Author Topic: Match report v Hitchin  (Read 1855 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
Match report v Hitchin
« on: October 10, 2017, 11:18:31 PM »
Kingís Lynn Town 2 Hitchin Town 0

Tuesday 10th October

Lynn gained revenge for the defeat inflicted by the Canaries last season and gave debuts to Grant Holt and Simon Lappin from the bench but it was a hard earned win against a side who played the second half with ten men.
Lynn had Sam Gaughran in for the injured Leon Mettam but the formation of three centre halves took a while to settle in what was a scrappy, even, first half although Alex Street in the Lynn goal, had the most work.
Lynn had the early pressure and won a corner form a Michael Clunan free kick but Tom Ward's header was blocked.
The visitors won a couple of corners and then Jonny McNamara and Lucas Kirkpatrick tested Street in quick succession.
Hitchin appeared to be bypassing the Lynn midfield too easily while Michael Gash was getting little service in attack.
When he did get a shooting chance, on 26 minutes following Ryan Hawkins' cross he shot straight at keeper Michael Johnson.
Just before half time Canaries defender Lewis Rolfe was dismissed for a foul on Street following a free kick and Ryan Fryatt was booked for his reaction in the "handbags" that followed.
Lynn dominated after the restart but at first it looked as if Hitchin's readguard could resist the pressure.
Appeals for a penalty were turned down when Gash's ball into the box hit the hand of a defender but on 56 minutes Lynn took the lead with a nicely worked goal which saw Craig Parker control Gash's headed flick to score.
Michael Clunan had a chance to double the lead but he saw his shot well saved. There then followed the introduction of Grant Holt to much applause but he was not involved in the second goal when Parker turned provider for Gash, his low cross setting him up to score from 10 yards.
Simon Lappin was introduced and both he and Holt had a chance to get on the scoresheet, Holt arriving just too early to get his head onto a cross and Lappin trying his luck from a free kick which went over.

Lynn: Street, Norman, Blake-Tracy, Gaughran, Ward, Fryatt, Clunan, Parker (Lappin 81), Jarvis, Gash (Siddons 86), Hawkins (Holt 71). Subs: Siddons, Holt, Lappin, McQuaid, Hilliard. Booked: Fryatt, Gaughran. Scorer: Parker 56, Gash 75

Hitchin: Johnson, Cotter, Walster, Rolfe, Dowie, Bickerstaff, Kirkpatrick, Smith, Vincent (Donnelly 69), Bailey (Bennett 69), McNamara (Green 64). Subs: Donnelly, Green, Charles, Tshikla, Bennett. Booked Walster, Donnelly. Sent off; Rolfe

Attendance: 1,067

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Match report v Hitchin
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 07:56:30 AM »
Looking at The EDP online this morning they seem to be buying into Kings Lynn big time following the signing of the 2 ex City lads.  I hope Mr Cleeve and is PR department  really get stuck into this and milk it for all its worth.   Looks Like Lowestoft and the local Norfolk Clubs might be struggling for column inches going forward.  Though I do expect Fakenham Town FC to get some good coverage today.  How sad is that for a Club of their standing and a Town of that size.

Birc95

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 12:40:19 PM »
Pr dept..........try twiitter :laughcry:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 12:57:49 PM »
Birch, to me if the EDP and Radio Norfolk want to jump into bed with us ( good press from EDP live Coverage from the game with Radio Norfolk) we should be there turning down the duvet.  Stephen Cleeve  should be telling his people behind the scenes to keep feeding  it.  The local media seem to really love the idea of the ex City boys joining their old boss at Lynn.    It would make sense for MR Cleeve to really get aboard with all of this. He should have sponsors knocking his door down begging to be involved in this now.   The spin=offs from all of this could be massive for the coffers of the Club.   The worry is has he got the correct people in his team to convert it all ? 

Birch you saying the Clubs PR = Twitter says a lot of what people think.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 01:33:27 PM »
I think the key phrase in the report is "the formation of three centre halves took a while to settle in", bit like saying Holt & Lappin added a few extra people to the gate!  As good as Hitchin were, we helped them out massively by playing a system that appeared to have been given to the players just before they kicked off based on the number of arm waving conversations between players during the first half, the formation also played into Hitchin's hands by condensing the middle of the park which meant we struggled to build from the back with Jarvis and Clunan as previous home games.  Bit of an adjustment at half time splitting the three centre halves wider assisted by Hitchin being a man down and lo and behold Jarvis finds a bit of space to start the move for the first goal, second goal also coming from some slick passing (and a great turn from Parker).

Thought Gash was outstanding but unfortunately Sam looked like 'yesterdays man' reverting back to Setch's hoof ball too often and just wasn't on the same page as many of his teammates, if we are going to go with a back 3, and I hope not given how out of sorts both full backs were, then Lappin better get match fit quickly or we have to get someone else in, is anyone aware how Matty Castellan is doing at Dereham?

All in all a good 3 points against a possible play off challenger but more work needed on the training ground if that is going to be the formation going forward.  I still have faith in IC but we have to find something that plays to the strengths of the squad and remain to be convinced that was what we saw last night

Birc95

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 02:19:05 PM »
couldn't agree more with your comments mallard, I find like you the club is not fulfilling its potential off the field as it is on it :banghead; after last nights show it could unearth a monster :dontknow:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 02:31:02 PM »
I have nothing but praise for Steve Cleeve's ambition on the field.   In IC he has gone above and beyond what any fan of Lynn could have hoped for.  IC put together, in the summer an attractive top 6 team.  This has now had further support and backing from Cleeve by the introduction of  Holt and Lappin.  The guy has certainly nailed his colours firmly to the mast with his intentions on that score.

