Football Club Investment
If you would like to own part or even potentially all of a club, here is your chance. As I write this King's Lynn Town FC are 5th in the National League North just 2 points from the top. The squad is good, the manager excellent and there is no bank debt other than a 17k bounce back loan that remains. Our academy has over 400 kids in it, does very well and we sell more players than almost any other club. We have decided to look at all options and are open to a coffee and a confidential discussion - I am more than happy to stay involved and indeed would like to do just that. Would prefer a telephone call with any potential investors so please email me with your number at s.cleeve@icloud.com and we can have a quick chat.
Was sent this last evening taken from SC's LinkedIn. Is the repeat of the situation from January.? I thought the Jo/Bal investment had sorted the issue.
Here's a chance for trust to put their money up and buy the club
Never gets mentioned how much he wants for the Club. Statements like this just disrupts the Club.
Smoke and mirrors? Mr Cleeve is surely unlikely to attract a hard headed investor who will undertake due diligence: so he needs a football loving wealthy philanthropist?
Sounds like a 10 year old getting rid of his monopoly set on swap shop :countingmoney:
Everything comes to an end. Cleeve came in with great expectations on what he wanted to achieve. I guess like most owners they get their eyes opened to just how difficult it is to make a success of it and the cost involved. SC must have done a small fortune in his quest for success.
The question is has he left the club in a better place than when he took it over from Buster Chapman ? I think the Clubs accounts answer that one. Still he did oversee some decent times mainly under Culverhouse where the Football offered was a pleasure to watch.
I'm not usually stuck for words...but what the (insert your own expletive) is going on at our club ?????
Just when it looked like things were getting back on track with Joe, Cleeve is trying to flog our club behind our backs. Or bits of it. Why didn't he let supporters know or speak to the trust ?
And I simply don't believe that such a small amount of debt can be accurate.
And I don't believe that Jo and/or Cleeve paid off thousands of pounds of debt, just to walk away with perhaps just a season ticket and a scarf as a momento !!!
So much for our improved media and Cleeve going quiet now appears to be a desperate hope that buyers won't do any due diligence.
Has all this just been done recently as a quick paint job hoping to cover up the cracks to put us on the market before it all falls down.
And never forget that he has the lease so he won't go quietly...
Quote from: Quinn Upstone on November 27, 2024, 07:30:02 PM
I'm not usually stuck for words...but what the (insert your own expletive) is going on at our club ?????
Just when it looked like things were getting back on track with Joe, Cleeve is trying to flog our club behind our backs. Or bits of it. Why didn't he let supporters know or speak to the trust ?
And I simply don't believe that such a small amount of debt can be accurate.
And I don't believe that Jo and/or Cleeve paid off thousands of pounds of debt, just to walk away with perhaps just a season ticket and a scarf as a momento !!!
So much for our improved media and Cleeve going quiet now appears to be a desperate hope that buyers won't do any due diligence.
Has all this just been done recently as a quick paint job hoping to cover up the cracks to put us on the market before it all falls down.
And never forget that he has the lease so he won't go quietly...
My take on the questions you raise.
1) His club, not ours. That's been made very clear.
2) The Trust are supporters. One and the same thing.
3) I don't think anyone has suggested that Jo has paid off any of the debts.
4) I guess the wording on debt is accurate when it says only 17k of BANK debt. Other debt is not with the Bank.
5) Media can only go with information they are given. As long as they publish information as soon as they receive it, that's an improvement to what we had previously. If they weren't informed, they couldn't really inform us.
6) It's the Club (Lynn FC Ltd) that has the lease, not Cleeve.
7) Not sure about terming it a quick paint job in an attempt to cover up the cracks as nothing has really changed since day one. Some just choose to ignore things.
:scarf:
I think the very least SC can do is to release a statement on the state of the party. A statement that is both true and factual and one that holds water.
I can't help wondering how this is affecting Adam Lakeland. In his post match interview it kinda sounded like him and the staff were taking the rest of the week off but would be back in on Monday. Anything to read into that ?
Quote from: Mallard on November 27, 2024, 08:15:50 PM
I think the very least SC can do is to release a statement on the state of the party. A statement that is both true and factual and one that holds water.
I can't help wondering how this is affecting Adam Lakeland. In his post match interview it kinda sounded like him and the staff were taking the rest of the week off but would be back in on Monday. Anything to read into that ?
Can we get back to you on Monday about that one? 😄
No game Saturday. Some aching bones and niggling injuries with lots of games coming up over next 4 weeks. Unusual to get the chance to have a few days break, so taking full advantage of how the fixtures have fallen.
Makes sense.
I'm just surprised that anyone else is surprised.
It clearly states invites to input cash or take over and he still wants to be involved. Obviously he needs more backers but this is not a panic notice yet.
Quote from: Blue_and_Gold on November 27, 2024, 07:51:07 PM
Quote from: Quinn Upstone on November 27, 2024, 07:30:02 PM
I'm not usually stuck for words...but what the (insert your own expletive) is going on at our club ?????
