Author Topic: Cambridge City away  (Read 8103 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Cambridge City away
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2015, 09:57:45 AM »
Anyone know why the Ground share arrangement at Histon ceased ?  It seemed a total match for both clubs and the fans.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »
I feel really sorry for Cambridge City supporters right now. I know their manager has been there 10+ years in spite of some of the challenges the club has faced. Demotion from Conf South in 2008 due to ground grading, the controversy surrounding the sale of Milton Road. Subsequent ground share agreements and also their proposed new ground in Sawston currently "on hold" due to complications after an initial approval.

Histon was an ideal location for ground share being so close to Cambridge, but the level of rent they were charging CCFC was a large factor in the decision to move after the initial two year deal expired. It's a shame the two parties couldn't work something out because there were benefits to both clubs at a time of need. Local football for City and rent money to Histon. City also had to fund ground improvements at St. Ives to bring it up to Southern Premier standards before the share deal was rubber stamped.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2015, 12:49:14 PM »
Sounds Like they  the future isnt that Rosie

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2015, 01:38:42 PM »
I think that before long circumstance (support and sponsorship) will result in either some form of merger or the demise of one or the other to at best play at a lower level than currently, as Camb' United attract the bulk of support in the area and non and lower league support generally continues to decline and they will not be unique in having to face up to the reality of non league football life nowadays?

At what point does it become unrealistic and uneconomic to play in front of just over 100 spectators (Hungerford) at semi-professional level?

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 05:18:06 PM »
Game re-arranged for Wednesday 3rd February.

I only hope that Cambridge City have the pitch inspected in the afternoon and travelling supporters are kept up to speed well in time to prevent another fiasco.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2015, 10:58:29 AM »
Hope it stays dry for several days prior