Author Topic: BACKIE'S Blog  (Read 6240 times)

tazzywazz

• View Profile
BACKIE'S Blog
« on: December 03, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »

Backies Blog

As we are nearly at the half way point of the season i thought i would update you all with my second blog. We have currently played 16 league games in the Thurlow Nunn Division one league, winning nine, drawing two and losing five, we are still in the quarter finals of the Norfolk senior cup and League challenge cup. Unfortunately we went out of the Division one cup against Stowmarket losing 1-0, myself and Marc this game felt like a victory for us as we fielded at least nine youth team players, and we dominated long periods of the game and we was very unlucky not to come away from the game with something, the club has a very bright future with all these lads coming through its exciting times.

The youth team which was only put together by Ross Mcneil and John Stocker in a few weeks shows how far some of these lads have improved in such a short space of time, both Ross and John deserve a lot of credit for this. Four or five of these lads have pushed themselves forward to be in my squad on a regular basis and Dylan Edge has been a regular in the 1st team squad, i was very proud to see Dylan sign his contract for the club and get his first goal for the senior side, and he will hopefully score many goals for the club in the future.

The spirit around the club as a whole at the moment is very good, the young players can see if they apply themselves in the correct way and work very hard that Gary and Neil will give them a chance with the senior side if they are good enough, the young lads only need to look at Simon Bird, Liam Fryatt, Jack Frohawk, Dylan Edge and Tom Mcleish as examples of this. The target for this season hasn’t changed its all about development of the local talent we have at the football and push these players as far as they want to go, of course i want to finish in the top half of the table and have a good run in the cups myself and Marc will always have that winning mentality and that won’t change but the develpoment will always come first.
i know Gary has been invloved with the Kings Lynn in the Community and improving links in the community in general, i have also been down to watch a couple college games and had a several conversations with Dan Buhlemann and Kings Lynn legend Keith Rudd about player development and local talent.
I have continued to work very closely with Gary off the field and the club has many exciting things in the pipeline for the future and i believe as whole we are closer to the supporters than we have been in the past.
I would like to thank the supporters who have followed us so far, some of the home games have been fantastic and the lads really appreciate this, i think we have had over hundred supporters every home game so far.
Before i finish my blog i would just like to thank the Reserve committee and Double G, without these people we wouldn’t function and the help they give myself and Marc is fantastic.
Its still a great honour for me to be manager of reserves and will continue to try my very best for the football club.
Hope Everyone has a fantastic Christmas and New Year
Backie

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: BACKIE'S Blog
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 12:04:58 PM »
Excellent blog from the Manager.  He certainly comes  across very well.  The future certainly looks rosie in his hands.  One little thing I know he said he was looking for top half, but that looks a little conservative and I can see no reason why they cannot finish top 3.  IF this were the case would they then accept promotion and change their name ?

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 12:33:13 PM »
Many thanks Backie and Marc for their kind words for the committee and of course G&G, it's great to see Gordon back at the games. Backie and Marc are doing a great job for the club, forming a great partnership with Setch, Neil, Ross and John, which as anyone can see has helped the club to make massive strides in the development of young players. Dylan is obviously the prime example, but as the blog says there are several who have stepped up to the 1st team and done well, as Setch has said they have saved the club a lot of time and money bringing in loan signings, who may or may not do the business. You know that with local lads they will give it their all, as they have done, being proud to have the shirt on and playing at the Walks for their local club.
On behalf of the committee we wish Backie and Marc continued success their hard work deserves, and we are only too pleased to help out where we can.
You beat me to a reply there Mallard but I can say we have looked at promotion possibilities but it looks likely that the FA will not allow it, they do not like reserve teams changing their name and becoming a separate club, I also believe this is something they are looking to put a stop to. We are in a good position at the moment but the expected three of Wivenhoe, Ely and Yarmouth, with Diss not far away, it would be unrealistic to think we will make top 3. I am sure the lads will be doing their best and as with the manager they don't like losing. With several players stepping up to the first team we cannot guarantee having a full strength side very often. The game Backie mentioned v Stowmarket the back four was the smallest and youngest I have seen, however led by Tom McLeish as captain and centre half they were outstanding, but with 9 youngsters in the squad we were unable to win. I think Backie is trying to keep the pressure off the lads with his prediction.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 12:39:28 PM »
A great and encouraging read and congratulations to all involved with the youngsters.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 01:59:04 PM »
Tazzy it would be a shame for the Reserves team players  and indeed the Club If they cannot move up to the next level and the club is forever stuck at step 6 level.  Then again if the FA close that door then there is nothing anyone Club can do about it.  The Thurlow Nunn Div One and indeed The Premier League are not as strong as they once were.  We have seen the likes of Lowestoft, Wroxham, Dereham, Sudbury, Braintree, Needham Market, Soham, Leiston, Histon, Wisbech, Maldon, Brightlingsea, Bury all leave the Eastern Counties League over the years, so the standard of step in Thurlow is not as it once was.