Just when it looked like things were getting back on track with Joe, Cleeve is trying to flog our club behind our backs. Or bits of it. Why didn't he let supporters know or speak to the trust ?
And I simply don't believe that such a small amount of debt can be accurate.
And I don't believe that Jo and/or Cleeve paid off thousands of pounds of debt, just to walk away with perhaps just a season ticket and a scarf as a momento !!!
So much for our improved media and Cleeve going quiet now appears to be a desperate hope that buyers won't do any due diligence.
Has all this just been done recently as a quick paint job hoping to cover up the cracks to put us on the market before it all falls down.
And never forget that he has the lease so he won't go quietly...
My take on the questions you raise.
1) His club, not ours. That's been made very clear.
2) The Trust are supporters. One and the same thing.
3) I don't think anyone has suggested that Jo has paid off any of the debts.
4) I guess the wording on debt is accurate when it says only 17k of BANK debt. Other debt is not with the Bank.
5) Media can only go with information they are given. As long as they publish information as soon as they receive it, that's an improvement to what we had previously. If they weren't informed, they couldn't really inform us.
6) It's the Club (Lynn FC Ltd) that has the lease, not Cleeve.
7) Not sure about terming it a quick paint job in an attempt to cover up the cracks as nothing has really changed since day one. Some just choose to ignore things.
:scarf:
Thanks for your help with clarifying some of my thoughts. I'll try to respond to your points.
1) Unfortunately I agree with this one. I was so taken aback that I became delirious and entered a parallel universe where we actually had some control over the club.
2) It wasn't my intention to suggest that the trust members are not supporters of the club. I apologise for my clumsiness.
3) and 4) I agree with your analysis.
5) I agree that the current media setup is much better than it's been in a long time, which is to be applauded. My point here was a cynical suggestion that it has only been improved to impress any potential buyers.
6) Thanks for clarifying this one for me. Could you perhaps outline what impact this could have in the future i.e. post-Cleeve.
7) I'm perhaps sceptical about Cleeve's intentions. I believe that he's trying to create an imaginary club for buyers and he's being shady...at the very least.
Quote from: Quinn Upstone on November 28, 2024, 01:59:30 PM
Quote from: Blue_and_Gold on November 27, 2024, 07:51:07 PM
Quote from: Quinn Upstone on November 27, 2024, 07:30:02 PM
I'm not usually stuck for words...but what the (insert your own expletive) is going on at our club ?????
Just when it looked like things were getting back on track with Joe, Cleeve is trying to flog our club behind our backs. Or bits of it. Why didn't he let supporters know or speak to the trust ?
And I simply don't believe that such a small amount of debt can be accurate.
And I don't believe that Jo and/or Cleeve paid off thousands of pounds of debt, just to walk away with perhaps just a season ticket and a scarf as a momento !!!
So much for our improved media and Cleeve going quiet now appears to be a desperate hope that buyers won't do any due diligence.
Has all this just been done recently as a quick paint job hoping to cover up the cracks to put us on the market before it all falls down.
And never forget that he has the lease so he won't go quietly...
My take on the questions you raise.
1) His club, not ours. That's been made very clear.
2) The Trust are supporters. One and the same thing.
3) I don't think anyone has suggested that Jo has paid off any of the debts.
4) I guess the wording on debt is accurate when it says only 17k of BANK debt. Other debt is not with the Bank.
5) Media can only go with information they are given. As long as they publish information as soon as they receive it, that's an improvement to what we had previously. If they weren't informed, they couldn't really inform us.
6) It's the Club (Lynn FC Ltd) that has the lease, not Cleeve.
7) Not sure about terming it a quick paint job in an attempt to cover up the cracks as nothing has really changed since day one. Some just choose to ignore things.
:scarf:
Thanks for your help with clarifying some of my thoughts. I'll try to respond to your points.
1) Unfortunately I agree with this one. I was so taken aback that I became delirious and entered a parallel universe where we actually had some control over the club.
2) It wasn't my intention to suggest that the trust members are not supporters of the club. I apologise for my clumsiness.
3) and 4) I agree with your analysis.
5) I agree that the current media setup is much better than it's been in a long time, which is to be applauded. My point here was a cynical suggestion that it has only been improved to impress any potential buyers.
6) Thanks for clarifying this one for me. Could you perhaps outline what impact this could have in the future i.e. post-Cleeve.
7) I'm perhaps sceptical about Cleeve's intentions. I believe that he's trying to create an imaginary club for buyers and he's being shady...at the very least.
6) The lease is an asset of the Limited Company (Lynn FC Ltd), and not a personal asset of Cleeve's. I doubt its of much use to anyone other than someone that want's to run a Football Club from it. I have no idea what value it has placed on it. The lease has been extended (so new investors could be found), so it has got the benefit of a long lease.
I would guess the stated book value could be quite high and form a sizeable % of what the Club is valued at. i.e. on paper probably one of, if not the, main assets.
The problem here could be two parties agreeing what the true value of the lease (and any other asset) really is. Its true value will be debatable, even with the benefit of the rent being Peppercorn.
