• blueandgold
  • amazon
  • facebook
  • easyfundraising
  • twitter
Our sponsors
Blue & Gold Trust Official Website

King's Lynn 4 Rugby Town 1
12th February 2008
King's Lynn 4 Rugby Town 1 THE Linnets progressed to their sixth league cup semi-final in nine years, and their eighth in total, on Tuesday.
They will now host Hillingdon Borough at home in the last four on Tuesday, March 4, with the fixture taking priority over the Bashley league clash, which has been rearranged for Tuesday, April 15.
Linnets boss Keith Webb said: "It was a good performance and there was a good turnout. It was nice to see the fans getting behind the younger players.
"There were a lot of positives."
Shaun Carey performed well, Matt Nolan scored two goals and the two lads at the back coped well with a lively Rugby attack.”
Shaun Carey captained another young Lynn side which was without Charlie Defty, who was withdrawn as cover for skipper Mark Warren after a knee injury had made him doubtful for next Saturday’s game.
The first chance went to John Turner, heading over after Dan Buhlemann nodded across goal in the eighth minute.
Andrew Fisk hit the bar before Aaron Stringfellow gave the visitors the lead on ten minutes.
With the Lynn defence outnumbered, Stringfellow converted David Pearson’s low left-wing cross at the far post.
But The Walks outfit were level six minutes later thanks to Seamus Kelleher’s second goal in as many errea Cup games.
Kelleher scrambled Mark Heath-Preston’s flick-header over the line despite the attentions of keeper Joel Skeldon.
Heath-Preston somehow missed with a free header, while a great move involving Stephen Harvey and Turner deserved a goal, but Harvey nodded wide.
The game dried up, but just before the break Matt Nolan teed up Fisk, who screwed his effort wide.
Kelleher played a one-two with Nolan and was denied by Skeldon on 53 minutes, while former Linnets favourite David Staff cut in from his wing position and drew a good save from keeper Rob Murray in the 57th minute.
The home side took the lead in the 62nd minute when Heath-Preston’s knock-down fell perfectly for Nolan to coolly volley home with his left foot.
Set-piece specialist Staff got a chance with one of his trademark free-kicks from 25 yards, but Murray was in a good position to save.
Heath-Preston was just over the bar with a free-kick of his own, then fired well wide with the goal at his mercy.
Substitute for the Valley, Ash Blake, was denied by a fine stop from the advancing Murray with three minutes remaining.
Then as fog rolled in to make any prospective extra-time an extreme doubt, the hosts made it safe with two goals from breakaways.
Nolan bagged his second of the night with an even calmer finish after the galloping Heath-Preston’s initial effort was saved.
Heath-Preston finally found the net himself by robbing Skeldon at a ball over the top and prodding the ball into an empty goalmouth.
Lynn gained revenge for last season’s defeat by Rugby at the same stage of the competition.
Lynn: Murray, Harvey, Lake, Miller, Buhlemann, Carey, Turner, Fisk, Nolan, Heath-Preston, Kelleher. Subs not used: Setchell, McAnally, Gilchrist, Nicholls, Glover.
Scorers: Kelleher 16, Nolan 62, 89, Heath-Preston 90+3.
Stats, Lynn first: shots on target 8, 5; off target 7, 3; corners 2, 3; offside 3, 5; free-kicks 13, 11.
Rugby: Skeldon, Scott, Morley, Herbert, Gordon, Breward, Stringfellow (Blake 80), Edge, Curtis, Pearson (Kolodynski 70), Staff. Not used: Aladetoun.
Booked: Scott 52, Edge 70. Scorer: Stringfellow 10.
Attendance: 535. Referee: A. Sannerude (Norfolk). MoM: Seamus Kelleher
Report by permission of the Lynn News