Author Topic: Hungerford away 23th NOV  (Read 12810 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Hungerford away 23th NOV
« on: November 23, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »
Thats a toughie on a Monday night after having a 600 miles Plus trip on Saturday.  Hopefully the players who were taken off Saturday was just to save their legs for tonight.  Good to see Stevo bagging a hat-trick and finally getting the rewards his undoubted skills deserve.   

Will Setch go with the same starting 11 ? I guess unless he is going to tinker with the formation, then that is a given. 

To think if we can get a result here tonight we could be up to the heady heights of 6th, sitting right on the tail of the play-off places.  I guess if that were to happen, then this team/squad is very much ahead of where many ( myself Included) thought we would be at this stage.  Would certainly be a fantastic first half to the season ( well almost half). We have no distractions with any Cup competitions so  the focus now can be all on the league.

rod

• View Profile
Re: Hungerford away 23th NOV
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2015, 12:22:05 PM »
After such a fantastic win on Saturday, tonight should be very much about 'mind ruling over matter' with the whole squad being on an incredible high?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2015, 01:58:07 PM »
Would settle for a Point, even after Saturday. 

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 07:09:33 PM »
Will there be any live updates?

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:26:07 PM »
Will there be any live updates?
Yes.
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Paddygray

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 08:21:49 PM »
Not looking good, 2-0 down.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 08:16:23 AM »
Ok we have nothing to show in terms of points, for last night, But this kind of result says a lot about how far this young side has come, in a relatively short space of time.   It is no disgrace to go to a top 3/4 side on a cold wet Monday night, go 2-0 down and not throw in the towel and fight back to only lose 2-1.   Its all about steps, and this squad are taking giant ones.  Loads of postives to take from this result least of all we won the 2nd half 1-0

Be interested to hear the views on the performance from someone who was there.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 09:54:57 AM »
Turned off the live feed last night pretty quickly due to the constant negativity.

It was always going to be a tough ask going to a side that had only lost once on home soil during a midweek; us having covered over 1,000 miles travelling with two fixtures in three days.

Following some of the more "respected" views on Twitter, yet again our players never gave up despite going 2-0 down early on, getting back into the game late on and giving ourselves the chance of bringing home a point, which I'm sure we would all have taken prior to the game. Fine margins too having been denied by the woodwork 60 seconds before their second goal.

I'm just at a bit of a loss to understand all of the negativity I read, particularly on the live feed.

Around the end of August I expressed concerns to Setch about where things were heading. We'd won only two games out of our first six and what concerned me most was that we'd only scored two goals in those six games. He was more than happy to speak to me at the time and talk about what he was building at the club. I still totally buy into what he is trying to achieve and firmly believe that if we all stick with it and continue to get behind this squad, it will bear fruit in maybe the next 2-3 years.

The one thing we all need now, is patience. It's been said before that we need to remember how young this squad is. David Bridges and Lee Stevenson are our only two players over the age of 30, then with the exception of Lee Smith and Jacek Zielonka, the rest of the squad is 25 and under. Many of these lads have stepped up from lower levels and on the whole have done very, very well.

Rome wasn't built in a day, but I do believe that this squad has already made good progress since the start of the season.

One other thing for the "critics". Much has been said in previous years about certain players coming to the club (this includes the KLFC days), either ex pros or obvious talent on high wages - and their commitment has been questioned at certain points along the way when we've fallen short. I don't think anybody who has watched the team play this season can look at this group of players and question their commitment. They WANT to play for King's Lynn. They want to win for King's Lynn, and you can see that it hurts them when they don't. Something that in my opinion you don't see often enough from footballers at all levels of the game.

Do people want short term glory like we had in the final 5-6 years of KLFC, or something that is longer term and sustainable towards the future of the club?

That is my rant. Thank you.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2015, 10:27:35 AM »
Robbo You makes some interesting points.  The live feeds are open to all, maybe some of the people on there are not dyed in the wool Lynn fans. Then again everyone is entitled to their opinion and just because fit with other peoples views, does it make it any right or wrong.  I seem to recall on updates from last seaosn there were people on there make less than favourable comments about these self same highly paid imports, and other posters then moaning about these posters, but Robbo were they also wrong ?

I think Setch has certainly hit on to something this season, not sure if this was out of necessity or through some kind of master plan, it matters little which ever way, the fact is it is something that is now working and the fans will hopefully buy into. 

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 11:10:17 AM »
The second half of last season was so painful to watch. Collective performances were poor, to the point that many fans that were going week in, week out (and perhaps some of the players too) were resigned to losing a game from the minute we conceded a goal. Many voted with their feet. I've never felt like that watching Lynn before, and I've been coming to The Walks long enough to watch struggling Lynn teams and relegation seasons.