My thoughts are it will probably be one of the main points during discussions with any potential investors.
As with most things, the true value can only be ascertained when buyers and sellers agree a price.
Regarding your question regarding the situation "Post Cleeve", that depends why he has become "Post". If the lease reverts back to the Council, who knows what the outcome will be. They have hardly covered themselves in glory in the past, although there is fresh blood in there these days, so hopefully there would be some Blue Sky thinking.
Perhaps the awaited Football Governance Bill has made SC think that the club needs to be managed differently. This will appease some supporters however there are some deluded ones who think that it can be run by a supporters trust without a large financial input.
I wonder how many fans would be perfectly happy to see the Club at step 3 with a part time squad, self sufficient in terms of outgoings be fully supported by income. With a locally based team with a locally based Manager ?
Quote from: Mallard on November 28, 2024, 07:04:05 PM
I wonder how many fans would be perfectly happy to see the Club at step 3 with a part time squad, self sufficient in terms of outgoings be fully supported by income. With a locally based team with a locally based Manager ?
Clubs need to learn that they need to play sustainable football.
That should be the first priority.
Some supporters are deluded enough to think other people will continually subsidise their Saturday afternoons football and pay to keep a club at a level that it can't really afford to be at.
People wouldn't run their own household finances like that.
They wouldn't run their own business finances ike that.
They wouldn't expect their boss to run his business finances like that.
Seems when it comes to football, common sense goes out of the window.
Why people expect others to pay for their entertainment is beyond me.
:dontknow:
:salute:
B & G that's the sensible approach but when people with lots of reddies come along they turn it upside down and fans expect more especially when the the new money promises or has a vision.
Logically with the current attendance Step4 is probably our level.
Wrexham and Gorleston in the County play at step 4. Have a look at their attendance, Linnet. Think we can afford to aim a bit higher than that
Quote from: Linnet465 on November 28, 2024, 07:27:39 PM
:salute:
B & G that's the sensible approach but when people with lots of reddies come along they turn it upside down and fans expect more especially when the the new money promises or has a vision.
Logically with the current attendance Step4 is probably our level.
When will they ever learn? :laughcry:
Nothing wrong with being part time and using some local players but you have to have the ambition to go through the leagues otherwise what is the point of having a team.
Quote from: Mallard on November 28, 2024, 07:04:05 PM
I wonder how many fans would be perfectly happy to see the Club at step 3 with a part time squad, self sufficient in terms of outgoings be fully supported by income. With a locally based team with a locally based Manager ?
What a terrible thing to say. Clueless & ridiculous. Zero ambition on this forum.
Quote from: gs50 on November 28, 2024, 08:24:43 PM
Nothing wrong with being part time and using some local players but you have to have the ambition to go through the leagues otherwise what is the point of having a team.
Yes, strive to get as high as possible without compromising the financial security of the Club.
Quote from: Hello Kitty. on November 28, 2024, 09:07:16 PM
Quote from: kieranuptoon on November 28, 2024, 08:55:35 PM
Quote from: Mallard on November 28, 2024, 07:04:05 PM
I wonder how many fans would be perfectly happy to see the Club at step 3 with a part time squad, self sufficient in terms of outgoings be fully supported by income. With a locally based team with a locally based Manager ?
What a terrible thing to say. Clueless & ridiculous. Zero ambition on this forum.
:laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:
Back at you Kieran.its probably one of the most sensible things I've heard.
What's wrong with having the ambition to stop the club you support from going bust?
On this forum?Don't know what you are comparing it with to say that?Surely not the clueless drivel we see on Facebook?
So what's your plan for the future?Are you going to remortgage your house and give your own money to Mr Cleeve so the club can keep paying to play at a level it can't afford?Or are you expecting someone else to pay for that?
Come on,show us the ambition you talk about. 🤣
No idea why you're piping up, all you are is a massive negative Nelly!!
Never usually see you on here after wins, just sniping from the sidelines after a loss. How many times have you actually been to The Walks?
:laughcry:
Kieran whatever you may think about ambition how do you fund a playing staff of in excess of £1m on gates of a 1000. ? You do the math and let's us know the answer.
Quote from: Mallard on November 28, 2024, 09:18:20 PM
Kieran whatever you may think about ambition how do you fund a playing staff of in excess of £1m on gates of a 1000. ? You do the math and let's us know the answer.
There is one club in the National League that turn a profit. The fact football clubs lose money isn't a new and fresh idea.
Would you celebrate if we got relegated?
I did the maths when SC announced we were going full time and reckoned we needed 2,300 through the turnstile. I think the FA cup game against Stevenage, Grimsby and Boston ? Maybe the only games that satisfied that criterion.
Quote from: Mallard on November 28, 2024, 09:18:20 PM
Kieran whatever you may think about ambition how do you fund a playing staff of in excess of £1m on gates of a 1000. ? You do the math and let's us know the answer.
Well Mallard, I keep trying to make it add up and have done for a long time.
