Author Topic: Ask Setch  (Read 11874 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Ask Setch
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 03:12:59 PM »
Way to easy to mention Ballcocks and Plungers.  :countingmoney:

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 03:30:20 PM »
Perhaps a generational divide here? Non league used to be first and formost about playing for the love of the game with payment something of a bonus.............Now, well if it is only a job maybe that speaks volumes about why so many players have to be 'motivated' to go on the pitch and deliver 100% effort....Maybe also that is one of the reasons that the majority of clubs are finding it increasingly difficult to get people to come along and watch them on a regular basis?

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 04:25:33 PM »
Another reason why the club has gone for more local talent. Local players are more likely to give 100%. Most local players will cost less when totalling wages and expenses. From the Chesham game interview Matty Castellan made the point that as a youngster at the Walks his aim was to one day play there. He also proved that there is talent locally, how many have been overlooked and good money has been spent on players who are only here for the money.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »
Absolutely the right way to go...Aside from it being sound economically, I would always rather watch local boys 'made good', though eventually losing the occasional player to a higher level team as long as we earn a fee,which would  illustrate that the project is working well.

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 07:52:23 PM »
We can only earn a fee if player is on contract, have to be careful about dishing out contracts to often, but as have mentioned before some of our local players are being tracked by other clubs M Cast is one of.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2016, 08:16:26 AM »
The Big test will come at some point when one of these local lads is offered good money to move elsewhere.  If we bring players in from other local clubs ( Edge, Castellan, Street, Yong, Clunan, Mulready to name a few) plus develop through from our own youth system then we need to find a way of paying these players their full worth and not risk losing them to other Clubs who can afford to pay a lot more.  Otherwise the whole thing falls flat on its face.  Just because a lad lives local doesnt mean we can take it for granted that we should be able to get him on the cheap.  There is a big wide World out there, where clubs still have money to throw about.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2016, 10:11:03 AM »
We can only earn a fee if player is on contract, have to be careful about dishing out contracts to often, but as have mentioned before some of our local players are being tracked by other clubs M Cast is one of.

I agree re contracts - a need to be selective but occasionally a young player comes along who has that special something that sets them apart and I believe that Matt Castellan has that x factor.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2016, 12:10:59 PM »
contracts are all when and good, but are not a one way street.  A contract shows committment form both parties.  Imagine if we had the likes of Connor Marshall ( no disrespect to Connor, just using him as an example)  on contract with his long term injury.  That would swallow up X amount of the budget on a player who is not going to kick a ball for you again this season.  Either way is a gamble.  Plus lets not forget Thommo was on contract, and we got sod all squared out of that, in real terms.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2016, 01:44:29 PM »
contracts are all when and good, but are not a one way street.  A contract shows committment form both parties.  Imagine if we had the likes of Connor Marshall ( no disrespect to Connor, just using him as an example)  on contract with his long term injury.  That would swallow up X amount of the budget on a player who is not going to kick a ball for you again this season.  Either way is a gamble.  Plus lets not forget Thommo was on contract, and we got sod all squared out of that, in real terms.

I still don't understand the logic of the Thomson siuation / transer......I just cannot see the point of a contract unless it is to safeguard your financial asset (the player) and to give that player also, a degree of security? So.......If and when he moves upwards a transfer fee should be forthcoming??????

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2016, 02:07:10 PM »
It is a difficult one. If a club two steps higher comes in for a player and the player wants away for the opportunity then what should a club do?
If the club insists on a fee and that is not forthcoming then you might end up with a player who is seriously pee'd off and no longer wants to play you.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »

I still don't understand the logic of the Thomson siuation / transer......I just cannot see the point of a contract unless it is to safeguard your financial asset (the player) and to give that player also, a degree of security? So.......If and when he moves upwards a transfer fee should be forthcoming??????

The only short term benefit I can see is that a player under contract cannot be the subject of a seven day approach, so it does give the club some say on who can speak to a player. George should have gone to a higher level without question, although it does make you wonder if KLTFC got any benefit at all out of the deal. Even a sell-on fee may be risky if for example Chester agree that he can go to FCUM permanently, and free.

Other than the short term thing I've always thought contracts at this level seem to be quite meaningless. Pat Bexfield was under contract with us yet walked away. Similarly Grantham let us take Gregg Smith last season despite him being on contract.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »
Anyone who saw Matty Castellan's interview after the Chesham game must realise he is very happy as a Linnet, he has also played in only a few games so far and with only a few games for Swaffham this season has only played at level six. As he admitted in the interview he has had to get a lot fitter and is learning a great deal from the senior players. Those mentioned above are not local, when was the last time a King's Lynn lad left the club for a higher level, contracted or not?
As with our ups and downs this season where supporters write that its 'an absolute disaster' or 'we were brilliant' in Matty Castellans case after one full game 'we need to get him on contract', I wonder what the views will be when he has a bad game? Give the lad a chance.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2016, 04:10:02 PM »
Tazzy, I have only seen positive comments re young Matty on here.  Of course the lad will have the odd dodgy one, he is learning his trade so to be expected.  I am sure Setch will take him out of the fray from time to time, if he does have a poor one or 2.  Its remarkable to think the lad was only playing step 6 last season and had only a few games at step 5 prior to joining us.  Was he a Backie signing for the Reserves or one of Setchs for the first team ? I seem to recall he started with us in the Reserves which if this was the case, all credit to the lad as it would have been a step backwards with the hope of moving forwards.

Was his talent not spotted though prior to joining Swaffham, or just Paul Hunt got in there first ?

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »
Mallard I am only saying that what is being said about him after the Chesham game is pretty silly and what will be said when he has a bad one. He was a Setch signing nothing to do with the reserves although he has had a couple of run outs with us. I have known him since he was a youngster and he played a lot for Downham youngsters and has been at Swaffham for a couple of years at least. I don't know if Joff tried to sign but up until last season he would have been taking a step down. I hope to see his younger brother at Lynn sometime in the future, also at Swaffham and a very good player.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2016, 05:28:50 PM »
I can't think of any of the young/reserve players who have disappointed playing for the first team. Had the odd difficult game maybe, but I think every one of them has been deserving of their places in the team. They're honest lads that clearly enjoy playing football and most importantly WANT to play for King's Lynn.

Regarding stepping up, Simon Bird is another who has come up several levels this season and not looked out of place for the first team. I know Backie has explained his current circumstances but I was very impressed with him when he came into the first team.