Stowmarket looked for a equaliser in the final minutes - but Lynn held on.
Lynn: Higgs, C Defty, Hyde, Hammond, Palmer, Heath-Preston (Doughty), Anderson, Stevenson, Cobb, Bush, Bacon.

Lynn Youth Team moved back  to the top of the Authentic Youth League North Division when they defeated  Chatteris Town 5-1 on Monday night.

13 February 2004
Darren Bloodworth and Kevin Boon have been confirmed as the new managers of King's Lynn Football Club following a very successful spell in a caretaker role since taking over from Peter Morris in mid-November. The duo will officially take on the role on 1st March.

Lynn have, however, lost the services of veteran midfielder Paul Raynor who has taken up a full-time coaching post at Boston United.

10 February 2004
Lynn's stay at the top of the league table ended on Tuesday evening when Tonbridge Angels ended Histon's unbeaten away record.
Trailing 3-0 at one stage, Histon fought back to level the scores only to lose out in the final stages.
It was the last result Lynn wanted. A draw would have been ideal whilst a win for Histon would have left Lynn's fate in our own hands - a victory at home to Histon wiping out Histon's games in hand advantage.
So once again we are playing catch-up and relying on the Angels dropping points.

07 February 2004
Lynn went to of the DML Eastern Division with a 4-1 victory over Banbury United.
There was further good news for Lynn in that although the Reserves lost 4-3 at Lowestoft Lee Steveson began his comeback - scoring twice.
05 February 2004
Left wing back Jamie March has left the club - opting to try his luck at regular first team football at Grantham Town.
Returning to Lynn on loan, with a view to a permanent move, is striker Louie Evans from Gravesend & Northfleet. Evans made made ten appearances for Lynn in the 2001/02 Dr Martens Premier Division season when he was signed by Tony Spearing. He then moved on to a number clubs, including Cambridge City and Tilbury before joining Gravesend in December 2002. He also had a period on loan to Bedford Town earlier this season - scoring twice in five outings.

03 February 2004
A crowd of 3,127 saw Lynn removed from the FA Trophy at the hands of Conference team Exeter City. It was, however, a performance of which Lynn can be proud as they had the better of the first half chances but fitness told in the end and the professionals ran out winners thanks to three second half goals. One minor incident marred the game with reports of a couple of coins being thrown in the direct of the Exeter dug-out. The matter has been reported to the FA,

30 January 2004
The good news from The Walks this week was that influential midfielder Lee Stevenson has been given the all-clear to resume his playing career.
Such is the player's enthusiasm for the game that he asked to be included amongst the substitutes for the Exeter game but is unlikely to be risked.
Lee Stevenson suffered a serious cruciate ligament injury in pre-season and has spent the last six months on the sidelines following a 4,200 operation to rectify the problem.

22 January 2004
Goals by Carl Holmes and David Staff saw Lynn to a 2-1 victory over Sittingbourne despite having Dale Watkins sent off for retaliation with some 30 minutes remaining.

22 January 2004
After just 30 minutes of  Dr Martens' League football Alex Notman's career with Lynn has ended,  for the time being at least, after suffering more pain shortly after leaving the field after the 1-1 draw.
The former Manchester United and Norwich City star will now undergo five months rehabilitation and will review his situation before the start of next season when, hopefully, he might be able to take part in pre-season training.

EXETER TICKETS continue to sell well with the two thousand mark now passed.  A capacity of  3,418 has been set for the game with the Tennyson Road end of the ground and the Tennyson Road third of the main stand being reserves for Exeter fans.
Tickets are still on sale at the ground during week and on Saturday between 9am and 12.30 pm plus during the reserve game as well as at the Lynn News offices in  town and Ashill News of Terrington St Clement. Postal bookings are possible - please send a cheque and an s.a.e but do so early to avoid disappointment.
19 January 2004
Lynn have agreed a two month extension to Dale Watkins loan period with a view to making the move permanent.
One possible departure from Lynn is Jamie March - Lynn have received a seven day notice of approach from Grantham. March is not on a contract at Lynn and, since the arrival of Gary Setchell, has found it difficult to get into the starting line up.