I keep coming up with the same answer..........you don't.
I'll listen to anyone that has got the answer though.
In the same way Kieran would you be happy if the Club went pop again because of the ambition that couldn't be sustained?
SC ran out of cash to support it earlier this season and was in days of shutting the doors.
Quote from: Mallard on November 28, 2024, 09:34:06 PM
In the same way Kieran would you be happy if the Club went pop again because of the ambition that couldn't be sustained?
SC ran out of cash to support it earlier this season and was in days of shutting the doors.
I am not shocked you dodged my question. :dontknow:
I was gutted when we got relegated from the NL after SC borrowed £500k to stay up. I was even more gutted when we went out of business under Bobbins and ended up in the UCL.
Still waiting to hear how you would balance the books and how it would be if we went pop
Again. No rush take ya time
Quote from: kieranuptoon on November 28, 2024, 09:25:02 PM
Quote from: Mallard on November 28, 2024, 09:18:20 PM
Kieran whatever you may think about ambition how do you fund a playing staff of in excess of £1m on gates of a 1000. ? You do the math and let's us know the answer.
There is one club in the National League that turn a profit. The fact football clubs lose money isn't a new and fresh idea.
Kieran, surely that's the point and what people are saying is actually wrong. Nobody said it's a new or fresh idea, in fact quite the opposite. People are getting sick and tired of a few people playing Russian roulette with the Clubs they have supported, some for decades.
It's hardly justification for Chairmen to saddle Clubs with debt and risk it's very survival.
I'm sure it is a fact, but surely you don't think it's right and how it should be? :dontknow:
Absolute silence from Cleeve and the club...just keep paying your £21 little people...obviously the cash didn't come from Singapore Joe after all.
Quote from: Linnet465 on November 28, 2024, 07:27:39 PM
:salute:
B & G that's the sensible approach but when people with lots of reddies come along they turn it upside down and fans expect more especially when the the new money promises or has a vision.
Logically with the current attendance Step4 is probably our level.
Step 4?! We're a much bigger club than the vast majority down at step 4. Step 2 is our level for me at the present moment and we should try to maintain that. Even at step 3 we are one of the more larger clubs.
Quote from: A Well Wisher on November 29, 2024, 08:47:35 AM
Quote from: Linnet465 on November 28, 2024, 07:27:39 PM
:salute:
B & G that's the sensible approach but when people with lots of reddies come along they turn it upside down and fans expect more especially when the the new money promises or has a vision.
Logically with the current attendance Step4 is probably our level.
Step 4?! We're a much bigger club than the vast majority down at step 4. Step 2 is our level for me at the present moment and we should try to maintain that. Even at step 3 we are one of the more larger clubs.
As disappointing as it is, it would seem that financially we can't afford this level.
Quote from: Blue_and_Gold on November 28, 2024, 03:56:48 PM
Quote from: Quinn Upstone on November 28, 2024, 01:59:30 PM
Quote from: Blue_and_Gold on November 27, 2024, 07:51:07 PM
Quote from: Quinn Upstone on November 27, 2024, 07:30:02 PM
I'm not usually stuck for words...but what the (insert your own expletive) is going on at our club ?????
Just when it looked like things were getting back on track with Joe, Cleeve is trying to flog our club behind our backs. Or bits of it. Why didn't he let supporters know or speak to the trust ?
And I simply don't believe that such a small amount of debt can be accurate.
And I don't believe that Jo and/or Cleeve paid off thousands of pounds of debt, just to walk away with perhaps just a season ticket and a scarf as a momento !!!
So much for our improved media and Cleeve going quiet now appears to be a desperate hope that buyers won't do any due diligence.
Has all this just been done recently as a quick paint job hoping to cover up the cracks to put us on the market before it all falls down.
And never forget that he has the lease so he won't go quietly...
My take on the questions you raise.
1) His club, not ours. That's been made very clear.
2) The Trust are supporters. One and the same thing.
3) I don't think anyone has suggested that Jo has paid off any of the debts.
4) I guess the wording on debt is accurate when it says only 17k of BANK debt. Other debt is not with the Bank.
5) Media can only go with information they are given. As long as they publish information as soon as they receive it, that's an improvement to what we had previously. If they weren't informed, they couldn't really inform us.
6) It's the Club (Lynn FC Ltd) that has the lease, not Cleeve.
7) Not sure about terming it a quick paint job in an attempt to cover up the cracks as nothing has really changed since day one. Some just choose to ignore things.
:scarf:
Thanks for your help with clarifying some of my thoughts. I'll try to respond to your points.
1) Unfortunately I agree with this one. I was so taken aback that I became delirious and entered a parallel universe where we actually had some control over the club.
2) It wasn't my intention to suggest that the trust members are not supporters of the club. I apologise for my clumsiness.
3) and 4) I agree with your analysis.
5) I agree that the current media setup is much better than it's been in a long time, which is to be applauded. My point here was a cynical suggestion that it has only been improved to impress any potential buyers.
