Author Topic: Lynn v Kettering highlights and interview  (Read 7342 times)

Blue_and_Gold

• Holden Caulfield
    • View Profile
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

rod

• View Profile
Re: Lynn v Kettering highlights and interview
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »
Honest as always but the underlying message is that we cannot compete with the' top teams' (like Kettering) to attract the best players and will in effect have to be patient until the youth policy really starts to bear fruit.....Or am I mis reading things?

If I am correct my primary concern is that other than the very loyal (shrinking) support those who need something more will not attend regularly............A viscious circle will then set in if it becomes obvious fairly early in the new year that we will have to settle at best, mid table.........This will result in revenue declining further etc etc.....Or am I being too pessimistic?

All genuine supporters do I think welcome the youth development policy but would also like to see us at the very least performing at a level that will continue to generate interest through the possibility of a play off place?

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 01:22:37 PM »
Feel sorry for Setch in a position which is controlled by a budget only generated by gates which are declining, other clubs budget set by what the club can earn as a whole and in some cases rich chairman/owner sad to see box day club closes at 1800 for private function,which is probably not part of income for football perposes.My first visit for a while at planet walks not to be repeated soon,nothing about the game all about the match day experience the blue and gold bar is like drinking in a and  e.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 04:18:53 PM »
At present such a massive divide between what the club have got absolutely right and areas where we are seemingly no longer an attractive proposition to many who were once regulars..I don't have one ready made answer but as I have posted previouly, I do think quite a lot of what is wrong is more about dotting i's etc.....common sense (or lack of) rather than the need for huge additional financial investment

A sad state of affairs.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 04:21:19 PM »
on the subject of revenue, was there an official club christmas draw this year  :dontknow:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 06:38:53 PM »
If when the production line really kicks in will we be able to pay these emerging players their worth or will be hoping to be able pay below market value and risk these players going off to seek their fortune elsewhere?  It could be suggested that playing the loyalty card is a dangerous one to play.

Fact is the club needs to generate a lot more income. Having a full time GM must start to pay dividends soon, plus once the Reserves join forces with the club then that should be another source of income for the GM to get his teeth into.

If the fans will only turn out in big numbers to support a winning team then the up turn should come when Setchs young squad starts to reach the potential that so many think is a given.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2015, 09:39:06 PM »

Fact is the club needs to generate a lot more income. Having a full time GM must start to pay dividends soon, plus once the Reserves join forces with the club then that should be another source of income for the GM to get his teeth into.

:stir:  :countingmoney:

Frontman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2015, 10:52:14 PM »
It sits a self fulfilling prophesy when the 'now' leaseholder has no interest in football and utilises the hire and bar as a Personal Income with only gates and commercial advertising(Gary Setchell responsible now) supporting Team function.
Fine for 4 years playing budget way above the League level! Now hit on equality of League standing the budget is fragile as gates become an issue!
Football is a game of chance made less so over a season when quality players will prevail.
At present a local focus(well overdue) now needs time and attention to coaching the players and team!!
UNTIL a sugar daddy or a group of business people take on this Club as was (1979-84 & 2000-2005) the Club will sink whilst the lease holder can concentrate on his real business and cream off an income at supporter or hiring cliental!!

Bluescottie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2015, 07:15:14 AM »
Didn't this happen, a group of business people did take on the club and it was liquidated with depts of over 70,000 and what happened to the sugar daddy?

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2015, 07:34:03 AM »
What we have got is not the ideal, whatever that is, but given a choice between what we have had in the past and what we have now I  would definitely stick with the present model. Do people not think that Setch is not trying to raise more funds, you cannot spend what you have not got, and is not trying to put together something that is sustainable? The result on Boxing day has given the doom mongers a chance to put out all the usual negatives about the club, we lost to a better team on the day and that regularly happens in football, get over it.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 09:33:01 AM »
The result on Boxing day has nothing to do with the bigger picture Tazzy, as i am sure you will agree.  There is a massive amount of faith being put into developing the Youth through to a standard where they can fill a squad of locally based players.  Thats fine and very commendable, but If we get say 6 players who are real stars players at say step 3, will we be in a postion to pay these players their truth worth ( Market Forces dictate) or will these players be off elsewhere for more money? Lets be fair, Money in all forms of football does talk!  If we are expecting local players to stick with the club when they reach the required standard, would they not be expecting the same rewards as they could gain elsewhere ?

Lets also not forget that we are going to have to 'import' a few in where we have gaps to fill, and that we cannot find an answer to locally. That will come at a cost.

The trouble it appears is we are not competing on a level playing field.  Other Clubs with much smaller gates than us have what appears to be bigger budgets (this seems to be the problem of finding that 25 goal a season striker that Setch says he needs).  What these other Clubs seem to have is a way of fund raising where all the efforts and rewards are all put toward the benefit of the Club.  We do not seem to have that at Lynn.

Could it be suggested that a lot of the fans ( almost half) have deserted the Club because they have woken up and smelt the coffee and seen that not all money raised from the Walks is for the benefit of the Club in General.  Maybe the rest of us that are left  can see it as well, but choose not to.

