Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Topics - TonyM

Pages: [1] 2
General Discussion / Guiseley
« on: March 14, 2020, 11:20:59 AM »
So... with todays game on (as at 11am at least) what do people think IC should do?  Does he stick with the 5-6 lads who had to be 'carried' on Tuesday evening or does he bring in lads off the bench, or even those who didn't make the bench, to freshen things up?

Personally I don't think we have ever seen such a strong squad at the Walks so my preference would be to shake it up a bit and would certainly like to see Fox, Payne and Kelly in the starting lineup at the expense of Burrows, Jarvis and Power but appreciate you could make a case for a number of other lads too.  I don't think we need to be worried about resting players for the fixture congestion in March anymore so probably just a case of going out there today and giving the fans a good (potential) final game of the season

General Discussion / Atrincham on Saturday POSTPONED
« on: February 20, 2020, 01:52:41 PM »
Yet more rain in the forecast for the north west over the next couple of days which isn't likely to help us.  Big question for IC is how much he rings the changes from the side that lost at Chester, even though the winner came in injury time and he thought we gave them their goals they also had plenty of other chances on the highlights but hardly unexpected as they are a good side. 

I am not a fan of Burrows at left back but IC seems to want to shoehorn him in there, for me I would go with a back three and play wing backs, leave Richards and Alfie to sit in the middle of the park and then we have plenty of options for the front three.  I think Sonny has been unlucky to be the one sacrificed for Power and maybe Saturday might be the time to give Southwell his first start but I think you could make a case for any of the attacking options to slot in with Marriott, just need to find the right combination as maybe teams have started to work us out a bit more.

General Discussion / Squad
« on: February 01, 2020, 11:35:40 AM »
With the two new arrivals increasing competition within the squad are the next three games (against currently bottom 4 opposition) an opportunity for IC to rotate / tinker a little bit to make sure that a) those lads that were looking a bit leggy over Christmas get a break and also b) everyone within the squad gets a bit of game time and stays sharp for the run in?  I appreciate all games are important and no-one we play is going to just roll over to help our promotion bid but we now have so much quality I think there may be some scope to rotate before the two big away trips to Chester and Altrincham later in the month. 

Obviously the new lad up front needs some minutes and whilst Gash has been huge for us this season, I don't think it would hurt to give the big man a rest, likewise perming any two from Henderson, Power, Carey, Kelly and Hawkins will still create plenty of chances in most games and now might be an opportunity to let Richards rest his hamstring or give Jarvis a bit of a break before the final 'big push'.

General Discussion / 2 in, 2 out
« on: January 23, 2020, 10:21:54 AM »
So the arrival of Power and Southwell sees the departure of Stewart and Limb.  Wish them all the best and would hope they will be able to find new clubs for the rest of the season as both probably need games more than anything else with limited opportunities this season.

General Discussion / Boston (New Years Day)
« on: December 27, 2019, 01:13:53 PM »
Do we know what areas of the ground Lynn have been allocated, presume the Jakeman's terrace and some of the seated area at the other end of the ground?  Don't think they operate the same sort of box office as Lynn so just pay at the turnstyle?

General Discussion / Programme for Dover
« on: December 09, 2019, 01:16:53 PM »
Does anyone know why there won't be a programme for the Dover game - comments in both SC's and Mark Hearle's columns to this effect.

General Discussion / View from the Chair
« on: December 04, 2019, 02:07:35 PM »
The club are running another event in the B&G.  Tomorrow it is the turn of SC to face what I would assume will be a fairly gentle Q&A session with Mark Hearle.  Everyone is very keen to stress this isn't a fans forum so don't go with that expectation but even so its a chance to hear SC's take on things and maybe a nod or two towards things that are in the pipeline and there might be the odd question from the floor at the end.

Tickets are 9 in advance or 10 on the door (inc a hot dog and a pint) and as they are still pushing this on Twitter, my guess is it isn't yet a sell out.  Doors open at 6.30 for a 7pm start

Hope to see as many there as possible.

General Discussion / vs Hereford 10th August
« on: August 08, 2019, 06:29:08 PM »
Looks like my query re segregated matches will get tested this weekend

No comment in the article as to on who took the decision to segregate the crowd but hopefully all passes without incident.  Think will be a much tougher test than we faced Tuesday evening.

General Discussion / Squad
« on: July 04, 2019, 01:21:17 PM »
With the fixtures now out, I'm just hoping for a cool August, eight games in the month is going to take its toll on what looks to be another year of running with a smallish squad (IC has said he is only looking to bring in a defender plus a.n.other).  I am still concerned that we don't appear to have strengthened enough but IC is talking up the current crop of players to be able to make that step up and I guess time will tell, I also wouldn't have been that upset had we found an alternative to Bastock with some solid Conf North credentials but I guess IC is happy with him.  On the plus side retaining the bulk of the squad and IC having a full pre-season with them should mean we are reasonably cohesive come the start of the season and with Kettering and Hereford as the first two home games that gives us the potential to get a bit of confidence early on.