Once the Reserves comeback under the full Umbrella of The club next season i trust that those people mentioned in The Managers blog, who have been so supportive  will be found postions within the club, as there would be no need for a committe to run the Reserve team.  Also It must be a huge worry of those people minds not to have to think about rasing the money to keep the Reserve Team afloat, on a week to week basis.

Sorry to pinch your line Tazzy, ( im sure you wont mind :salute:) But it all sounds like exciting times ahead.  :scarf:

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 04:33:48 PM »
They are exciting Mallard, things are going well. We have spoken to Setch a few times and he does want the club all together next season. The 1st team have plenty of people who help out on a voluntary basis and Setch hopes we will carry on helping Backie next season I hope we will be doing that.
Personally I think it's a shame there is no likely promotion opportunities but Setch is happy that the Reserves are providing a good step up for the U18's and that while the step then to level 3 is a big one we already have young players who have made that step and done well. Hopefully we will keep finding the youngsters that have the potential to make these steps. I don't like picking on the same player but Setch is happy for Dylan to spend the next 18 months or so developing into a top level 3 player. Backie will keep giving youngsters a chance with the Reserves and hopefully we will see more coming through.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 06:50:40 PM »
I think that will be the case Spiro. Setch is working to bring all factions of the club together and that includes the Reserves as we have run as totally separate from the 1st team self funding etc. Although we are technically in the same position now we already feel much more a part of the club.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 11:22:42 AM »
Far better for the players I'm sure knowing they've now got a massive window of opportunity to get into the First Team. I can't speak highly enough of those that have stepped up to the first team in terms of effort and performances.

If this becomes a model we can draw success from over the next 2-3 years, nothing to stop the Reserve team being fully re-integrated into the setup and potentially younger development teams. No better opportunity than now to get young talent involved with the club.

Backie has made a very significant contribution to the club in his first few months.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2015, 12:20:15 PM »
Another positive plan, put forward by Backie and supported by the Reserves committee, is King's Lynn 'A' being entered into the local Saturday league giving the Youth team a chance of senior football and increasing their chance of stepping up to the Reserves. Many will remember at the time of the club liquidating we had this set up and King's Lynn 'A' were unbeaten in the local league. When the club reformed the majority of the Reserves were from that 'A' team and formed the basis of the Reserves success since. They also played a major part in Norfolk winning the County Cup, with five in the final team, Tom Barnes scoring the winning goal, and seven players in the squad. We hope that this will be as successful in the future. Exciting times.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2015, 12:21:54 PM »
I think Robbie Back has done a great job in the opening half of the season.  Being in the top 6 when competing with clubs who have decent player budgets, when, I would guess he has very little to offer excepy maybe a bit of travelling money. All credit to the guy.  It shows what can be achieved with young, keen, Local players who are there to learn their trade.  It is not always all about the money.  Lets not forget there are other Young players in the area as well.  The likes of Hilliard and even Edge have spend some of their formative years at other clubs.  Both I am sure benefitted from the guidance of Paul Hunt over at Swaffham. 

Like Tazzy i am disappointed that these young players wont be permitted to test themselves at step 4/5 before moving into the first team squad.  Maybe The club could have a tie up with someone like Wisbech, Swaffham or Fakenham.  I  think Dereham already have a tie up with Easton College, so opportunities maybe somewhat limired.  Although the Likes of  Street, Fryatt, Ward ( local lad flown the nest, where is he now ?), Butt ( another one seemingly gone, but where ?) and this season Frohawk have all enjoyed loan spells at Aldiss Park

Also a big up to Tazzy and his hard working committee for having the foresight to raise funds to keep some kind of youth set going for the benfit of the club.  You can tell from the passion that Tazzy posts with  that to see it all come to Furation is a massive buzz for him and his fellow helpers.

I hope when next season sees the teams all under one Umbrella that these guys who kept the faith in the Youth, when others were keen to toss it aside,  and kept dipping their hands in their pockets are not forgotton. They have an important role still to play.

