Author Topic: Almost a year  (Read 2180 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Almost a year
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 07:53:25 AM »
Was Setch actually doing the coaching ?  I thought he had his Oppo Stevo  doing that after Neil Fryatt left.

As For the Culverhouse having the budget to pull together a decent squad, that is certainly one tool you need in your bag.  However you still need the right person to pull all the bits together to form a solid squad that is going to do the job.   Only have to look at Leicester winning the Premiership to understand its not always just about the money. 

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 10:40:41 AM »
Was Setch actually doing the coaching ?  I thought he had his Oppo Stevo  doing that after Neil Fryatt left.

As For the Culverhouse having the budget to pull together a decent squad, that is certainly one tool you need in your bag.  However you still need the right person to pull all the bits together to form a solid squad that is going to do the job.   Only have to look at Leicester winning the Premiership to understand its not always just about the money.
Delegating the Coaching to another,better qualified person.There's nothing wrong with that.It's good Management
Mallard, a couple of questions.
What League position do you think we would be in if Setch was still in charge and had three times the amount of budget to work with than he had during his time here?
Or indeed what League position would we be now if Culverhouse was working on the same budget as Setch had?
Of course we don't know what the budget was in Setch's time anymore than we do now so you may think they are one and the same,although I don't think many supporters would think that to be the case.
Claudio Ranieri.What happened to him the season after his success?Fantastic job he did.The stuff of dreams.Was it ever going to be sustainable?
In life, its important to remember that those that can't, usually teach!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2018, 10:59:56 AM »
Adam, some very interesting questions there, which is all purely  conjecture  on most peoples part.

Difficult to compare like for like as Setch, it would seem had a totally different style to Culverhouse.   If Setch had 3 times the budget ( is that what you figure IC is working on ?)   I don't think for one moment he would have gone for the same type of player as IC.  They have different ideas in terms of style of play. 

I think IC has embraced the Reserves and tried to dip them in when the situation has permitted, I am not sure that Setch felt the same way about the 2nd string.  Certainly   IC and Backie have a strong working relationship which was perhaps not the same during Setch's time.

As For League places that's a difficult one.  Culverhouse certainly has a the full Coaching manual and no doubt improves players, maybe not enough to get up amongst the play-offs though.

A question for you Adam..... Which manager out of the 2 has given the Club The best value for Money on the remuneration that each received/receives ?   

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2018, 11:29:18 AM »
I like the value for money question Mallard but for me Culverhouse hasn't been at the club long enough to compare him in such terms with Setchell.

You seem to suggest that the current Lynn side may not be good enough for a play-off place. Do you really think that?

Blue Moon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2018, 12:09:09 PM »
 :swear: How can anybody accurately discuss, debate value for money or financial subjects, it's all conjecture , none of you know really know what budget or salary past or present managers have to work with.
Let's just enjoy what we've got, and look forward to the rest of what appears to be an exciting end to the season.
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »
I like the value for money question Mallard but for me Culverhouse hasn't been at the club long enough to compare him in such terms with Setchell.

You seem to suggest that the current Lynn side may not be good enough for a play-off place. Do you really think that?

100% we are at least making the playoffs, at very worst we are the 4th best team in this league.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »
Certainly not Stan, if anything I think we are good enough to win the thing, not saying we will, but good enough Oh yes !!  I Meant if IC had Setch's budget and players he wouldn't have got them into the play-offs.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 02:58:24 PM »

100% we are at least making the playoffs, at very worst we are the 4th best team in this league.

I would say 3rd. Kettering, although they beat us, are not as a good a team as King's Lynn who have more skill and midfield control. We had a suspect defence and no-one in the box strike force at Kettering. That had been rectified against Dorchester.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2018, 04:46:37 PM »

I would say 3rd. Kettering, although they beat us, are not as a good a team as King's Lynn who have more skill and midfield control. We had a suspect defence and no-one in the box strike force at Kettering. That had been rectified against Dorchester.

Iím confident we are 2nd best, Slough seem like a force going forward but pretty mediocre at the back

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2018, 06:18:20 PM »
If we miss out and end up 2nd do we get home draws in the semi and hopefully the final of the play-offs ?

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2018, 07:22:05 PM »
If we miss out and end up 2nd do we get home draws in the semi and hopefully the final of the play-offs ?

That is my understanding yes. Does any one no which league we would move up to?

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2018, 07:00:53 AM »

That is my understanding yes. Does any one no which league we would move up to?

Almost certainly the National North, given that thatís where Lowestoft were put. Lots of long away trips.

Non League

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
All depends on who gets promoted/relegated. Say Lynn go up through play offs with Hereford winning league (or vice versa), Hereford would go into south with likely the two Isthmian sides who'd you assume going off this seasons form would be Billericay and Dulwich, replacing the current bottom three who are all on the south coast (Poole, Whitehawk, Bognor Regis) meaning North for Lynn. Say Kettering were to go up with Lynn, it would make things much more interesting, because you could argue (depending on who gets promoted from National North and Northern Prem) that there's a lot more closer sides in North for Kettering then Lynn, even though Lynn is 'further' north. Gloucester were to go down from South, and Brackley don't go up from North, can make a case for them moving to South and both Kettering/Lynn going North, but would Brackley want that switch if they've assembled a side for the North division in terms of locations of players (if they can even have a say in it)?

Either way it's going to be a long distance to nearest games regardless league and I'd say it's 85% likely to be North if promoted. Plus side is two games against Boston.