Author Topic: Goal scorers  (Read 4698 times)

m a hill

• View Profile
Goal scorers
« on: November 04, 2017, 08:57:36 PM »
After watching two defeats on the trot and our strikers firing blanks ,it leads me to thinking are our strikers up to the task and does Ian need to bring in new blood ,what’s your thoughts

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
Re: Goal scorers
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 09:04:49 PM »
I think Ryan Hawkins should have been playing from the start with Mettam and Gash.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 09:07:48 PM »
Wasn't the  lad Siddons starting to find the net prior to Holt coming in ?

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:26:12 PM »
Hawks needs to be on wing supplying crosses ,we can see it why the hell cant the manager

Turtle84

• Aka Tom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 02:38:54 AM »
no, we don't need new strikers, we need to supply our strikers, gash will score but you need to be putting it in the box for him. he's coming deep to collect the ball to try make things happen. if anywhere, we need a centre back that's a bit older with experience of these leagues and another hawkins type player. take him out and we seem to die of pace

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 09:45:04 AM »
no, we don't need new strikers, we need to supply our strikers, gash will score but you need to be putting it in the box for him. he's coming deep to collect the ball to try make things happen. if anywhere, we need a centre back that's a bit older with experience of these leagues and another hawkins type player. take him out and we seem to die of pace

The "suppliers" also need to realise that Leon Mettam is not the tallest of striker's and supply him at chest height (or lower) as he keeps trying to tell them.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

m a hill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 10:47:15 AM »
A quick winger now you’re talking that’s exactly what we need

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 11:49:00 AM »
A quick winger now you’re talking that’s exactly what we need
But we were using quick wing-backs in Norman and Blake-Tracey and at the start of the season they were really effective - we need to revert back to plan A.

We definitely have good enough players but we are not currently getting the best out of them.

Southlinnet

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 12:29:39 PM »
I've been very disappointed with Gash and Mettam. Gash seems off the pace and doesn't seem to have any authority on games and as for Mettam, how long have I got? Offside a lot of the time, seems to miss the chances he does get and moans at the officials a lot of the time.

I'd prefer Siddons was given a chance but hopefully, some of the money Holt was on will be available to get a new striker in. A defender would be nice too.

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 07:34:18 PM »
Some decent balls were put in the box yesterday but 5 foot nothing Mettam stands at the back post waiting for it to drop at his feet.You have to make it happen with a run across the front post.Fair enough Gash at the back post but he seems to spend too much time out on the wing and ultimately cost us the game yesterday.I do like Gash but needs to be where it matters.

Coastal linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 09:19:32 AM »
I thought Gash was a bit of a nomadic warrior on Saturday, working harder than many of the other players and probably getting increasingly frustrated as when he got hold of the ball there was no one close enough to develop the move ( Mettam now has a big man with him on the pitch, so no more excuses!)I thought there was quite a lot of hoof ball, hit and hope that the Chesham defenders handled with apparent ease Where were the defenders when Chesham seized possession and scored?. In saying that thought Gaughan and Street had good games on the whole.

THEONEYOUNEED

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 12:20:09 PM »
Too many clichés in modern football.  We need a couple of skilful "quick over 5 yards players to get through "forest of legs" defences (eg Mildenhall). Either of the two Hitchin whippets, or any of the same type at Stortford, particularly the little red-headed youngster.  He would have opened up Mildenhall ( didn't see the Chesham game) and made easy chances for our strikers.  A quick skilful team will always beat a team of strong hard-working "troops".

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2017, 04:29:34 PM »
And an average long ball team will always beat an average passing team.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2017, 05:17:51 PM »

That's an interesting and controversial point of view Long Suffering. What sides would you describe as average passing and average long ball and why do think that long ball is superior in these instances?

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 10:44:29 AM »

That's an interesting and controversial point of view Long Suffering. What sides would you describe as average passing and average long ball and why do think that long ball is superior in these instances?

Any takers? I think this is an interesting point, suggesting that long ball can more effective than trying to pass your way through.

I recall someone telling me that John Beck at Cambridge Utd used to ask the groundsman to leave the grass in the corners long so that long balls would hold up allowing Cambridge to press high and pressure the ball back. It used to work apparently!