Tell me  which part I have a got wrong Tazzy.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 10:26:18 AM »
Local players will always cost less as there are no travel costs, the wages may well be the same but I doubt it. We have had an instance of a 'local' player refusing money that Setch was prepared to pay, because he was/is happy to be playing for King's Lynn Town.
People keep saying that they accept and agree with the 'new model' of more local players etc., but along comes the bad result and they change their tune and say we  cannot wait for players to develop we need to spend more on non-local players, regardless of the budget. The majority of the 1st team squad are local, experienced level 3 players, so we are not looking for 5 or 6 more to fill the gaps. A striker to score 20+ goals, where are they, and I am sure Setch would like to replace Conor Marshall as well.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 01:19:04 PM »
The result on Boxing day has nothing to do with the bigger picture Tazzy, as i am sure you will agree.  There is a massive amount of faith being put into developing the Youth through to a standard where they can fill a squad of locally based players.  Thats fine and very commendable, but If we get say 6 players who are real stars players at say step 3, will we be in a postion to pay these players their truth worth ( Market Forces dictate) or will these players be off elsewhere for more money? Lets be fair, Money in all forms of football does talk!  If we are expecting local players to stick with the club when they reach the required standard, would they not be expecting the same rewards as they could gain elsewhere ?

Lets also not forget that we are going to have to 'import' a few in where we have gaps to fill, and that we cannot find an answer to locally. That will come at a cost.

The trouble it appears is we are not competing on a level playing field.  Other Clubs with much smaller gates than us have what appears to be bigger budgets (this seems to be the problem of finding that 25 goal a season striker that Setch says he needs).  What these other Clubs seem to have is a way of fund raising where all the efforts and rewards are all put toward the benefit of the Club.  We do not seem to have that at Lynn.

Could it be suggested that a lot of the fans ( almost half) have deserted the Club because they have woken up and smelt the coffee and seen that not all money raised from the Walks is for the benefit of the Club in General.  Maybe the rest of us that are left  can see it as well, but choose not to.

Tell me  which part I have a got wrong Tazzy.

Well said, Mallard - i agree with your every word! Yet it is a sad fact that a bit like from a national perspective when trying to initiate a sensible constructive debate on subjects like climate change and immigration, locally, the subject of the club that we all love(?) and discussion about its current strengths and weaknesses and where things might be improved is sometimes inhibited by a defensive, protective attitude when perhaps there is no need for one?............................I am largely supportive of Setch' and most certainly the youth development policy and I have no particular allegience (other than being a supporter) to any factions within or around the club........In political terms I am an independent! Yet it is so obvious to me and others that Setch' in terms of realising the club's true potential is working with 'one hand tied behind his back' - particularly in relation to revenue generation and as I have posted separately I forsee a falling off from even the current level of support, if as seems likely we have to settle soon for mid table - at best?

Was Boxing Day just a bad day at the office? Setch' post match seemed to me to be suggesting that we should accept this situation for this season?

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2015, 01:50:25 PM »
some very sensible and interesting opinions on here. is it now time for buster to fully hand over the running of the club to setch. with all monies generated at the walks, staying at the walks, for the sole use of the football club. the bar profits alone might easily support the striker people keep alluding to.

please discuss.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 02:00:18 PM »
Tazzy People on this forum are by and large the converted.  They are the ones who are interested in the Club and there has been full support of Setch and what he is looking to do with the Youth, ok it might be suggested he could have put things in place much sooner, rather than waste a certain amount of money on outside players, who in certain cases took the pee out of him and the club and just collected  money for very little effort.  Thats all gone now, the past.  So we move on and hopefully learn from those mistakes.

The facts are that the numbers on the terraces  have dropped away at first team level, Now many people have their suspicions as to why, as I am sure you have.  I wouldnt think your views would differ greatly from others.

It is very much a modern thing where fans ( as well as owners and directors) want, no demand success and they have to have it today.   Gone, it seems are the days when a manager is given time to build a team.  It would seem 50% of Lynn fans feel the same.  Put out a winning team today and they will turn up.  Promise them a winning team in 2 years time, and they will turn up in 2 years time, if the team is winning.  Im not saying it is right, but It certainly seems the way Football works these days.  Look at Chelsea.  Won the League back in May, still in Europe, but bottom 6 of the League, so that appears to count for nothing. The manager is gone, no chance to re-build

Its good  that Players from The Reserves want to play for the 1st team for nothing, all credit to them.  Lets say Young Edge comes of age and becomes a 20 goal a season step 3 player.  I have no idea what the going rate for that would be, but lets say its 400 but Lynn can only afford 200, would anybody really blame the lad if he left for more money ?  How many seasons could We expect him to keep turning offes down to stay ?

We, as a Club need to find ways of looking after the The local players  and that doesnt come by not paying them their worth because X amount of the Clubs Potenial is not going toward the Football and its future, and is going elsewhere never to be seen again.

Tazzy, I know we dont always agree, and you make some good points in support of what you believe, but sometimes you have to take those glasses off and see what is in fact sterring you in the face.  The General Football People Of Kings Lynn are not buying into it.

WHY ??