General Discussion / Steering Committee
« on: May 31, 2019, 10:57:58 AM »
The club have just Tweeted about a 'new' Steering Committee to help SC and improve communications within the club

Sounds like good news although I would have assumed this would have already been in place (maybe I assume too much), anyway I suppose it is good news that it now exists and also good news that a new videographer is on board for next season.  My only concern is that it does look like the same old (established) faces and would be good to see a few new names in the frame, key quote for me from the article "We have a small but very dedicated team of people behind the scenes" which is great that they are dedicated but running a Conference North set up does need a solid infrastructure.

Also positive noises from the Friends but again maybe the same faces again?  Does anyone know about their AGM date or how committee recruitment appeal went?

General Discussion / Play-off ticketing
« on: April 15, 2019, 08:44:34 AM »
Something to debate, was this pushed by the club or council?  Although this looks like a done deal, thankfully as things stand I don't think that even if we get that far in the play-offs we will necessarily be at the Walks as would be a massive PR disaster for the club.

General Discussion / Squad
« on: January 17, 2019, 01:42:43 PM »
So, with a couple of new recruits in and MC on his way out where does that leave the squad?  Some are looking for midfielders, some forwards a lot of which I guess depends on your preferred starting formation and where you see the strengths and weaknesses of the current squad.  My twopenneth:

I think we are better as 3-4-3 with an option of maybe going with 2 centre halves and Jarvis sitting just in front rather than as part of a back three.
Defenders - think Robinson looks a good acquisition and Kerins has played centre half so four options there plus FBT filled in as one of the three sometimes last season
Midfield - I think we are OK with Jarvis, Clunan, Parker centrally plus Jones may well challenge for one of these spots when fit and FBT/Kerins/Richards/Jones taking the wider positions
Up front - perm any three from Parker, Hawkins, Henderson, Gash & Marriott

OK, we could maybe have a more 'solid' ball winner in the middle of the park and I would like to see some cover for Gash up top (which isn't Limb imo) but other than that when everyone is fit that is probably a good enough squad for IC to work with and finish in the play-offs.  The other key question would be if we do add to the squad/starting 11 can the club afford to have a bench of (say) Parker, Richards, Jones, Henderson + a.n. other?  Obviously injuries can take their toll at times and Christmas undoubtedly stretched a squad missing a fully fit Jones & Henderson and now Gash & Richards with missing last Saturday (do we have updates on either?) another body wouldn't hurt, even if it was a loanee, but no club will want to loan out someone to warm our bench.

General Discussion / Kettering
« on: December 27, 2018, 09:03:46 AM »
So 6 from 6 over Christmas but guessing Saturday will be a much sterner test, that said IC couldn't wish for a better time to face Kettering with the team on a great run, a striker on the back of a hatrick and all the front players all getting a run out and playing less than 90 minutes in midweek.  A win would take us within 10 of Kettering at the half way mark of the season which is still a big ask but still think IC is a huge factor and with him at the helm its certainly doable, just still worry that the squad depth could be the deciding factor on the run in and we could still do with an extra body or two.

General Discussion / Programme notes
« on: November 27, 2018, 01:31:55 PM »
I refrained from the debate over SC's programme notes re the Trust a couple of games back but saddened to see he went back there this weekend with more of the same nonsense.  Is there not anyone who has his ear who can let him know how damaging these attacks are for many Trust members who he does at least now acknowledge are fans of the club (as if this was some sort of surprise to him).  Now I am not saying I fully support everything the Trust board do but one thing is for sure, SC's programme notes must be one of their biggest recruiting sergeants. 

The irony is that the the final section of SC's notes go on to highlight the unfairness of the benefactor owner model and talks about clubs having to be sustainable!

General Discussion / Sense of proportion
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:15:58 PM »
Not sure what has brought this on this season, perhaps its testament to how much we have improved on the pitch, but there seems to be a lot of criticism of off the field operations when there has to be an acceptance that we are what we are - a non-league outfit playing semi-pro football at step 3 in the pyramid with aspirations of step 2 (anything more is pure fantasy imo).  So with that everyone, myself included, have to accept that there will be times when roles that are covered by professionals in a league club are undertaken by volunteers at KLTFC and when you are dealing with volunteers you have to accept that however willing, there will be times when they are unable to meet the same standards as a professional, whether that is in the standard of stewarding, media coverage, marketing expertise, programme editing, website moderating, grounds maintenance or whatever.  This isn't to knock any of the people currently in the roles mentioned, far from it, but however much we may wish for things to be 'better' unless we are prepared (and can also prove a greater level of competency and commitment than the current postholders) to take things on then I think we all need to be a bit more grateful for what we have.

Pages: [1] 2