Author Topic: Match report V Royston  (Read 1359 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
Match report V Royston
« on: September 12, 2017, 10:49:22 PM »
Royston Town 2 Kingís Lynn Town 0

The Premier Division's two unbeaten sides both surrended their records on Tuesday evening with Lynn going down 2-0 to Royston, giving them their first home league win of the season.
The division's other undefeated team, Merthyr Town went down 2-0 at Basingstoke.
Manager Ian Culverhouse kept faith in the team which defeated Stratford on Saturday with just Harry Whayman missing from the bench being the only change.
Royston were without four regular first team players, goal keeping coach Mason Tewkesbury having to prove that he could put his theory into practise.
Early chances for both teams were off target, Scott Bridges and Jack Vasey going high for the home side in the first ten minutes while Leon Mettam latched onto a long ball but his heavy touch saw the chance gone.
Vasey had a looping header go over just before the half hour then Mettam put an effort across the face of the goal for Lynn.
Lynn had appeals for a penalty early in the second half after Cameron Norman had been grounded and then Craig Parker's volley went over.
Lynn fell behind on 73 minutes when a mistake by Alex Street gifted Scott Bridges an easy finish. The Crows made sure of the points on 82 minutes, a neat turn and low shot went across sStreet and into the far corner of the net.
Parker was a fraction away from heading a consolation but it wasn't to be.
Royston: Tewkesbury, Asafu-Adjaye, Alomenu, Scott Bridges, Murray, Stuart Bridges, Powell, Corcoran (Scott-Morriss 73), Vasey (Oyinsan 64), Marriott, Ingrey (Ives 64). Subs: Scott-Morriss, Powell, Orlando-Young, Oyinsan, Ives. Scorers: Bridges 72, Marriot 82
Lynn: Street, Norman, Blake-Tracy, Fryatt, Ward, Jarvis, Clunan, Parker, Gash (Siddons 77), Mettam (Hilliard 77), Hawkins (Gaughran 63). Subs: Gaughran, Siddons , Hilliard, Gillies. Booked: Clunan.
Attendance: 273

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
Re: Match report V Royston
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 12:13:19 AM »
Be interesting to hear the manager's take on the game?
Donít you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 07:07:10 AM »
That's easy Griss he would say we have learned from this and we move on

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 08:15:22 AM »
Mistakes change games.   

How many people on this forum would have taken our start to the season  W4 D1 L1 ?

In the same way that IC hasn't gone overboard with the wins I am sure he wont feel too down about one defeat on the road. 

Realist

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 09:45:10 AM »
Home form is great, but away form needs to be flexible and accurately plotted each time ..just a good early wake up call, no easy games in the League. Things like narrowing the field of play at home, will not go unnoticed by the other teams, and can tactically go against you when playing away. Good management required , hopefully more away games will see this section of the fixtures become successful. 

Nigel1505

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 04:53:08 PM »
I went last night and was disappointed with the performance from the Linnets. I don't get to see many matches being Bedfordshire based, but rely on this forum and the live text/radio for info. Royston played very defensive which any team would do playing against the league leaders, but the inventiveness up front was sorely lacking. Only Clunen and Gash showed anything worth talking about. Silly mistakes were the order of the day, and both goals came from mistakes from Lynn players. We had the better players man for man on the night, but there was no width and no one touch football which would have served Lynn better to get into goal scoring chances which were few and far between. It was hoof it up the field and hope for the best which Royston coped with quite well. Far to much dwelling on the ball and letting Royston take it away from them. I feel sorry for the supporters (of which there seemed many) who made the trip and were not rewarded with a half decent performance. We need to do better and show more inventiveness in the last third of the pitch; if not we will get hammered by  teams like Kettering, Banbury and Hereford. I.C could not have been happy with last nights performance and needs to instil a different way of playing against teams like Royston who were in fact not that good and were very lucky to get anything out of the game which Lynn basically gave away. We are not going to win every game I know, but last night three points were for the taking and we gave them away easily.   :banghead;

Nigel1505

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 05:29:24 PM »
An addition to my last post; it was pleasing to see Mr. Cleeve and his scarf, at last nights game. I am sure he is a busy man with his business interests, but he made the effort to be at Royston last night and was at the friendly at Stamford a few weeks ago. It is refreshing to see a chairman taking an interest in the club and putting in the time to be at games in the wind and pouring rain. Knock him for what ever he doesn't do, but don't knock him for not being there. Well done Guv.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 05:52:57 PM »
An addition to my last post; it was pleasing to see Mr. Cleeve and his scarf, at last nights game. I am sure he is a busy man with his business interests, but he made the effort to be at Royston last night and was at the friendly at Stamford a few weeks ago. It is refreshing to see a chairman taking an interest in the club and putting in the time to be at games in the wind and pouring rain. Knock him for what ever he doesn't do, but don't knock him for not being there. Well done Guv.

