Author Topic: Major signings.  (Read 1871 times)

Re: Major signings.
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 04:01:30 PM »
Good signings, but hope they're not both thrust into the starting line up in tomorrows big game, as neither have kicked a ball in anger in a good few months.

I'd agree with the comments that Gash and Holt are very similar, and thus unlikely to play together. Meaning when everyone's fully fit, you would imagine Mettam and Holt would be our starting front 2, with Gash and Hilliard/Siddons/Gillies on the bench. Would imagine at least one of those 3, if not 2, will soon find employment elsewhere, although, if they're on contract, they might be content to warm a bench.

Lappin seems a good addition to the midfield, though given that York chose not to re-sign him after his achilles injury, be interesting to see what kind of player he is now.

As an aside, where do people think the Scottish 2nd tier would rate in the English pyramid? Given that it's the standard of opposition Holt faced last year.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 04:04:34 PM »
Good signings, but hope they're not both thrust into the starting line up in tomorrows big game, as neither have kicked a ball in anger in a good few months.

I think a lot of supporters would like to know if the new signings are likely to be involved tomorrow. Personally, I don't think its a given that they will be, but many will be expecting it.
In life, its important to remember that those that can't, usually teach!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »
Be a bit harsh on even having Lappin on the bench after a long lay off with a serious injury, so I would be very surprised to see him in the 16.   Holt didn't play that much last season at Hibs either so factor that with not having played at all for 6 months I would be very surprised to see IC include either in the 16.  However just having these 2 players in the dressing room should give all the players a massive lift.    I would suggest both new lads will get a watching brief tomorrow night to see what its all about.   

On a side note,  hearing the Club is about to sign another young striker this time from a  local club.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 04:31:15 PM »
Mallard, I would agree with you about throwing them into competitive action so quickly but perhaps there are a few 'non-footballing' reasons that may have to be taken into account and with the club website going into some sort of manic frenzy about these signings you never know - taken from the club website earlier:

"Both players will be in the squad for tomorrow nights EvoStik Southern Premier League Fixture against Hitchin Town."

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 05:06:45 PM »
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 05:09:41 PM »
Mallard, I would agree with you about throwing them into competitive action so quickly but perhaps there are a few 'non-footballing' reasons that may have to be taken into account and with the club website going into some sort of manic frenzy about these signings you never know - taken from the club website earlier:

"Both players will be in the squad for tomorrow nights EvoStik Southern Premier League Fixture against Hitchin Town."

Maybe only cameos for the last 10 minutes at the minute. Also, be interesting to see if Holt will always be starting (once fit), or given his advancing age, he's rotated with Gash a bit when the games come thick and fast. Also, any news on Mettams injury that got him subbed at the weekend?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 05:32:53 PM »
Should be on the pitch straight away, no point in signing players who aren't fit! :coffee:
Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 06:36:42 PM »
Tony, could be part of an 18 man squad, that way gives the club a chance of money spinning gate.  Good PR or profiteering. Either way swells the Clubs coffers.

Griss how does a player get match fit if no sod signs em ? :laughcry:

Linnet1947

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2017, 07:27:43 PM »
Coastal Linnet has finally got bis wish. He suggested the possible  signing of Grant Holt many months ago ! With Simon Lappin we now have plenty of experience in the squad. After a couple of losses we need max points from our next 2 games to keep pace with the leaders. Maybe our 2 new signings will feature ! I hope so - should put a few on the gate !

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2017, 07:39:02 PM »
Coastal Linnet has finally got bis wish. He suggested the possible  signing of Grant Holt many months ago ! With Simon Lappin we now have plenty of experience in the squad. After a couple of losses we need max points from our next 2 games to keep pace with the leaders. Maybe our 2 new signings will feature ! I hope so - should put a few on the gate !
First mention of Holt was in June 2016 by Jackdaw.

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2017, 07:41:33 PM »
Just hope these two fair better than previouse Norwich cast offs, Goss,Mendham, Downs and a few more that never done much when signed Spearo being the exception.The only other of note an irsh international who was joint manager for a while.

Coastal linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »
I shall be there Tuesday night 1947. I wonder how many other Norwich City supporters will be there as well.
The return of two Canary legends to Norfolk. A great bit of business Messrs Cleeve and Culverhouse

Topstanders mate!

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2017, 08:12:38 PM »
I hope we get good gate tomorrow night,fantastic news today,full marks to chairman and IC a lot of clubs would have liked to sign them,a lot of hard work behind the scenes :scarf:
6 points this week! Really looking forward to these next home games... :cheers:

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2017, 08:33:06 PM »
Some people just like to moan for moaning sake

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2017, 08:41:33 PM »
Shaun Carey, Sworn.