Author Topic: Top of league, still.  (Read 2708 times)

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Top of league, still.
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 04:29:44 PM »
As BJORK might sing  It's oh so quiet on here.
Ok so clubs have games in hand but at least we have got our points and are top of the league so why oh why is everyone so quiet.
Is it because there is nothing to moan about, can't believe that as some will always find something.
IC is doing a great job and like or dislike the chairman you cannot say he hasn't turned the club around from where it was last year mid  season.
So come on all you true linnets give the club & players the encouragement they deserve and even you moaners must agree top of the league is something to shout about.

:scarf:  :cheers:

I generally like to come on to here to discuss issues relating to the performance of the team good or bad. It's difficult to discuss a game that you didn't see and that no one, who was present at the game, has made any comments about. What do you think of the performance of our front two Normski? Would you stick or would you twist? What do you think of the fact that Hawkins was on the bench and do you think Lappin is worth a place in the starting line up? Over to you mate.

Linnet1947

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2017, 09:55:14 PM »
We may be top of the league at the moment, but will it last ? We are struggling to beat the bottom sides, and we still dont have a fox in the box to put those chances away. The teams below us have games in hand, and we still have to play Weymouth at home, and the other three (Hereford, Kettering, Slough) home and away. If we dont get results against these other top teams, we will struggle to get in the play offs!

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 11:48:53 PM »
A lot of the games I have seen this season the team seems to be under performing,we are spending a lot of money this season,but will we even finish in a playoff place? :dontknow:
Donít you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 12:04:28 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htobTBlCvUU

Lets all celebrate another lacklustre performance away from home,all you folks who think away draws against teams so much lower than us is a plus reallly need to take a long hard look at things,we cannot afford to keep giving away points! :banghead; :banghead; :banghead;
Donít you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought? In the end we shall make thoughtcrime literally impossible, because there will be no words in which to express it.

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 12:04:46 AM »
Yes we will.
Mettam will come good, you wait and see!

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 12:09:16 AM »
Yes we will.

He has half a season to register his 20 goals a season claim? :dontknow: :dontknow:

GrahamB

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 08:03:14 AM »
But we have our points on the board! The teams with games in hand can only overtake us either by winning them all or by winning 2 and drawing one. In August would we not have been  happy with this situation had it been predicted? Lets turn all this negativity into positivity for a change and enjoy the ride!!!!!!  :scarf:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 08:59:21 AM »
Good call Graham.    I think the expectation bar has risen so high that we are now expecting, even demanding wins every game.   Face it folks, that aint gonna happen.

My understanding was he wanted to be in the mix at Christmas and then re-asses.   I am sure the Chairman will dig deep, if needed and give IC a little bit extra to strengthen, if he sees fit.

The only slight concern I have is the fact for the 2nd game on the trot we have gone away with only 14 players.  Is there a reason for this ?  I thought the squad was about 20 strong so it does seems a little strange to travel with 14 when you have 3 players out on loan.

I wonder what My old Mate Stan has to say on the matter ?

bobdunk

• Bob Dunkling
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 09:04:29 AM »
Well said Mallard and GrahamB. People will get what they wish for

Turtle84

• Aka Tom
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 09:45:50 AM »
Yes we will.

He has half a season to register his 20 goals a season claim? :dontknow: :dontknow:

as said on Facebook, no one other then you is claiming mettham is a 20 goal a season striker, Ian certainly hasn't. if you think other top teams in this league won't drop points against lower teams then you are wrong, they will. remember, Ian is in his first full season with us, I'm sure the 2nd half of the season he will make some changes. I think on a positive note, it's good to see goals coming from other areas of the pitch, yes Clunans from the spot but others like hawkins, Parker etc helps

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 11:50:06 AM »
Yes we will.

as said on Facebook, no one other then you is claiming mettham is a 20 goal a season striker, Ian certainly hasn't. if you think other top teams in this league won't drop points against lower teams then you are wrong, they will. remember, Ian is in his first full season with us, I'm sure the 2nd half of the season he will make some changes. I think on a positive note, it's good to see goals coming from other areas of the pitch, yes Clunans from the spot but others like hawkins, Parker etc helps

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/kings-lynn-town/king-s-lynn-town-hitman-leon-mettam-eyes-goals-at-happy-times-after-leaving-tamworth-1-4569127

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 01:45:07 PM »
Looks like Turtle was right.   No one said he was a 20 goal a season man...  Now 25-30  is a different matter.  He is certainly gonna have to start getting busy.   Maybe a place in the starting 11 would be the ideal place to start.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 01:57:06 PM »
Yes we will.

Apology accepted.  :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2017, 02:00:57 PM »
Good call Graham.    I think the expectation bar has risen so high that we are now expecting, even demanding wins every game.   Face it folks, that aint gonna happen.

My understanding was he wanted to be in the mix at Christmas and then re-asses.   I am sure the Chairman will dig deep, if needed and give IC a little bit extra to strengthen, if he sees fit.

The only slight concern I have is the fact for the 2nd game on the trot we have gone away with only 14 players.  Is there a reason for this ?  I thought the squad was about 20 strong so it does seems a little strange to travel with 14 when you have 3 players out on loan.

Agree that we can't win every game, nice to have that expectation after the past few seasons and shows just how far we have come on the pitch under IC.  Have to say that I am not sure that SC will or indeed should 'dig deep' as I can't see that extra 'investment' (hate that word in this context) is that justified with no guarantee that a batch of new faces will settle and even then there are some pretty strong sides in the league this season which would make it a pretty big gamble to secure the single automatic promotion spot, otherwise I think we are in the mix for the playoffs with what we have plus maybe the odd addition. 

As for squad strength, we don't really have that much with Blake-Tracey missing for a couple of weeks and now Clunan is going to be out with a ban.  No real defensive cover (is Frary good enough?) and I haven't seen anything in Whayman or McQuaid to suggest that either is capable of holding down a starting spot so not much midfield cover either.  Personally happy with the lads going out on loan as it gives them game time but think it might have been wise to have had Matty Castellan back rather than Frary although don't know if it was an option.  Maybe worth looking at a loan or two to get through December if IC could pull a few strings somewhere?

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 10:08:46 AM »

In general terms Mallard I agree with Graham: that Lynn are in a strong position and this should be applauded. You can't expect any team to roll over just because the league leaders are in town and some teams won't let you play beautiful football; you just have to grind out points sometimes.

Critical observations about performances should not be seen as negativity and this would be a pretty dull forum if fans only came on here to say well done all the time. It would be an unhealthy state of affairs if people were so worried about being accused, wrongly, of being negative and moaning that they refused to post their comments.
My overall view of the team currently is that we are playing well enough and getting enough points to achieve a play-off position: anything less would be extremely frustrating, not failure, but disappointing, to say the least.
From what I have seen of the team this season, at our best, we are potentially the best footballing team in the league and have the potential to win the league outright. Whether we realise that potential remains to be seen.