6) Thanks for clarifying this one for me. Could you perhaps outline what impact this could have in the future i.e. post-Cleeve.
7) I'm perhaps sceptical about Cleeve's intentions. I believe that he's trying to create an imaginary club for buyers and he's being shady...at the very least.
6) The lease is an asset of the Limited Company (Lynn FC Ltd), and not a personal asset of Cleeve's. I doubt its of much use to anyone other than someone that want's to run a Football Club from it. I have no idea what value it has placed on it. The lease has been extended (so new investors could be found), so it has got the benefit of a long lease.
I would guess the stated book value could be quite high and form a sizeable % of what the Club is valued at. i.e. on paper probably one of, if not the, main assets.
The problem here could be two parties agreeing what the true value of the lease (and any other asset) really is. Its true value will be debatable, even with the benefit of the rent being Peppercorn.
My thoughts are it will probably be one of the main points during discussions with any potential investors.
As with most things, the true value can only be ascertained when buyers and sellers agree a price.
Regarding your question regarding the situation "Post Cleeve", that depends why he has become "Post". If the lease reverts back to the Council, who knows what the outcome will be. They have hardly covered themselves in glory in the past, although there is fresh blood in there these days, so hopefully there would be some Blue Sky thinking.
B&G, thanks for your explanation re the lease. I'm afraid some of this financial, business and ownership stuff makes my brain ache. It all makes as much sense to me as NFTs. And that's zero.
Think I'll stick to my Sudoku.
I believe that trying to determine the optimum sustainable level for our club is in a way 'putting the cart ahead of the horse'. In my opinion the current owner's strategy has alienated a significant number supporters, some of whom over many years willingly gave up their time to volunteer, taking on various rolls including fundraising. Additionally from the outset the cost of sponsoring the club allied to the owner failing to 'sell' his business model to them meant many last minute attempts to find such as a match sponsor. By way of comparison, in years gone by many individual player sponsorships would be signed up ahead of the season ! How many.of the current squad are sponsored ?
Overlay all of that with a seeming inability or unwillingness to really connect with supporters, through understanding the difference between a supporter who feels a part of the club and a customer.
I for one would welcome back a club that is genuinely part of the community, that was part time and who attracted local players, even if they did not come through our much heralded academy. Just the occasional local breaking through into the first team squad, for me would add considerable value to the match day experience.....Dare i mention Jack Defty ?!
If that all came to pass at steps two, three or even four i would be delighted and who is to say that with the right set up that step two is not sustainable ??
Great offer has come through from the Club
December games are now on sale with a special Black Friday offer giving you £10 off all adult and concession tickets if you buy a package ticket for both the Scarborough match onSaturday 7th December and Alfreton onSaturday 14th December meaning that 2 standing match tickets will cost you just £14 each!
Great deal for the fans this, unless you are a season ticket holder.
Quote from: Mallard on November 29, 2024, 07:56:40 PM
Great offer has come through from the Club
December games are now on sale with a special Black Friday offer giving you £10 off all adult and concession tickets if you buy a package ticket for both the Scarborough match onSaturday 7th December and Alfreton onSaturday 14th December meaning that 2 standing match tickets will cost you just £14 each!
Great deal for the fans this, unless you are a season ticket holder.
That's a VERY good deal.
Chairman must be in the Christmas spirit already. :xmascheers:
It's not the usual way he goes about things, and with Jo and Bal supposedly coming fully on board soon and the additional revenue that should bring in, I do wonder why this is being done now. :dontknow:
Maybe it's a big push to bring in money to help things along into the new year. Was round about this time last year when it seems money ran tight. So makes sense to get some marketing ideas out there. I just hope it doesn't involved a sale of any assets. Wasn't it just after Christmas that Adam Crowther was sold to Southend?
Quote from: Mallard on November 29, 2024, 09:57:27 PM
I just hope it doesn't involved a sale of any assets. Wasn't it just after Christmas that Adam Crowther was sold to Southend?
I can't see a repeat of last season. This squad is only just strong enough as it is without losing someone.
Management will be well aware of that.
Quote from: Mallard on November 29, 2024, 07:56:40 PM
Great offer has come through from the Club
December games are now on sale with a special Black Friday offer giving you £10 off all adult and concession tickets if you buy a package ticket for both the Scarborough match onSaturday 7th December and Alfreton onSaturday 14th December meaning that 2 standing match tickets will cost you just £14 each!
Great deal for the fans this, unless you are a season ticket holder.
I am a season ticket holder and got a different offer I think:
Black Friday weekend exclusive for season ticket holders
We're offering an exclusive 20% discount on all home and away shirts, scarves, and hats for this weekend only!
🛍️ Don't miss out! This limited-time offer is exclusively for our valued season ticket holders and ends at midnight on Cyber Monday.
Make sure to login to your ticketing account to see any available deals.