17 January 2004
Lynn 1 Folkestone Invicta 1
Lynn came within a couple minutes of getting all three points in this game but were denied by a Flanagan goal in a final minute melee.
Lynn had had the better of the chances throughout the game but did not take the lead until the 56 minute when a Dave Staff "special" free kick was delivered into the top right hand of the Folkestone net from all of 25 yards.
Folkestone, however, managed to salvage a point when Jamie March had fouled on the Lynn left and from the resulting Ayling free kick the ball was forced home in the goal mouth scramble.
Frequent rain showers on a slippery pitch prevented this match living up to its potential but Lynn were the better side in attack and but for a excellent save by Kessell from a Staff shot should have taken the lead just before Staff struck home his free kick. Prior to that Mark Camm had two shots which went straight at the keeper  whilst Jack Defty sent a header just wide.
Just after Lynn scored they introduced new signing Alex Notman who had a quiet 30 minute debut.

16 January 2004
Lynn have signed former Scottish under 21 international Alex Notman. Notman was signed by Norwich in 28th November 2000 for a fee of 250,000 from Manchester United for whom he had made one appearance. 
Alex made his debut for Norwich in the 2-0 defeat at Portsmouth on 2nd December 2000 and went on to make a further sixty appearances scoring just the one goal - a misleading statistic as many of these appearances were as sub.
However damaged ankle ligaments sustained in the 1-1 draw at Ipswich saw him ruled out injured for most of the 2002/03 season. An attempt at a comeback in the autumn of 2003 failed after just one game. In late November 2003, Alex was forced to retire from the professional game.
Alex has also made appearances for Aberdeen (2 apps, 0 goals) and Sheffield United (10 apps, 3 goals). 
Notman has signed for Lynn on a non-contract basis and this will be reviewed on a monthly basis. 

Lynn have also completed the signing of Mark Camm from Lincoln City after a successful loan period. Mark has accepted an 18 month contract.

12 January 2004
Lynn will entertain Exeter City in the 4th round of the FA Trophy on January 31st.
Relegated from the Football League last season the Grecians are currently sixth in the league.
Exeter City are part of Lynn's history as they are the holders of the record gate recorded at The Walks back in 1951 when an FA Cup 1st Round Proper tie produced a gate of 12,937 to watch Exeter run out 3-1 winners.
Lynn even faced Exeter in the Southern League - although on that occasion it was Exeter Reserves in the 1958-59 season.

This will be an ALL TICKET match with tickets available Monday - Friday 8.30 - 4.30 and on this coming Saturday from 9 am at the Commercial Office. Prices will be as usual - 7 for adults 4 for concessions.