Will The Reserves still need to be supported by a certain amount of fund raising or can Setch stretch to find the extra cash needed ?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 12:28:54 PM »
Another positive plan, put forward by Backie and supported by the Reserves committee, is King's Lynn 'A' being entered into the local Saturday league giving the Youth team a chance of senior football and increasing their chance of stepping up to the Reserves. Many will remember at the time of the club liquidating we had this set up and King's Lynn 'A' were unbeaten in the local league. When the club reformed the majority of the Reserves were from that 'A' team and formed the basis of the Reserves success since. They also played a major part in Norfolk winning the County Cup, with five in the final team, Tom Barnes scoring the winning goal, and seven players in the squad. We hope that this will be as successful in the future. Exciting times.

Tazzy Just seen your latest Post, sounmds a great Idea.  Instead of maybe the local West Norfolk League, would it make more sense to enter the A team in say The Anglian Combination.  Ok I know they might have to start to in Division 6 But for the long term the standard would be much better once they start moving through the Leagues.  There are some decent teams in the Premier Division of that League.  Only a couple of weeks back Acle Turned over Swaffham, and Harleston pushed Norwich Utd close.  Backie's old Club have gone a long way in that League and are now playing Premier League football.

Might be worth Running it by the people that count.   Where would they play ?  As once they progress to Div One level you need a certain standard of faciliy.  Would The Ground over at Adrain Flux's place at East Winch be an opition ?  I know they are a big sponsor with Buster over at The Norfolk Arena.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2015, 01:59:02 PM »
I cannot take all the credit as there are a few of us on the committee, I am fortunate to be retired while the others are all hard working, so I get time to post on here, yesterday on behalf of Backie. We do not play any part in the Youth team. For the last two seasons we have pestered Buster to have an U18's, and also spoke to Setch but it was not his decision to make. Just before Christmas 2014 Setch told me he was going to start an U18's this season and he would be running it, he has been good to his word and the U18's costs come out of the club budget. We did offer to support the venture but Setch said it was not necessary. How far the club has come since last season has been remarkable and all down to Setch, he deserves all the credit. Buster also deserves credit for putting Setch in his present position. As I have said before he has told us the Reserves will also be run by the club next season but he wants the present committee to carry on doing what we do. I am not sure how it will all work and I know there are several more initiatives in the pipeline but as things have gone so far I can only see positives ahead. Setch and his team of managers and coaches deserve much more support, on match days, than they are getting now, hopefully people will be persuaded this is a real 'Local' club run by local people with a very high percentage of local players, what's not to like.
As far as the 'A' team and leagues are concerned it will be purely down to costs and travelling, both for the club and parents. We played at River Lane before so that seems likely again.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2015, 04:08:29 PM »
I think Robbie Back has done a great job in the opening half of the season.  Being in the top 6 when competing with clubs who have decent player budgets, when, I would guess he has very little to offer excepy maybe a bit of travelling money. All credit to the guy.  It shows what can be achieved with young, keen, Local players who are there to learn their trade.  It is not always all about the money.  Lets not forget there are other Young players in the area as well.  The likes of Hilliard and even Edge have spend some of their formative years at other clubs.  Both I am sure benefitted from the guidance of Paul Hunt over at Swaffham. 

Like Tazzy i am disappointed that these young players wont be permitted to test themselves at step 4/5 before moving into the first team squad.  Maybe The club could have a tie up with someone like Wisbech, Swaffham or Fakenham.  I  think Dereham already have a tie up with Easton College, so opportunities maybe somewhat limired.  Although the Likes of  Street, Fryatt, Ward ( local lad flown the nest, where is he now ?), Butt ( another one seemingly gone, but where ?) and this season Frohawk have all enjoyed loan spells at Aldiss Park

Also a big up to Tazzy and his hard working committee for having the foresight to raise funds to keep some kind of youth set going for the benfit of the club.  You can tell from the passion that Tazzy posts with  that to see it all come to Furation is a massive buzz for him and his fellow helpers.

I hope when next season sees the teams all under one Umbrella that these guys who kept the faith in the Youth, when others were keen to toss it aside,  and kept dipping their hands in their pockets are not forgotton. They have an important role still to play.

Will The Reserves still need to be supported by a certain amount of fund raising or can Setch stretch to find the extra cash needed ?

Up to very recently, Ward at Holbeach and Butt at Rushden.

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2015, 09:22:55 AM »
I think everyone connected with the reserves and what they have done deserves the utmost respect and thanks from anyone who has an interest in the club.Hope everything goes well in the future when the res are within the club structure.