Off the field what do we have ?  In one statement I haven't a clue.  It seems like we have been having this person or that person handling the advertising and sponsorship side to the point where does anyone have any idea who does what anymore ?  We have been dancing around looking for a top level sponsor but we don't appear to have been successful in this department. ( no disrespect to those that have come on board).

IMHO   events off the field have to at least keep pace with those on the field.  If one side fails then they both fail.

Like you say Birch there is now one hellva an opportunity to really get this show on the road.  Can SC deliver ?  He got it right with IC, so I believe he can get the other side right as well. He cant do it himself, but he is the Puppeteer  pulling the strings.

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 07:10:30 PM »
Mallard on the pitch no problems, off the pitch as stated before ,we are going nowhere! like you said you need both to go forward,Mr Cleeve is going to have to trust some more people than present to create some off pitch revenue.Current sponsorship is also way behind where it should be.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »
To be fair to Steve Cleeve it's all been a massive job and he hasn't been in the job that long. I would suggest with the commercial side he has had a good few false dawns with people who he appointed. He has got it right with IC on the pitch I think he have to give the guy time to get the right people involved off the pitch.   If not he could be left with a rather large bill to pay come the end of the season.   The thing is the higher the club goes the more professional and experienced the people behind the scenes need to be.  In the same way as the playing staff has to change and progression the field the same applies off the field.  If the support staff are the same as who were in situ at step 5 would those self same people be up to the task at step 2 and beyond ?

The Fenman

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:56 PM »
Mallard on the pitch no problems, off the pitch as stated before ,we are going nowhere! like you said you need both to go forward,Mr Cleeve is going to have to trust some more people than present to create some off pitch revenue.Current sponsorship is also way behind where it should be.

Slagging off Old Bill, the fans and ****ed Poles in the program wont help the cause. 

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 09:58:58 PM »

Slagging off Old Bill, the fans and ****ed Poles in the program wont help the cause.

got a link fenners?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:13:38 PM »

got a link fenners?

https://www.kltown.co.uk/copy-of-chairmans-notes
Donít you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 10:43:54 PM »
To be fair to Steve Cleeve it's all been a massive job and he hasn't been in the job that long. I would suggest with the commercial side he has had a good few false dawns with people who he appointed. He has got it right with IC on the pitch I think he have to give the guy time to get the right people involved off the pitch.   If not he could be left with a rather large bill to pay come the end of the season.   The thing is the higher the club goes the more professional and experienced the people behind the scenes need to be.  In the same way as the playing staff has to change and progression the field the same applies off the field.  If the support staff are the same as who were in situ at step 5 would those self same people be up to the task at step 2 and beyond ?
Mallard. It would seem he adopts a hands on approach to many things. There can't be many football Chairmen that would take it upon themselves to phone other Clubs to try and arrange the loaning out of players. That's  usually the domain of the Manager, assisted by the Club Secretary. You can't knock his workload!
In life, its important to remember that those that can't, usually teach!

jetmanpaul

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 11:04:06 PM »
Think that Mr Cleeve is spot on with his comments, some people on here seem just to moan for moaning's sake, nothing constructive but just seem to have a dig with nearly every comment, opinions!!! if I had some opinions/moans like they did I certainly wouldn't be spending my money where I thought it was wrong/not being run correctly etc.  I'm not a regular contributor to the forum, only post when something gets me going, but I read it every day.  I'm a Lynn lad born and breed with a son who now plays for the youth team (so proud), (and was the sub linesman last season, least said) I've never been so optimistic and excited about Lynn football club as I am now, we all have a moan now and again (I was at Nuneaton) but to go on like some people do well it beggars belief, if I was Mr Cleeve I'd ban them, then they could really  moan about something and I'm sure he wouldn't miss their few quid either, it's only a few but they really hack me off with their constant negativity. Now I've got that off my chest just can't wait for the next game, it's like being a kid at xmas again. Well done Mr Cleeve and Culverhouse for making me feel this way again for football

The Fenman

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2017, 11:44:27 PM »
Fully respect your appreciation of what the chairman is doing on the football side of things or for his ambition.  Most will also feel his frustration at the issue the intruders.   

However,  these are issues you deal with....  His opinion of those charged with protecting us is patronising,   churlish and downright insulting. 

If I had read those comments before Tuesday I would not have signed up for the 12th man....

Now I love what King's Lynn Town is to people. Your / our passion for football... our hometown football club is beyond all else.  A football club is a vehicle for the local community to come together as one.....    being devisive,   rude,  and downright bloody insulting about our local Police does no favours with me.

If you've  got ****ed Poles in the club get a sober Pole to tell them to **** off.

If you don't like the Police stopping speeding motorists,   or the ones that nick cars,  carry drugs,  do robberies,  drink drive,  Injure and sometimes mame ppl,  I would suggest a platform in another arena.... not a Football Club at the heart of a community.

King's Lynn Football Club is better than that....