Author Topic: Tonight's game  (Read 3324 times)

Coastal linnet

• View Profile
Tonight's game
« on: March 21, 2017, 11:00:15 PM »
Here there may be a rise in admission prices next season! Regarding admission I think anyone who endured tonight's game deserves a refund! Yes, we were unlucky with the injuries. Apparently owing to the state of the pitch we don't play passing football but " put the ball into areas." It would be good if these areas were actually within the confines of the pitch. Hopefully, the manager has had enough time to see how good the current players are and hopefully we are not going to be subjected to a load of c--p for the rest of the home games this season. If we are going to see Step 5 standard of football perhaps this can be reflected in the admission
St Neots were a very entertaining group; full marks for their amateur dramatics and time wasting!
My MOM would be Eoin McQuaid.
Although I am 20 lighter ( admission, hot chocolate and petrol) I shall be back Saturday and look forward to an improved performance.
Anyone deserves a se

Linnet1947

• View Profile
Re: Tonight's game
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 11:46:33 PM »
St Neots were lucky to score 2 goals, resulting from bad defensive errors on our part. St Neots once they scored, tried to waste time at every opportunity.  They foul on Ryan was terrible - blood everywhere ! We also lost Tom Ward and Sam to injuries, which left us with a depleted defence. We had very little up front - passes and shots were going astray, ball control on a bumpy pitch was also poor. We can only get better !
I hope the injured players make a quick recovery.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 06:23:40 AM »
Culverhouse experimented with a 442 formation. This made Lynn look exposed in central areas against St Neots' initial 433 set up. 442 gave Lynn some width and they got some decent crosses in during the first part of the game but without a big striker to challenge in the air this never looked likely to produce anything.

We have looked stronger and more compact as a 352, although with injuries to 2 of the 3 central defenders it may be difficult to use this for the next few games.

Many Lynn players looked off their game and St Neots were possibly more determined as they need points near the foot of the table.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 06:51:44 AM »
Blips along the way are going to happen.  It's all a slow burn until the real thing starts in August.  I am sure come the start of next season the full Culverhouse squad will be in place and the need for experiment will be a thing of the past.  He will have his team set up how he wants it to play.

The guy has come in, settled things down no throwing money at the project for short term  impression .  Culverhouse is quite prepared to work with what he has got and try and improve players. A nice relaxed  method and it seems he is winning over the players

It all looks a very safe pair of hands.

Anyone have any thoughts/feelings on Culverhouse, after his first few weeks in the job ?

Linnet1947

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 07:42:57 AM »
The present squad is still much the same as in Setch,s time. Clearly we are not going to get promotion with this lot. Just not good enough. Despite some encouraging deplays  (Mcquaid for example), we will need 4 or 5 class additions (especially up front). Hilliard as been a big disappointment. Last night was another case of just hoofing the ball up in the air. We need to improve our first touch and play on the floor.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 08:03:41 AM »
Think the manager would have learnt a lot more from this defeat.

hickathrift

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »
I agree also that the Manager would have learned a lot from last night. It was very clear to see we desperately need some quality strikers for next season.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2017, 08:27:06 AM »
From the Stands you could see that St Neots were a well organised and disciplined defensive team. The back 4 and the midfield 4 moved like a synchronised group, moving across towards the attack as it moved from one wing, across the centre to the other wing and back again. Lynn just could not break down this zonal defence set-up.

I also believe the players were trying too hard to be clever with the ball and were under-hitting passes on a sticky pitch.

St Neots time wasting and over-acting was farcical. After his red-carding incident the ref's control and tolerance of St Neots tactics was awful.

Pedro was very lucky not to see another red card - many a ref would have sent him off.

I can see an experiment with several reserve defenders on Saturday after losing 3 out of 4 full backs last night.

Our only goal was (again) scored by a full back - Jacek Zielonka having dropped back into Ryan Fryatt's position when he went off injured.

Dylan Edge seems to have lost his edge - moving around like a spare ***** at a wedding.

Thankfully there were no booing fans at the end after a dismal performance with Lynn unable to penetrate that solid defence.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2017, 11:35:04 AM »
Although a disappointing result and performance, as posted previously, this period is surely all about experimentation and assessment. The time for judgement will be next season. Undoubtedly certain of the current crop will not make it but one or two may surprise in a positive way........One thing though has not changed, that lack of a cutting edge and by that I do not mean a scorer of spectacular goals - that would be a bonus. We desperately need a 'fox in the box' - a natural predator and they can be found at reasonable cost???? Jevani Brown being a case in point....I think he has 16 goals in his last 15 games for St Neots since signing from Stamford?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2017, 12:40:02 PM »
I would hope Rod that  Culverhouse is on the case of looking for a striker or two ready for next season.

I'm sure there are few out there who will attract his interest.

GrahamB

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »
Mettam + A,N Other?? Who knows stranger things have happened and he is under contract. I understand that Culverhouse is strong on discipline, so he will rule the dressing room rather than the players!

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »
Blips along the way are going to happen.  It's all a slow burn until the real thing starts in August.  I am sure come the start of next season the full Culverhouse squad will be in place and the need for experiment will be a thing of the past.  He will have his team set up how he wants it to play.

The guy has come in, settled things down no throwing money at the project for short term  impression .  Culverhouse is quite prepared to work with what he has got and try and improve players. A nice relaxed  method and it seems he is winning over the players

It all looks a very safe pair of hands.

Anyone have any thoughts/feelings on Culverhouse, after his first few weeks in the job ?

I have every confidence in Culverhouse. He is trying out players and formations which, at this stage of his tenure and at this stage of the season, is how it should be.
Results are irrelevant at the moment.
Lynn have looked stronger when set up as a 352 and it is a shame that he now has to deal with the loss of 2/3 of the very impressive centre-back trio.
We definitely need a goal-scoring striker. I think Hilliard has a lot of potential and should be looked after; Dylan Edge needs to "up his game" to make it at this level.

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
I think Dylan has has a wasted season. Not enough game time.
I would have given him another season with the reserves.
He is playing with no confidence it seems to me.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2017, 11:20:16 AM »
I think that Dylan, who still has the time and potential to make a major impact in the future, is a victim of our historically flawed youth development policy. When he burst onto the scene he was promoted in certain quarters as the best thing since sliced bread or even Michael Owen - the answer to our prayers. I stress that this did not come from Dylan himself but from some others and I think it did him a disservice to be put under the spotlight so early in his fledgling career.. He was either over exposed with too much expected of him at first team level and then when this did not appear to be working just used as a stop gap.

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »
There are similarities in the way he and Chris Ward were treated. Both went with the first team, but got little (or no, in Ward's, case) game time. Not good for either of them.