Author Topic: A good day for real football?  (Read 5978 times)

rod

• View Profile
A good day for real football?
« on: September 28, 2016, 01:19:02 PM »
I felt physically sick when I first heard the revelations about 'fat Sam'...............But was I surprised - NO! Just the tip of a very large iceberg....However much he may grovel and apologise about his 'misjudgement' (please!!!) there is just one word that comes to mind GREED!!

Yet the FA allegedly have rewarded him with a 1m severence payment.........You rerally couldn't make it up and undoubtedly now the lunatics are firmly in charge of the asylum.

He was already a very wealthy man and I wonder how many of those that subscribe to Sky and BT and / or pay the inflated prices charged at Premiership and to a certain extent Championship level now feel - as they are in fact fueling this gravy train?

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: A good day for real football?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2016, 01:30:09 PM »
Not the first time Shady Sam's dealing have been looked at.  Panorama did an expo on him a few years back.  This Express story has been in the making for 10 months.  Looks like a slack of care on the old due Diligence from The FA.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2016, 01:51:23 PM »
I fear he is just one of several! One of the obvious ways to start the draining of this cesspit would be to make players / managers personally responsible for ALL payments to their agents?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
Rod, Its not something new... Go back to the days when George Graham got the tin pack from Arsenal.  Even back to the days of when Players like Peter Swann got banned.  Where's a few quid around you will always get people who want a bit more.  Shady Sam obviously needed more than the 3m plus bonus he was working for.

Squire of Langham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 02:13:21 PM »
Just as well he wasn't in charge of the travel arrangements  :bus:

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 02:24:57 PM »
Rod, Its not something new... Go back to the days when George Graham got the tin pack from Arsenal.  Even back to the days of when Players like Peter Swann got banned.  Where's a few quid around you will always get people who want a bit more.  Shady Sam obviously needed more than the 3m plus bonus he was working for.

Absolutely but now there is so much more money slushing around and in the days to which you refer, agents were largely unknown? As Chris Waddle said last night, in his early career he had an accountant and solicitor to represent him in contract negotiations.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 02:51:00 PM »
More worrying than the 400k, which he was going to ask the FA if he could do it, was the knowledge about third parties buying clubs and or players and that he said there is any easy way round those rules. Also that once you had been involved in such dealings there was a further 5 or 10% to be made from future deals etc. When the TELEGRAPH have finished dribbling their information out, over the next week or so, things may be much worse. Not surprised Sam has gone to Spain asap!!!!
I do however have little faith in what the banned/unlicensed agent has to say, I think the paper needs more concrete evidence before they make their case.

rod

• View Profile

Squire of Langham

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2016, 07:31:27 PM »
The FA need to get tough and stop pussy footing around, what did they do regarding Tevez and the third party player ownership when he saved West Ham from relegation, old boys act comes to mind.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2016, 07:16:35 AM »
Ex Linnet Tommy Wright now named and suspended by his Club Barnsley. 5K in a brown envelope, so the report says. Is it really worth it for 5k ? Job, career. Reputation on the line for that amount of money.

Linnet1947

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 08:29:39 AM »
With the appalling sums of money in top football, greed naturally follows. Look at FIFA and EUFA !
Top footballers earn enough to retire after one season !  This is wrong !
I remember when they earned 100 quid a week, and it was thought wrong then !
Will it ever be sorted ?

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2016, 11:07:36 AM »
With the appalling sums of money in top football, greed naturally follows. Look at FIFA and EUFA !
Top footballers earn enough to retire after one season !  This is wrong !
I remember when they earned 100 quid a week, and it was thought wrong then !
Will it ever be sorted ?

I wondered if it was the same Tommy Wright - seem to recall he joined us as a player (winger?) and then became coach, alongside Spearo?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2016, 11:46:36 AM »
That's the Chappie Rod,  wasn't he ex Leeds and Scotland ?

Lets be honest about this Money in plain envelopes isn't just something that happens in the Pro game.... Look what Steve Evans was convicted of while at Boston... Yet he came back to manage the same Club before moving on to Crawley, Rotherham and Leeds.    Maybe he was one of the unlucky ( Lucky) ones who got caught. 

In The Non league game  I would assume that all the money that comes through the gate is cash.  Easy to lose a few of the gate here and then... No VAT,  little slush fund to use for the odd player.... Anyone like to say they don't think such things go on ?

Linnet1947

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2016, 12:03:18 PM »
Understating the crowd, and skimming a bit of the top was common in non league foootball years ago.
Does it still go on ?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2016, 01:23:28 PM »
Tommy Wright sacked by Barnsley... That didn't take long.   Hope he thinks it was all worth 5K.