Author Topic: Aspirations and assumptions  (Read 10084 times)

rod

• View Profile
Aspirations and assumptions
« on: February 23, 2017, 12:17:03 PM »
I along with the vast majority of supporters will be wishing the new manager well and hoping that the development of the club will focus heavily on the youth policy and taking our many promising youngsters to the next level...........Perhaps Danny Emmington might now return!!?

I hope also that Ian Culverhouse can use his connections to forge a decent relationship with Norwich......I don't want to see a team full of loanees but there can be a mutual benefit...Shaun McWilliams being the living proof of that. The fact that St Neots had / have a closer working relationship with the Canaries than we do is IMO ridiculous.

As the new manager is full time, it is safe to assume that he is costing us significantly more than his predecessor and to meet the Chairman's aspirations he will be expecting an increased playing budget next season compared with this? This adds up to a requirement for a significant increase in revenue, some of which will come from increased gates if as planned we really are play off competitive from the outset of the new season but there will be a very significant need for much more sponsorship income than we currently enjoy?...................I think the Culverhouse effect will undoubtedly help and the timing of his appointment means that he will be able to recruit to plan and budget but the acid test will be whether local businesses can be persuaded to fully buy in to the new set up.

Exciting times!

Wingwizzard

• View Profile
Re: Aspirations and assumptions
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 12:39:33 PM »
 Let's be careful what we wish for - according to the EDP He has got a 2 and half year contract so that takes us upto  August 19  so I can imagine that wasn't cheap .   as lot's of people have said on here I hope that  several of the current players are still around next season as I would hate to see Lynn lose it's identity with having a totally new squad brought in and no chance for the reserves except to move club. IMO opinion I think it will take about 10 years for us to get any where near being  the football league and I think that the money teams like Eastleigh have spent and are spending  and are at mid table

in the conference  shows exactly how difficult it is these days . But let's see what happens  at the end of the day it  only cost's us humble supporters our Entrance fee and what ever we want to spend in the ground  to enjoy our self's  and is still cheaper than premiership football.

Julian 0812_f

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 02:33:49 PM »
Let's not get too excited, Is it a ride into the unknown? Or will history repeat itself? Project football league will need a constant massive injection of cash on and off the field.
Which means off field earnings will nred to improve dramaticly, just to think we had same aspirations in 2006-07, The televised FA Cup game on live TV, then a full time manager, So we starred off then in a better position then than now?  It's going to take support of over 1000 a game,  sponsorship and the facilities at the ground to be in full flow. Plus if we get in a position to get promote, Pass the ground grading for each league.Better players mean a higher budget.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 02:40:02 PM »
The Sortford and Oldham games came off the back of a successful time under Tommy Taylor.   Those were the salad days.  It all went Pete Tong after that.     I wouldnt mind Culverhouse's days mirroring those of TT.   Lets just hope the don't have a raffle for a car though. 

Can anyone recall after TT why West N Carey weren't given the job full time ?

Julian 0812_f

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 02:44:46 PM »
Because Bobbins got in contact with Webb, had a meeting with him and gave  the job.
I was at a fans forum, when someone asked Webb how he became manager.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 02:49:03 PM »
Webb sure was a strange appointment..

Julian 0812_f

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 02:58:39 PM »
It was a roller coaster for two years, Players or player forced on him, ended up losing the fans and the dressing room?

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 03:13:38 PM »
Let's not get too excited, Is it a ride into the unknown? Or will history repeat itself? Project football league will need a constant massive injection of cash on and off the field.
Which means off field earnings will nred to improve dramaticly, just to think we had same aspirations in 2006-07, The televised FA Cup game on live TV, then a full time manager, So we starred off then in a better position then than now?  It's going to take support of over 1000 a game,  sponsorship and the facilities at the ground to be in full flow. Plus if we get in a position to get promote, Pass the ground grading for each league.Better players mean a higher budget.

Perhaps I should have said interesting rather than exciting but one can live in hope. One thing is for sure, the marketing of the club and what it has to offer will need to step up several rungs.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 03:45:19 PM »
I meant strange as in his background was Youth Team Football, in what was  quite a non-competitive area, compared to the Muck and Nettles of Non League Football.  Must have been very strange to work with people who were coming to train once or twice a week after being at work during the day.  With coming from a background of player development at Norwich.

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 05:19:01 PM »

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »
Well another step closer to a possible Trust running the Club.
A full time Manager, living 2 hours from the Club and high profile means Mr Cleeve has the magic wand of several directors of the past!! 1970-71; 85-86; 78-79; 2009-10!
Culverhouse will not be here on peanuts and he's not got time for 'developing' players!
The present training is Thursday 60 minutes, 1/3 pitch at Lynnsport.
All hallmarks of vision to be in football league is going to need a similar budget to Keith Webb 8-9K a week!!
It seems Mr Cleeve is gong to have to pump heavy money's into this move and may soon become disillusioned and leave debts around the Town!! 
One man running the show and going for broke on promotions is a 'pie in the sky' venture!!
This is bottom up business management; throwing big money at a project with NO Foundations!!
A fun ride ahead; be ready Trust!! The Council will learn someday!!

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2017, 01:24:48 PM »
At least now I think there is no middle ground; one where we will just meander along.....It is now very much a black and white situation where the chairman's objectives will be met or the project will implode?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 01:48:22 PM »
Frontman I get your point about the money side, but on the flip side Culverhouse is on record as saying he wants  young Hungry players from the county.  Culverhouse has to be one of,  if not the best coach this Club has had.  Its not his fault where he lives.  No difference to players coming in from here there and everywhere as has been the case.   His MO of looking for local talent to improve has to be applauded.  Its out there, he just needs to uncover it.... Whats not to like.

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 03:50:35 PM »
Mallard; Talk is Cheap!
Time will tell but my experience is that every time the Club gets the leaders with big ideas and get so called top Managers (who mostly have no non league experience) there is an all too common outcome!
This manager has one head, two arms, 2 legs just like me and you!! They have one brain like me and you
Has he ever led the way in terms of recruitment / management, with financial prudence? Has Cleeve thought through How Long / How much money it will take to get to National league?
The best Board was from 2000-2005 when Club well run and prudent!! In comes Ken Bobbins with big ideas, financially suicidal who recruits Chinn to destroy a business!!
You create a commercial solid base and work with the budget that keeps the Club solvent!!
Culverhouse as with so many career footballers take what they can and I am sure Mr Cleeve has sold him a fairy story!!!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »
There are two sides here, maybe to the same coin.  The playing side is down to Culverhouse, that's his remit.  the other side is Cleeve's domain.  At The Moment he is flying solo, as was the case when he bought the Club, Nothing has changed there.  The change has come on the other side of the bench.

The Guy comes in and says straight off, I want em hungry, I want em young and I want em local.   isn't that the correct way forward for this club in your view.   Now if the guy can  look at getting the likes of Neil Fryatt back on board, certainly keep Backie doing his work with the Reserves.  At Youth level form a relationship with Bully and the College.  Maybe  even tap into someone like Keith Rudd's experience and knowledge of the local scene, then we could well be onto something.

I cant see that going with Local players will see us shelling out big money ( lets not forget we had the likes of Mettam and others on good money this season), certainly not for this level.

I think rather than looking at what might happen, lets take the guy at face value, certainly to start with, and see where it takes us.