Author Topic: The pitch and other things  (Read 3039 times)

rod

• View Profile
The pitch and other things
« on: January 09, 2016, 11:34:50 AM »
Sometimes after defeats - especially those that are unexpected, rather than perhaps deal with the reality of what actually happened, like most football supporters 'we' seek to blame 'outside factors', at least in part............The obvious choices being the officials, sometimes unfairly blamed for their bias when in fact they have been fair but just incompetent and more recently the state of our pitch has been raised as a factor that has undermined our performance. I think that this is also unfair as I can recall times when from the top level down conditions resembled a ploughed field? What particularly brought this to mind was the state of Exeter's pitch last evening - IMO in a worse state than ours....It would be great to play on a pristine surface all year round and yes there are some in a better condition than ours - but is it really that bad? I don't for one minute believe the pitch condition inhibited Merthyr - who played some excellent football - not just hoof ball?

So to Chesham and I wonder how many hardy souls will risk putting themselves through more avoidable angst? Not often over the years have I agonised to such a degree whther to go to a game - this time I did but supporting the linnets whatever the club formation has become integral to life.................Masochism of sorts, perhaps?

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
Re: The pitch and other things
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 12:32:15 PM »
Rod our pitch by modern standeds has been so much better since the underground drainage system was enstalled, years gone by with the current weather we would have had many games called off.

hickathrift

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 06:29:48 PM »
I also think our pitch is much better than most in non-league.....I will say though I thought today against Chesham the line markings were very hardly visible!..Surely this could be improved?

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 09:23:58 PM »
Did the lino's running on the opposite lines to usual have anything to do with the near side touch line nearest the turnstiles being particularly boggy?

jackdaw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 10:44:34 AM »
Robbo, I can remember not long ago a game called off as it was deemed dangerous for the lino to run up and down. Always wondered
how much it would cost to install a strip of astro turf or the like to avoid this dopey reason for calling a game off, imagine the likes of Merthyr
or Poole arriving to find a game called off for this reason !

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 11:43:24 AM »
The Sheffield game three years ago sticks in my mind, it was the same area of the pitch (nearside near the turnstiles) that was the problem but on that day the referee would rather call it off than have the linesmen running the opposite lines.

I noticed St Neots had installed Astro strips behind the touch lines where the linesmen run. Chatting to a friend who officiates at this level and he says it is a no win situation as the Astro strips become slippery when wet so are often avoided anyway.