Author Topic: Today's Game  (Read 5914 times)

m a hill

• View Profile
Today's Game
« on: December 12, 2015, 05:58:53 PM »
Good 3 points today bit of a scrappy game but we stuck at it and thanks to young
Dylan Edge we got the goal to win the game ,their goalkeeper brought of some fantastic saves and have to say the Ref Mr Appleby was his usual inept self some of his decisions were mind boggling

rod

• View Profile
Re: Today's Game
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »
The sort of game where the result was better than the performance, perhaps? I thought that Pedro kept us in it in the first half, when Frome looked much the better, more hardworking and quicker team.......They did not give us any time on the ball. Much better in the second half - I thought also that Hilliard's more physical presence was just what we needed.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2015, 11:04:45 AM »
First half I was concerned that not taking advantage of having the wind in our favour would ultimately cost us. Most of Frome's goal kicks didn't pass the halfway line and for some reason we tried to play long ball and overhit most of them into the wind. Frome looked creative, dangerous and forced Pedro into some excellent saves as well as having an effort chalked off. It was only a couple of minutes before half time when Hurst had an effort from distance which caused their keeper problems in the wind.

Second half we reverted to a better passing game and it was Frome's keeper that took centre stage. Looked like he was going to frustrate us and earn his side some points. Yet again Dylan showed coolness and maturity in a crowded box to slot home the winner. The introduction of him and Toby again seemed to swing the game in our favour, and again they are an absolute pleasure to watch when they come on.

Overall a well earned three points. Two tricky away games before Christmas now.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 12:53:20 PM »
Some have called for Dylan to start games but I think at this time he is better coming on when the opposition are tiring. Setch does not think he is ready yet for full 90 minutes,  and that bringing Dylan and Toby on with 20 mins to go they can swing the game, as they did yesterday. Having seen Dylan at all levels for the club he will score given a chance, he does not seem to mind wether it's left or right foot, head, distance or close in. He has scored several game winning goals for the Reserves often with it being his only chance, and now he has done it twice for the 1st team. Setch is handling him very well IMO and with luck with injuries etc., he will be a big player for the club in the future, if we can hang on to him.

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 06:28:20 PM »
Taz if he continues to score at first team level and looks the part i think bigger things await, i hear from good source allreadt being looked at.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 10:31:15 PM »
That is why Setch put him on contract.

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 11:08:28 PM »
Reading the match report game me the chills, not so much because of the miserable winter weather it was played in (here it's chilly for sure -- with the first dusting of snow on our local mountains yesterday but a cloud-free blue sky to enjoy), but because these are the types of games I remember at The Walks: cold and damp in the heart of a season that seems to sputtering towards mediocrity* with only the diehards in attendance, a tough game not for the faint-of-heart so lets hope the magic sponge was rung out in hot water, chances at both ends but the prospect of a 0-0 draw looms. AND THEN WE SCORE AND WIN THE GAME WITH ONLY A FEW MINUTES LEFT! It was worth the cold feet and the over-brewed tea at halftime. I scurry through The Walks to catch the next bus home from what I still think of as the old cattle market. Those were the days!

:watching:  :scarf:  :watching:

* Lots of 6-pointers coming up, so I haven't lost hope yet!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2015, 08:11:32 AM »
That is why Setch put him on contract.

George Thompson was on contract.   I was sure that Chris Ward, Dan Quigley signed  contracts also.    What was the Nett result ? 

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
You are right Mallard but I don't think Setch would have let George go to a level 2/3 team, and I doubt George would have wanted to leave. Dylan has the potential to go to a higher level eventually and Setch is wise to have him on contract as he is the most exciting prospect the Linnets have had for years, he is proving that he can score at level 3, no problem.We should remember he signed as a youth
/reserve player and Setch has said he probably should still be progressing with the reserves but the lad has left Setch no choice but to keep him in the squad and that includes starting a game or two.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 12:13:55 PM »
Surely a benchmark measurement of how succesful our youth development policy becomes will be the occasional 'loss' of a player to a higher ranked team but we must then ensure that the club receives financial compensation so that this can be re-invested in the club....A virtuous circle?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 12:30:53 PM »
I hope Dylan Edge does move on to bigger and better things and that the Club receives its just deserts when that happens.  I also Hope that we get some kind of benefit out of the lad, apart from a transfer fee.   With  The Production line now up and running dylan could be the first off the line to make good.  I have been hearing good things about Setch's young Lad.  If he is a chip off the old block then he could be another one to go on contract that the Club can cash in on, at some point.

Tazzy is there any more Reserves/U18 who you feel will be worth a  contract in say the next 18 months.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 02:56:59 PM »
I think at this stage a contract protects both the club and player. Dylan has demonstrated that he is a fantastic prospect at all levels of the club, but seems to be taking it all in his stride.

We've seen before players become distracted when other clubs put approaches in for them. As has been said in George's case it wouldn't have been in his best interests for us to allow him to move sideways to another step 3 club that could offer more money when it was pretty obvious he could move upwards. We were very fortunate to get him in the first place given Histon's financial problems at the time.

Another example was Conor Washington at St. Ives, when he was being chased by a whole host of clubs at our level including ourselves. St. Ives held on to him because a sideways move wouldn't have been beneficial. He was eventually sold to Newport County and then on to Peterborough.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 03:29:12 PM »
I don't want to pass too much comment on players in the Reserves or Youth team, those who have stepped up have all done ok and those still with the 1st team squad are there on their merits. Players like Dylan only come along very occasionally, I think he will stay with the club for some time as he is obviously learning a lot from the coaches and senior players. Liam Fryatt has a chance if he keeps progressing. Like a lot of young players whose Dad was a bit special Danny is in a no win situation. I doubt he will be as good as his Dad but who knows, he has certainly had chances with the Reserves.