Two things bother the Dillathon computer. 1) Mall and others, myself included, were gutted when we were relegated from NLN, and more so when we dropped into the UCL. But talk of getting a local team with local players is, to me, dropping down to those levels voluntarily, which imho would be tragic, and kill off a lot of interest. 2) Our complete lack of development of the ground is a hindrance to attracting new investors. This time of the year we see FA Cup ties at similar level clubs to ours, and can see how their infrastructure has starkly outgrown ours over the years. I feel that without proper terraces and cover behind both goals, most potential investors would find it difficult to imagine enough potential to attract their interest and investment. I realise it's a chicken and egg situation.
It's interesting reviewing the comments posted after SC's comments on Linked in.
The main item that concerns me is he has made no comment (as usual) and are we heading to a new crisis point or has Joe and he started a plan to move the club forward?
What' Food got to do with it Dill ? :laughcry:
When I say local I don't mean a 10-20 mile radius of Lynn but something along the lines of what Culverhouse had in at the Club. Since then we have heard good things about the academy so surely that is a plus point in putting a more locally based team together.
Royston Vasey FC.
All local! 😄
It was nothing personal Mall, as I realise there are a lot of people who fancy a more locally based team playing at a lower standard. That would be the end of any possibility of progress, imho. The "food" reference was merely of the question as to which would come first, the infrastructure/chicken that would attract wider investor interest, or the investment/egg that could improve the infrastructure and the club as a whole. Considering we built one of the best non-league stands in the 50s, it's disappointing we've basically done nothing, or reduced, ever since. And personally I don't believe "Academies" are much help at our level, because any players with potential will probably go to bigger and better clubs than ours. I'm hoping the new Finance director will have some ideas and contacts....
It's not so much having a locally based team for the sake of it but more out of what can be afforded. For the Club to be self sufficient players would need to be travelling a limited distance. As has been said many times we are out on a limb in terms of location and players want extra to travel bigger distance to play. I don't see how we can afford a full time squad on gates averaging 900-1000. However that should still be able to support a decent part time squad. Now whether that makes us a step 3 or a step 2 side is always going to be subjective.
Other teams manage to make step 2 work on a part time basis. So with the right infrastructure it could work for Lynn as well.
Quote from: Mallard on December 01, 2024, 05:23:18 PM
It's not so much having a locally based team for the sake of it but more out of what can be afforded. For the Club to be self sufficient players would need to be travelling a limited distance. As has been said many times we are out on a limb in terms of location and players want extra to travel bigger distance to play. I don't see how we can afford a full time squad on gates averaging 900-1000. However that should still be able to support a decent part time squad. Now whether that makes us a step 3 or a step 2 side is always going to be subjective.
Other teams manage to make step 2 work on a part time basis. So with the right infrastructure it could work for Lynn as well.
Mallard I'm in 100% agreement. Other clubs seem able to sustain level two status with a part time squad on lesser average gates than we get,. Who knows what could be achieved by a club built on solid foundations rather than sand, that genuinely connected with the community. I well recall Tommy W saying that there appeared little or no connection with the club when he went walkabout in the town. He may have had an ulterior motive but he was not wrong. I wonder why, outside of the hard core support that there is so much apathy??
:laughcry:
Apathy, there are too many other "attractions"
Too much football on television with a Saturday lunchtime game.
The " younger ones" often have no appetite for physical sport preferring to tap their fingers at home. Look at the local football leagues and there are not anywhere near the same number of teams as there was in the 70's.
Where wives and children used to come they don't because they or their spouses don't want them subjected to the abuse spouted by ill mannered supporters
As has been mentioned before there has been no ground improvements to attract more supporters.
Although it is not as expensive as going to a league game it's still expensive if you add other costs if coming in from outreaching towns and villages.
Then there is the attraction of Heacham, Downham, Swaffham and Fakenham football to compete with.( I have no idea of the costs but it may be more convenient and offer a reasonable afternoon's entertainment
People are more home orientated.etc.etc
Another nail in the coffin of lower league and non-league football today as it was annunced they are doing away with the 3 o'clock embargo
on live TV matches
Along with no F A Cup replays for Round 1 onwards the big boys are trightening their grip
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/football/british-football-s-saturday-3pm-tv-black-out-set-to-be-scrapped-having-been-introduced-in-1960-during-talks-for-next-broadcast-deals-as-the-number-of-games-shown-live-continues-to-increase/ar-AA1v8oeB?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=ACTS&cvid=16a45c35002e4a9985bcb33679f917e3&ei=240
Your Local Paper columnist Mark Hearle reflects on what has been happening at The Walks in his latest weekly column.
"The Linnets probably produced their best performance of the season last week when they dispatched National League North high flyers Kidderminster Harriers by a 4-0 margin at The Walks.
However, before, during, and after the game, much of the terrace talk was taken up with chairman Stephen Cleeve's social media post, made a few hours before the Tuesday evening kick-off, in which he appeared to make either part or all of the club available for sale if the right person or offer came along.
All of the chat should have been about Adam Lakeland and his squad.
To add further mystery to an already cloudy-looking situation, the post was removed the same evening but not before it had been saved and shared by many Lynn fans, wondering what was happening.
From a club perspective, the timing wasn't the best, and that's being polite.