The additions of Marshall and Stevenson added some steel to the squad, but it was largely a team already in freefall. What used to hurt the most was how some of the players didn't look too bothered as they walked off at the end of games. Let's be honest, we only stayed up by virtue of beating Witton and Trafford who were both poor teams that finished below us and got relegated.

Without trying to apportion blame for what went wrong last season. For years supporters have been crying out for more young, hungry local players. Setch has listened, and made it happen (I imagine lots of managers out there wouldn't have done or wouldn't have been in a position to). We're not doing bad this season. We're not going to win every game, nor do we have the divine right to. So let's embrace this squad, get behind the lads and give them all the support they need and deserve.

loyallinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 11:18:49 AM »
Great post Robbo, I went onto the Live feed last night and soon went what a complete waste of money for the Trust, same old moaners on there week in week out and not even talking about the game. I don't see the point of it no more with social network etc. There is so many twitter facebook feeds or the internet where you can follow the GAME and not put up with the same old moans every week about having experience players and Buster not doing this or that its getting all a tad boring now get over it and move on, Setch and Co are sorting things out now for the good.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2015, 11:22:58 AM »
Setch is no mug he knew last season he had brought a collection of players to the club who were there for the pay day, that team, as you rightly say nearly got us relegated.  So the clear out came at the end of the season.  Setch knew he he didnt have the budget to go out  and sign a boat load of new 'imports' so he had to get players in on a budget, and the easiest way was to go local, and build for the next five years.  So rather than by design the new youth policy was kind of forced on the club.  Despite the Official website still maintaining that the Budget had been increased this season, several people in the know have confirmed this is not the case.

Setch certainly now has the club on the right track, some may say it should have been done a year or 2 back, rather waste money on certain imports who didnt  give a rat's ass about the Club.  However thats not to say we cant have the odd import brought in where there is a gap to fill that we cant do with home grown talent.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
Some excellent points made and I certainly buy into the youth policy - something that I have been advocating for years. But yes, we need to be patient....No more short term fixes - please!!!

With regard to last night's live thread it seemed to me to be much more about political point scoring and attempted one upmanship, than that of a live match report?

I also found it interesting that many of those posting comments were 'new' names to me??

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2015, 12:22:29 PM »
I totally agree with you Robbo. Setch has started a total rebuild of the club with the introduction of the U18's and the reserves fitting more into the club as well, we should be fully integrated next season. The progress from where we were at the end of last season to where we are now has been massive. Setch has already introduced several young local players to the first team squad and they have shown what the future can be with performances these young players have given. The Reserves last season could not have attracted all the youngsters because we could not offer them much game time, now we have so many to call on we are spoilt for choice. Robbie has been giving many of the U18's game time which will only help them progress. We now have a club managed and coached by local people at all levels, except David Bridges who along with Lee Stevenson is very important to the progress of the young players.
Tonight the Reserves play Downham Town in the Norfolk Senior Cup with a forward line of Frohawk, Edge and Hilliard and Birdy back in defence, after he did the club proud with his performances for the first team. Some, if not all,of these players would probably not be here under last seasons regime.
As for the 1st team match feeds I rely on to follow the games, being with the Reserves, they have been totally spoilt by morons who are only on there to stir trouble and who spend little time posting about the game. I now try to look at  just the team sheet and the score. This is not about peoples opinions at all just s**t stirring, I don't know if anything can be done about it but it needs looking at IMO.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2015, 12:41:18 PM »
I think all genuine Lynn supporters are right behind Setch and path he has taken this season.  It really is like a breath of Fresh air after a couple of season of at best treading water and in particular last season going backwards.  The trouble it seems with all football these days is that fans, Club Owners want success and want it yesterday.  Managers dont get the chance to built something going forward as its all about results.  For sure everyone wants to see their team win, no matter how.  Thats todays game.  Could this one of the reason that crowds ( at Non League Level) appear to be dropping off.  I have just seen the gate for last night.... Just over 100 people.  Which is around the same level as our Reserves.  It begs the question to me is why the people runnign these clubs bother, when only a 100 or so fans can be bothered to turn up and watch a step 3 game, where is the future in that ?  We can count ourselves very lucky at lynn that we have average gates of in access of 450 paying supporters.

As for The Updates, I dont believe that those posting on there are Lynn fans as soon as Lynn go behind in a game out they come, with negative posts. Genuine Lynn fans   Last season i could well understand,   as we were a club going nowhere, fast.  Players Not turning up others maybe picking and choosing their games and overall a certain lack of effort being applied.

Tazzy, Will Young Jack Freind also be included in the team tonight or is he not eligible for County Cup games ?