Author Topic: An impossible dream?  (Read 4238 times)

rod

• View Profile
An impossible dream?
« on: February 10, 2017, 03:56:40 PM »

Whether or not we have as a club reached our optimum level is a subject that has been debated many times over the years not least on this forum and whilst it makes sense to be realistic, I for one have always felt that those who believe we are where we should be are taking an overly negative view of our potential.

My view has always been that a well structured and managed, community based club could over time attract a level of support that would rival the majority of non league clubs and not be far off some in Division Two.

The success of Sutton United brought this subject back to mind and I have had a look through the history of that club and what really stood out is their involvement in the community and their success with a vibrant youth development policy, which has unearthed a regular supply of talent, some of whom have been sold on to league clubs…I don’t believe that they have a particularly wealthy benefactor (?) and their gates are nothing to write home about - last season 1043 and this 1562, admittedly a circa 50% increase but of course they have and are still enjoying a phenomenal run in the FA Cup. But that aside they are now an established Conference side existing on gates that we would be well capable of replicating? So are they potentially a bigger club than us?

The argument that they are situated in a densely populated area works both ways as they have much more league football competition on their door step. So although FA cup success is to an extent luck of the draw, is there any reason why we as a club should not be regularly amongst the elite of Non League football – I think not…..Sometimes success or failure can become a self fulfilling prophecy?

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: An impossible dream?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 07:13:07 PM »
Wow 6.5k a week based on a 40 week season. Unless our new owner is going to put his hand in his pocket £12 admission is not going to cut it to compete at that level

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 09:51:01 PM »
Wow 6.5k a week based on a 40 week season. Unless our new owner is going to put his hand in his pocket £12 admission is not going to cut it to compete at that level

he already is mallard. 10,000 times a month. apparently.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 06:37:59 AM »
Ticket prices at Sutton are £15 for an adult. I couldn't locate the accounts on their website but presumably they also generate revenue through the use of their 4G?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2017, 07:47:39 AM »
Thanks for that Stan. So with a shortfall on gate admission and no 3G pitch to generate revenue our owner would have to dig even deeper for the club to compete at that level  or find something different to generate a consistent flow of income. Seen little evidence that he has those capabilities thus far

Barmy856

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2017, 09:08:12 AM »
This talk of 3G pitches all seems a bit pointless . When we reach Mr Cleeve goal of The Football League in the new few years , it would need to be dug up anyway as they were banned in 1995 from the pro game

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 09:08:57 AM »
Thanks for that Stan. So with a shortfall on gate admission and no 3G pitch to generate revenue our owner would have to dig even deeper for the club to compete at that level  or find something different to generate a consistent flow of income. Seen little evidence that he has those capabilities thus far

Presumably Sutton will have to dig deeper as well if they get to League football as they would have to give up their artificial surface.
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2017, 10:07:18 AM »
Confused.com here. What is the difference between a 3G pitch and a 4G? Is there even such thing as a 4G surface ?

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2017, 10:07:40 AM »
The simple answer to generating revenue to build a team capable of reaching the dizzy heights to which some aspire is increasing the size of the attendances. The people of King's Lynn need to get on board with the project. The club need to do more to get people through the turnstiles. Putting the onus on the team to be successful first is to make the players and management solely responsible for the success of the club and assumes that the potential supporting community have no part to play in this.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2017, 10:11:11 AM »
Confused.com here. What is the difference between a 3G pitch and a 4G? Is there even such thing as a 4G surface ?
I just got a large Vodafone bill for my son's mobile data usage 
So 4G probably still on my mind!

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2017, 12:24:49 PM »
I have not seen the Sutton accounts but wonder how much they generate via sponsorhip as their match day income would not be anything special. I just used Sutton as a case in point but there are  other clubs who consistently play at a higher level, without being owned by a mega wealthy individual, who are not potentially bigger clubs than KLTFC???

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »
I have not seen the Sutton accounts but wonder how much they generate via sponsorhip as their match day income would not be anything special.

Match sponsorship            £1,800
Miscellaneous sponsorship £61,650
Sponsors' Club                  £9,300

Gate receipts
Senior team league matches  £34,447
Senior team cup matches       £3,700
Senior team friendly matches £11,409
                                            £49,556

The senior team gate receipts don't add up!  Is that per home match? They get around 1500 for a home game. If you assume that the average ticket price is £10 then that would = £15,000 per home game. Where does £34,447 come from, I wonder? I'm not expecting you to know Adam...

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2017, 02:50:40 PM »
Would love to see similar comparative figures for us!