I'm sure Lakeland would have been less than pleased to have been made aware of such things when he should have been preparing his side for a big match and his chairman appeared to be attempting to test the water on either a part or full sale of the football club.
It was only a couple or so weeks ago that the chairman was enthusing about the Linnets achieving 'global branding', with many plans in the pipeline to stabilise the club's financial base for the future also being mentioned, so to see this kind of statement has left many with any interest in the club confused.
To date, the club or the chairman have not commented on either the statement's contents or its withdrawal after posting which has only served to add more fuel to a fire that continues to smoulder before igniting fully.
In truth, the club's media hands are tied on the matter.
The statement came from the chairman's account and not the club's so the club as such has nothing to comment on as it stands. As well as that, a football club's media team can only issue any kind of statement or information when they are told something, and as of yet they appear to have not been told anything. The problem is that, in this instance, silence isn't golden and it's down to Mr Cleeve to clear up the mess his post has created and fill in the supporters with the full picture, not just half of it".
:scarf: l agree totally it's a right f*** up destined to smoulder more discontent
Poacher turned game keeper there ? Maybe he should have a listen back to some of the podcasts he was involved in with SC when he was on the payroll at the Club. I guess what ever fits the narrative at that particular time.
So that's why the post was deleted. :countingmoney:
Quote from: MARCUS ROSE on December 07, 2024, 11:11:58 AM
So that's why the post was deleted. :countingmoney:
Do you mean the new investor that came on board?
EDP article today:
"There was some consternation last week when I put a post on my personal LinkedIn page about an opportunity to invest in King's Lynn Town and then removed the post later.
Situations in football are very fluid and can change quickly. The opportunity to invest in the club was there when I posted, and very shortly after was taken; as a club we are always open to investment and no doubt always will be, in the same manner that many other football clubs at all levels will also be.
There has always been a small number of people that have peddled misinformation about me and my intentions, so it is worth clearing these points up.
I have put in significant investment into the club over the years and I am quite prepared to write all this money off. My wife told me just before I penned these words that, "The club is like a child to me, it is far more than just a business".
She is, of course, right. The club to me is bigger than any individual and I always have the interests of the club close to my heart. Delia Smith at Norwich City stood aside when she felt the time was right, writing off a fortune in the process, and I am sure that Norwich felt like a child to her at times as well. Clubs are precious things.
The point that I am making is that I always have the club's best interest in mind and will never be an obstacle to the club in its journey for success.
I am proud of our achievements. We have a wonderful manager in Adam Lakeland who knows and 'gets' football and is a gentleman to work with. I love engaging with Adam and chatting football with him. I am sure that he does not agree with all my views or points, but he probably understands why I make them. He is without doubt the best manager that I have ever worked with.
His assistant, Sam Walker, is another great guy, and I am delighted to spend time with him whenever I can and listen to his experiences. He is a top person. I am pleased that we have such a strong academy and education program as well as a charity that is making in-roads into the community. When I first started, we were lucky to have 10 children in the stadium - now we have hundreds at every game and watching pupils at KES school last week on a school visit leaving wearing their Lynn bobble hats and scarves filled me with pride.
Commercially, revenue is up 10-fold since I took over and we have sold a huge number of players to all levels of the footballing system.
When I walked into The Walks nine seasons ago if I had said at my first press conference that we would be playing, in the FA Cup, Port Vale, Portsmouth, Doncaster Rovers, Walsall and Stevenage and have over 4,000 fans at home against York City in what turned out to be a promotion decider, I would have been ridiculed. But these things came to pass.
In essence, we have achieved a lot together, but I fully understand that in football we must always look to the future and I will continue to explore ways to help the club grow and "level up".
We have now won two home games in succession with Kidderminster Harriers being dispatched 4-0 in a result that was kind to our visitors.
The team that the manager has built has come together and is playing some wonderful football, which is very pleasing on the eye. I will continue to support him as we push towards promotion. The focus should be on the players and getting behind the boys as we play Scarborough Athletic this afternoon.
Getting shirty
One of the most annoying deals that the National League signed is to make clubs wear New Balance numbers and letters on the back of our shirts. These numbers cost a fortune, and every season New Balance never have a complete stock in the UK of every letter, meaning that what should be a simple job becomes a complete mess.
EZ Teamsports Limited operate under license from New Balance and this week they went into liquidation, owing our club the best part of £2,000. I have been complaining about this issue for years and asking the league to allow us to print everything ourselves, but my requests have always fallen on deaf ears, even though many clubs in the National League have suffered with similar issues. I do hope going forward that the league will learn from this debacle and allow simplicity to rule. I do not know why deals are done that bring in little revenue and give us logistical headaches especially when the companies chosen are simply not up to the job".
' The club is like a child to me'.
It's a shame he has never been able to grasp what the Club means to it's supporters. He would have had a far more vibrant business if he had.
Is the word "we" the royal "we" ? :dontknow: (it's not our club remember)
I know I'm just a tiny bit cynical... but Cleeve's mea culpa statement should have been unnecessary. He should never have sent the LinkedIn post to begin with. Drunk texting ?
