Author Topic: Gaughran departs  (Read 6219 times)

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
Re: Gaughran departs
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2018, 09:27:44 AM »
:oldman"
Got to say I think Ward is no great shakes and Stan saying Sam has his limitations at this level seems strange as he was a valued regular at Lowestoft a league up from us.Also played league football.

:farmer: Sam did play at a higher level with Lowestoft, also played league football, unfortunately for him this was in the past and is history, he has upped his game recently but he was poor earlier in the season, personally not to disappointed he has left. 
We could say Lappin, Gash, Mettam or even Culverhouse have played higher level football, but when the time comes and you don't cut the mustard you are moved on, FACT OF FOOTBALL.

Couldn't agree more!

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2018, 11:19:23 AM »
All I'm saying is he has been made the scapegoat when Ward has been shocking in quite a few of the games I've been to.If Gaughran had been playing at Farnborough he would have been slated but nothing was said because Fryatt and Ward were playing and it was just a blip.Ha ha.We will see.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »
All I'm saying is he has been made the scapegoat when Ward has been shocking in quite a few of the games I've been to.If Gaughran had been playing at Farnborough he would have been slated but nothing was said because Fryatt and Ward were playing and it was just a blip.Ha ha.We will see.

Defenders always seem to be scapegoats, was Gullies not one under Setch? Will we see a scapegoat amongst the strikers?  :bankrupt:
What really falls me is that people are so clever hiding behind a name and continually calling people out for their opinions! I like real people who can discuss things face to face, please make it a prerequisite that if you join the forum your actual name is visible. Cue posters leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »

Ward has played 47 games for the club and this season has often been in the middle of a back 3, something by his own admission he had never done before.  Personally from the games I have seen he has been far from shocking and I have generally been impressed and whilst he does still make the odd mistake (don't they all at this level) he is still progressing into a very accomplished player at this level.  Unfortunately Sam was going the other way and that isn't making him a scapegoat, just an acceptance that players can't carry on forever and they all have a 'shelf life'.  As I said earlier I was surprised that Sam was retained from last year but perhaps that was down to what he brought to training as much as his on field ability but either way it is IC's squad and he will change it according to what he sees and the budget provided to him.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2018, 12:32:22 PM »
Does that mean that all players not performing to their full potential will be under threat?  :dontknow:
What really falls me is that people are so clever hiding behind a name and continually calling people out for their opinions! I like real people who can discuss things face to face, please make it a prerequisite that if you join the forum your actual name is visible. Cue posters leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bovril

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2018, 12:35:16 PM »
Very  true tony and grissels why not as i think siddons shold start a few games as well.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2018, 01:33:43 PM »
Michael Gash playing a holding "Jack Defty" type role with Tom Siddons and Ryan Hawkins either side. Parker tidying up behind those three. Unfortunately Leon Mettam is not tall enough to cope with higher balls unless it's at chest height as he often indicates that's where he wants it.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2018, 01:24:23 PM »
Does that mean that all players not performing to their full potential will be under threat?  :dontknow:

'Threat' may be too strong a word but IC (or any manager) wouldn't be doing his job if he wasn't continually trying to improve his squad.  Whether players are playing to their 'full potential' is a different question but something must be going right if you look at the league table, how many of us expected the squad that started the season (only Lappin has been added since then) would be top at this stage?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2018, 03:52:32 PM »
I would Guess Big Sam had to go as Cameron King was coming in and the books had to be balanced.   I would suggest that Clubs in The Top 6 of our league would have an increase in budget to strengthen.  Maybe Not in our case.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2018, 11:32:13 AM »
I would Guess Big Sam had to go as Cameron King was coming in and the books had to be balanced.   I would suggest that Clubs in The Top 6 of our league would have an increase in budget to strengthen.  Maybe Not in our case.

Replacing Gaughran with King is strengthening.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 09, 2018, 12:06:57 PM »
Stan  You are like a school playground bully.   Now read My post again.  Then come back and I will give you lines.  :laughcry:

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 09, 2018, 12:26:24 PM »
Stan  You are like a school playground bully.   Now read My post again.  Then come back and I will give you lines.  :laughcry:

Are you disappointed that Lynn let go of Gaughran instead of Ward, Mallard?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 09, 2018, 01:23:37 PM »
Smart question Stan.   Both give us something different.   A Fit Sam was an asset.  Ward is a very commanding presence aerial wise.    Do you think the right choice was made.    I wonder if budget had an affect on the decision ?

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »
Has signed for Royston