Author Topic: A progress report - of sorts?  (Read 4646 times)

rod

• View Profile
A progress report - of sorts?
« on: November 15, 2015, 10:55:18 AM »
At face value yesterday's result does not bode well for the remainder of the season? However it would seem that clinical finishing and defensive errors was the essential difference between the two teams?

If so - story of our season so far?

Perhaps over simplifying but it would seem to me that Setch' and Buster have choices to make: -

1. Speculate a little in the belief that we can make the play offs
2. Stay much as now with a continuing and generally popular emphasis on youth with mid table the objective
3. Stick with 2. but attempt to get a better and more consistent return from the two / three experienced players who should be setting an example and 'leading' the youngsters.

If we are obviously settling for mid table that will likely have negative implications for the level of support as the season wears on?

THE DUKE

• View Profile
Re: A progress report - of sorts?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 11:19:04 AM »
I was there at Nantwich yesterday and let you know what I saw and the views of supporters of many years the Home side were short of their best player and the surface was slick with rain but light during the match not much wind the Nantwich players were bigger in the upper body, stronger in the tackle far better technique and faster including a 39 year old centre forward. We skidded about like Bambi on ice were the studs too short a familiar story a supporter of 60 years said we looked like a Sunday league team by comparison it was agreed tactics training and aptitude have to change or results and crowds will suffer.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 11:48:43 AM »
Thanks for that Duke.............Perhaps light weight by comparison would be a fair summary?

Lack of experience and the fact that youngsters will make mistakes and hopefully learn from them, we can live with? But fitness issues and the fact their experienced players made such a big impact is exactly why I keep banging on about the lack of impact consistently made by our so called senior players.......Oh for a 35 year old Paul Raynor to lead from the front and dictate from mid field!!

THE DUKE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 03:41:31 PM »
It gives me no pleasure to report on the Lynn Team at present and I do not criticise individual players  it seems to me and others a collective lack of tactics to suit the current players. A special thanks to a group of Lynn boys behind the goal who kept shouting the future of the club one hopes.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 03:45:38 PM »
To be fair to Setch he has built his team to play in the Southern Divsion of the Glue League. I always feel the Nothern section is more physical League and players always appear to be bigger and stronger.

I really can't see us signing that striker who could maybe notch the goals that would hopefully push us into the top 5. Question would be is this lack of ambition or just lack of money? So it would appear we are going to go with Mulready, Hlliard, Stevo and young Edge to try and grab the goals. I wonder if Setch should ask Robbie Back to step in and do some coaching with the strikers. The reasons ? Well the Reserves seem to have no problem finding the net at their level ( another 4yesterday) plus Backie was a decent goal scorer back in the day, and finally whoever is coaching the strikers at moment  it would appear to not be working.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 06:06:30 PM »
hmm the reserves game was  the exact opposite. with the bigger stronger side swept aside. by quick one touch, pass and move football. no "hoof ball". the keeper always having an outlet for a short pass or throw. highly enjoyable to watch.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 12:39:39 PM »
Thanks Marcus a sensible post amongst some drivel. The reserves performed well on Saturday and the defence with Matty Castellan, who should have been with the first team, outstanding, Matty Bussens, playing only his second game, was outstanding and Spits and Tom McLeish giving their usual performance, again outstanding. This gave the rest of the lads the opportunity to play some really good football and 4-0 flattered Woodbridge who hardly had a shot a goal.
As for the idea that somehow Robbie should swop places with Neil is so ridiculous it beggars belief. The reserves have now got a new coach, not manager, to help Robbie and Curly with that side of the game, welcome to Sean McQuaid.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 01:04:16 PM »
What is Ross McNeils postion now with Rerserves as I saw his name was on the offical teamsheet on Saturday. 

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 02:47:58 PM »
Backie was banished to the stands by the FA and, as far as I know, our coach has left, so Ross was giving Curly a hand. Ross has no position with the reserves but under the new system all managers and coaches are in contact all the time. We did have Neil keeping an eye on us a couple of games ago. Happy days.