I think I liked him better when he was quiet.
Just more self pitying drivel. A new investor ? No mention of Joe ?
Mmm sauerkraut or coleslaw anyone :cheers:
:scarf: I just wondered whether supporters at bigger clubs ie MU Arsenal etc have supporters so disgruntled or feel that they are just customers!
Quote from: Linnet465 on December 14, 2024, 05:48:27 PM
:scarf: I just wondered whether supporters at bigger clubs ie MU Arsenal etc have supporters so disgruntled or feel that they are just customers!
FC United of Manchester. :dontknow:
:scarf: That proves my point those clubs are just so big all they want is your money.
Quote from: Linnet465 on December 15, 2024, 07:28:50 AM
:scarf: That proves my point those clubs are just so big all they want is your money.
That's all some smaller clubs want as well.
It's good news that certain sensible and logical initiatives are now being taken but i am still dismayed by the seeming smoke and mirrors policy towards those who both support and have a life long interest in the club. It is not necessarily about intricate detail but i would genuinely love to know the extent of Joe's involvement and whether we have another investor on-board. In similar vein, who is running the commercial side, is there going to be a supporters club etc etc Is that all too much to ask? It would appear so.
I'm sure I read a few months back in James White's programme column that a new Supporters Club was being formed. Did this in fact happen ?
As for Jo, Bal and whoever else is involved ( or not as the case may be), can the supporters of the Club notice any real difference ? Just seems the same 5h1t, different day. Nothing really changes.
There's obviously some positive changes going on. Presumably that's down to Bal.
Yet still we are being kept in the dark. We know Bal is here, we can see what he's doing, he talks to people at the ground on match day, but unless I've missed it, there's been no official announcement to him actually being an official at the Club.
So call out to Bal. People are impressed with what you are doing, presumably still with restrictions. If you can't answer any questions when it comes to Joe and his financial dealings with the Club, can you please tell us what the status is regarding yourself?
You must have realised by now how the clubs customers don't like being kept in the dark. They want to be treated the way supporters should be. You've previously been involved with a Club that involves it supporters and you know the benefit that brings.
So, can you please give us an update on your situation and involvement at the Club (ie your official involvement). Hopefully the same question regarding Joe will be answered shortly after. Are you officially here and on the payroll? If not, what's the hold up?
Hopefully any information you are kind enough to give us won't just be a standard "I haven't reported anything as there's been nothing to report".
We've heard nothing but good about you. Hopefully you will agree that communication is of the utmost of importance.
Perhaps an announcement will be made this coming week, and possibly news of one player out and a former linnets goal scorer back in who has been in training with the Linnets
Quote from: Jono on December 15, 2024, 06:20:08 PM
Perhaps an announcement will be made this coming week, and possibly news of one player out to PS and a former linnets goal scorer at national level back in who has been in training with the Linnets
Williams out, Marriott in? :dontknow:
Is it true that Marriot as been training with us or is it bar lambs
I feel that SC has done a great job since he has been here, even a miraculous job for a club which has never progressed as far as most of its opponents from the day the Main Stand was opened, to put a time relevance to my point. I believe the lack of further ground development has caused disinterest in the club for locals and beyond, because we haven't reached the level to attract them. But SC has kept us in with a chance of progress, even now....
Quote from: dillydilly on December 16, 2024, 09:41:35 AM
I feel that SC has done a great job since he has been here, even a miraculous job for a club which has never progressed as far as most of its opponents from the day the Main Stand was opened, to put a time relevance to my point. I believe the lack of further ground development has caused disinterest in the club for locals and beyond, because we haven't reached the level to attract them. But SC has kept us in with a chance of progress, even now....
Fully agree with your comments regarding 'ground development ' but the club many years ago regularly competed at the highest level of non league and that with a part time team. Then though there was no autonomic right of promotion to what is now division two.
I would think that "doing a great job" should be judged by the overall condition of a Club.
Surely there's far more to it than just judging things by the level a club is playing at, and it's current league position. :dontknow:
Quote from: Blue_and_Gold on December 15, 2024, 07:40:58 PM
Williams out, Marriott in? :dontknow:
Ponticelli has left Halesowen
Now with Tamworth
Marriott was an used sub on Saturday against F Green.
Are Boston still operating on a hybrid system or have they gone full now they are in the National League ?
Quote from: Blue_and_Gold on December 15, 2024, 07:40:58 PM
Quote from: Jono on December 15, 2024, 06:20:08 PM
Perhaps an announcement will be made this coming week, and possibly news of one player out to PS and a former linnets goal scorer at national level back in who has been in training with the Linnets
Williams out, Marriott in? :dontknow:
Maybe a Cully connection and his new club
:dontknow: Marriott in? he is now 3.5 seasons down the age road, if I am correct he never scored many goals since leaving and has missed several games through injury.
There's no Gash to lay the balls on for him.
Am I pessimistic or correctly dubious?🤨