10 January 2004
Lynn 3 Basingstoke 1
Two crucial goal line clearances from Jamie March saw Lynn into the last 32 of the FA Trophy for only the third time in their history. This was, however, two of only four goal chances that Ryman League Basingstoke has in the whole game as Lynn carved out a  number of chances and two were denied by the "woodwork".
Both teams suffered early injuries, Basinstoke losing Neville Stamp and Lynn Mark Burrows. David Staff clipped the bar from a free kick in the early stages whilst a second effort starting from a Raynor free kick hit an upright. Basingstoke had a brief period of pressure with consecutive corners but Lynn weathered the storm. 
Lynn took the lead on 41 minutes, Raynor putting Dale Watkins through to score his fifth goal in three games. Basingstoke saw little of the Lynn goal in the first half - their best effort coming after a  Wilson missed punch but the ball was kicked high over the bar and out of the ground. 
Lynn continued to have the better of the exchanges and despite being behind Basingstoke never through caution to the winds in search of an equaliser.
Lynn were, however, slowly running out of ideas - like a boxer well ahead on points but hanging on looking for the bell.
With Watkins off injured, Robbie Harris was causing a few problems for the visitors with his pace but Lynn's second goal came after a period lacking in excitement. With half the crowd waiting for the referee to blow for a free kick David Staff found himself with the advantage and in space and easily beat keeper Scott Tarr.
Lynn were still not performing to best and Basingstoke pulled a goal back when a Jason Bristow corner went straight into the net.
Lynn, however, made sure of a place in the next round when persistence from Robbie Harris provided a third goal to give Lynn a deserved victory in front of a crowd of 1089.
06 January 2004
The Linnets will be doing their upmost to sign influential midfielder Mark Camm on a permanent basis this week but will have to beat off stiff competition from Conference clubs to do so.
Mansfield-based Camm's three-month loan spell expires next Tuesday and, due to a 92-day Southern League ruling, The Walks outfit cannot extend the deal any further.
Lynn's only option left is to sign Camm, who has played a pivotal part in their recent resurgence on the field, but Conference Halifax and Scarborough are also chasing him.
Director of football Kevin Boon said: "Mark has played an instrumental role since he arrived and it would be a massive step forward if we could convince him to sign for the remainder of this season, and next season too.
"I'm hoping 'Biff' Bloodworth and I don't have to bring in another player to replace him as he is someone we would dearly love to have on board permanently.
"He has added quality and energy to our midfield and is brilliant with the rest of the players in the dressing room. "The lad travels down from Mansfield and hasn't missed one training session in his three months with us, which shows how committed he has been to the club."
Boon and Darren Bloodworth will meet with Camm tomorrow in an effort to thrash out a deal, but Lynn will also have to reach an agreement with Lincoln City, where Camm is on contract until the end of the season.
"Gary Simpson and Keith Alexander have been so helpful in the last three months and it would be so good if we could resolve the situation without a transfer fee being involved, but there is still a lot of talking to be done," said Boon.
Lynn also have the small matter of trying to keep Dale Watkins at the club, who has also been a revelation since arriving on a month's loan from Chelmsford City.
Watkins, who bagged a hat-trick on Saturday, has two weeks left at The Walks, but Lynn would love to sign the much-travelled striker on a full time deal now.
"Dale is loving it here, but at the end of the day he is still a Chelmsford player and that's another big issue we've got to work on," said Boon.
Boon also paid tribute to veteran midfielder Paul Raynor, saying: "We hurt Paul's pride when we dropped him, but you have to give credit where credit is due as he has been superb since he came back into the side.
"Paul has given both Biff and I some marvellous advice, as has Keith Rudd, and you can't not listen to people with as much experience as they have behind them.
"Everyone at this club is part of a big team. We are all in this together and if we can continue to work as a unit I'm sure the town will taste the success this club has been crying out for."
Boon concluded by thanking the supporters, saying: "Biff and I have been so impressed and overwhelmed with the backing of the fans over the last couple of weeks, and long may it continue.
"They have given the players and us a real lift, and all we can say to them is keep coming and bring a friend. "We are hoping for a huge gate against Basingstoke on Saturday, in what is another massive game for the club."
Source: Lynn News

03 January 2004
Lynn 6 Chatham Town 0
Lynn started with the same team that so convincingly beat Histon on New Year's Day and from the start showed they meant business with Watkins and Staff both going close before taking the lead on three minutes when Dale Watkins scored after Setchell had put in a headed cross. On 14 minutes Watkins turned provider for Carl Holmes to turn in.
Lynn continued to dominate and had chances to add to their score with Watkins hitting the upright and Staff going just wide.
On 33 minutes  Jack Defty  prodded home from Setchell's corner and then just before half time Watkins scored his second of the afternoon after Staff's shot had only been palmed out by Chatham keeper Hopper. 
On 59 minutes Lynn went nap when Jack Defty headed home Raynor's corner. Lynn introduced Harris and Woodrow for Staff and Defty and immediately scored number six - Watkin's completed his hat trick from another Raynor corner.
The final 20 minutes saw Lynn  playing out time but they still had chances with Watkins going close again. 
When Chatham, having used all their substitutes, were reduced to ten men through injury Lynn sportingly withdrew Camm to keep the numbers even.
* A goal three minutes into injury time denied Lynn Reserves all three points at Tiptree. Chris Bacon had given Lynn a 2-0 half time lead and there were sufficient chances to put the game beyond doubt before Tiptree fought back with 20 minutes remaining.

01 January 2004
Histon 1 Lynn 4
A brace each from Carl Holmes  and  David Staff including a Staffy "special" saw off the challenge of the previously unbeaten Histon.
Histon, without injured leading scorer Neil Kennedy, looked dangerous in the opening exchanges and could easily have been two up in the first ten minutes but for good keeping from Stevie Wilson and the heavy pitch.
Fortunately for Lynn, Histon's ability only showed itself in the opening to this game and just before half time. It was Lynn who took their chances and ran out deserved winners.

A deserved win but with all the other promotion contenders winning there is still a long way to go.
Lynn News Match report