• Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
Squad
« on: June 05, 2017, 10:15:37 AM »
So, squad so far:

GK.
Street

Defenders.
Shipp, Fryatt, Ward, Gaughran, Castellan, Ward, Blake Tracey.

Midfield.
Hawkins, Jarvis, Clunan, Warburton.

Strikers.
Harnwell, Gillies, Edge, Hilliard, Mettam

Have I missed anyone?

If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
Re: Squad
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 11:03:35 AM »
I can't remember Gillies, anybody know why his stay was so brief last time ?
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 11:04:41 AM »
Can think of one very important name missing...  Culverhouse.

Looks like defenders and strikers covered.  Thin In the middle of the park.  Im sure it is all covered.

Have to like the way Culverhouse goes about his business.... All seems a very safe pair of hands.   Would have been interesting to see how much Quigley would have improved  with work on the training ground etc. 

GrahamB

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:35:28 AM »
I heard that there are at least 2 more signings to be announced.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 12:26:03 PM »
I can't remember Gillies, anybody know why his stay was so brief last time ?

I recall the name but did not see him play...What sort of level are Chatteris / Kershaw? Similar to our reserves?

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
It's a big step from Step 7 to Step 3.
Is he to replace Hilliard while Hilliard matures in the reserves.

Is this Gillies the same one? Seems he might be able to play at the back as well https://www.clubwebsite.co.uk/thelaneendsweshamfc2ndxi/139004/Players/view/1695827
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

birch95

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2017, 04:42:59 PM »
 Chatteris are in the Cambs premier league along with camb city res, lakenheath & outwell swifts, this will be a massive gamble with gillies as mettam came with the same prolific cv  :dontknow:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2017, 05:14:18 PM »
A goal scorer is a goalscorer at any level.  Ok he might not hit 30/40 in a season but playing with better players under a coach like we now have should certainly improve his game. Mettam is on record as saying he does his best work when partnered with a big un.  Could it be they bring the best out of each other ?

birch95

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »
A goal scorer is a scorer at "a level" not any.... mettam is a prime example,

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2017, 05:31:44 PM »
Sounds like a good pairing Metts would
 Have the man he wanted to play with , so on paper sounds very good pairing can't wait for the season to start

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 07:33:25 PM »
Birch or to look at another example; how about Jack Defty, scored goals at steps 5, 4, 3 and 2.  Just in different volumes.  How about giving the new lad  a chance ?

Lindsays Boot

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2017, 07:45:27 PM »
Mettam has scored most of his goals at step 3. 20+ in 2008/9 at Corby when they won promotion to Conference North and 66 in 80 appearance at Worksop in Northern Prem. He then moved to Telford and has not scored many since. I hope I am wrong I think he is a huge gamble for this coming season as he now seems to be injury prone. You only have to look at what happened with him prior to his fall out with the management last season

birch95

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2017, 07:52:25 PM »
Mettam has scored most of his goals at step 3. 20+ in 2008/9 at Corby when they won promotion to Conference North and 66 in 80 appearance at Worksop in Northern Prem. He then moved to Telford and has not scored many since. I hope I am wrong I think he is a huge gamble for this coming season as he now seems to be injury prone. You only have to look at what happened with him prior to his fall out with the management last season
totally agree, in my opinion he lacked a decent level of fitness, but given a good pre season with the managers strict regime he could play a part hopefully!!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2017, 07:49:56 AM »
I am sure if Mettam doesn't cut the Mustard with the rest of the lads in pre-season he will be left behind.   Culverhouse has dealt with a lot bigger names than Leon Mettam.  If Mettam buys into Culverhouse and what he is trying to achieve then we could well have a real goal scorer on our hands.   When was the last time we had one of those ?

Ben,G

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
I am sure if Mettam doesn't cut the Mustard with the rest of the lads in pre-season he will be left behind.   Culverhouse has dealt with a lot bigger names than Leon Mettam.  If Mettam buys into Culverhouse and what he is trying to achieve then we could well have a real goal scorer on our hands.   When was the last time we had one of those ?
Last goal scorer we had I would say jack defty. Dunkley done ok but not a 20 goal a season striker. We also had chris bacon, frew, messiah McDonald, speight , none of these scored many goals for us anyway.