I think you will find that Buster made most games?  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Donít you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.

Turtle84

• Aka Tom
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 05:53:07 PM »
I went last night and was disappointed with the performance from the Linnets. I don't get to see many matches being Bedfordshire based, but rely on this forum and the live text/radio for info. Royston played very defensive which any team would do playing against the league leaders, but the inventiveness up front was sorely lacking. Only Clunen and Gash showed anything worth talking about. Silly mistakes were the order of the day, and both goals came from mistakes from Lynn players. We had the better players man for man on the night, but there was no width and no one touch football which would have served Lynn better to get into goal scoring chances which were few and far between. It was hoof it up the field and hope for the best which Royston coped with quite well. Far to much dwelling on the ball and letting Royston take it away from them. I feel sorry for the supporters (of which there seemed many) who made the trip and were not rewarded with a half decent performance. We need to do better and show more inventiveness in the last third of the pitch; if not we will get hammered by  teams like Kettering, Banbury and Hereford. I.C could not have been happy with last nights performance and needs to instil a different way of playing against teams like Royston who were in fact not that good and were very lucky to get anything out of the game which Lynn basically gave away. We are not going to win every game I know, but last night three points were for the taking and we gave them away easily.   :banghead;

we've lost 1 drawn 1 and won 5. It was a bad night, if it's the 1st time you've seen the team play then your missing what's been on show. we was not that bad tbf, pitch was greasy, being closed down quick, we wasn't going to get on the ball and play a passing game, bad night at the office, we will bounce back and be fine

Nigel1505

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 06:13:14 PM »
It was the same pitch for both sides. Lynn didn't show any inventiveness up field, Clunen and Gash were the only ones showing anything worthwhile. The other players seemed out of their depth tactically and didn't know what to do to break Royston down.  Sam when he came on, was he usual brilliant self.  No I don't see many games, but I know what I saw last night, and it wasn't a promotion performance..

Turtle84

• Aka Tom
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 06:53:49 PM »
was the same pitch for both teams, neither played one touch football which you suggested we did. every team loses games, all the top 5 have, this game will not define our season. talking of Culnan, since you thought he was one of our better players, how many of his corners didn't beat the 1st defender, nearly chest hight or was over hit? I thought Frazer had a good game, ran at his man, getting balls in the box! I'm disappointed with the result but I've only missed 1 game so far and I'm 100% sure we will bounce back

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2017, 12:46:56 AM »
talking of Culnan, since you thought he was one of our better players, how many of his corners didn't beat the 1st defender, nearly chest hight or was over hit?

Clunan remains an enigma for me - he's clearly talented, but in my opinion isn't quite as good as he thinks he is.
He works hard, he can take a god penalty, but as stated his set pieces  are inconsistent and his obsession to play the "hollywood" glory pass frustrates ,e.

I also agree that Blake-Tracey played well - he and Cameron Norman are cracking full backs (although Norman seemed a bit below his usual excellent self)

It was a frustrating evening all round - Royston to their credit worked hard but didn't look like scoring until Pedro's error.

Saying that, Street wins us many points through the season, so we can't really complain.

The interesting thing now will be the same for us as it is any team - it will be how (and when) we bounce back from the defeat

Birc95

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2017, 06:56:53 AM »
clunan an enigma :dontknow: I think you might have overlooked he was top goalscorer last season in a very disorganised side, he for all the present players deserves more credit....7.5 every game....

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2017, 11:21:19 AM »

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2017, 11:25:33 AM »
The only slight grumble I have about Lynn (and I'm conscious of not wanting to jump on the one defeat and moaning already bandwagon) is that when Gash plays up front; Lynn are more direct (hoof ball to some) and play less to feet on the ground. Obviously Gash is a strong striker and a good focus for high balls etc. but I think Lynn look far stronger when they play a patient passing game, as they did against St Ives. I wasn't at the Royston game so can't comment about that.