Author Topic: Today  (Read 6062 times)

rod

• View Profile
Today
« on: January 09, 2016, 06:27:49 PM »
High tempo, momentum and closing down from the outset and throughout the game - brilliant and a great team performance......Today was everything that Tuesday was not, against a decent team..For me the team deserved MOM but a special mention for Matty Castellan who made a huge difference. IMO he is a young player with a great future ahead of him and he plays with a maturity way beyond his years.

Comsidering what had gone before and the weather a very decent gate?

sworn 2 secrets

• View Profile
Re: Today
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 09:19:25 PM »
Have mentioned in other posts Matty cast is being looked at by other clubs, put him on a contract now or poss lose him for nothing.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 09:25:52 PM »
Castellan looks like he has been playing at this level for years. Calm, does the basics right and never panics under pressure. A lot has been made about the signing and development of Dylan Edge this year, but for me Matt C deserves just as much praise.

Paddygray

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 11:19:59 PM »
Chesham did not offer too much of a threat and Lynn pretty much controlled the game. A good, solid team performance   and a 2-0 home win which on current form means that Lynn will be gash in the next match.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 09:44:23 AM »
How do any of us (Setch included) put our finger on the gulf in form from game to game? Tiredness? Complacency? The players deserved their criticism after Kettering and Merthyr but in similar measure deserve their praise after St Neots and Chesham. They say life is never dull watching Lynn!

We have a week now to prepare for our trip to Poole. The league leaders away, but we showed we were more than a match for them at The Walks!

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 12:03:36 PM »
Robbo, absolutely agree about the roller coaster which is being a Lynn supporter.............With regard to the reasons for the gulf in performance from one game to the next. Sometimes as much as it might be difficult I think it better to face reality rather that seek the relative comfort of delusion. Every member of the team and managment deserve praise for yesterday's high tempo 90+ minutes - a stellar team performance but they also have to accept the blame for 'Merthyr' head on IMO - if for no other reason than that they learn from it. For me it was not tiredness in the physical sense but complacency - not deliberate but possibly a sub conscious feeling that given the circumstances - Merthyr's long journey, their poor form / low confidence and that we (should) have been on an absolute high, post St Neot's, somehow all turned into a negative rather than a positive?

Similarly having the courage to pick players on form rather than on past reputation also IMO falls into this category and Matty Castellan is the living proof of that?

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:28:37 AM »
I think the most frustrating thing is how close we keep getting to challenging for the play off spots in this league, then blow it on a below-par performance. If we had won on Tuesday and then Saturday, we would have been sitting 4th in the league at 5pm on Saturday evening!

After our first six games of the season, it looked very much like it would be the other end of the table we would be challenging. Overall Setch and the players deserve credit there for turning our season around.

The next seven games are absolutely critical for us. We play all of the current top five (three of them away from home) with a tasty derby against Cambridge City thrown in. I honestly believe we have a squad capable of going to Poole and Chippenham and nicking points. Hitchin and Dunstable are currently two of the division's form teams. Hitchin have also conceded only one goal in their last six games.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 10:43:17 AM »
Robbie, lets be careful what we wish  for. This squad is in development lets not look for things too quickly.  It needs to be built.  The foundations are now in place. yes as time goes on a few bricks will need to be changed.

Robbo, Let me ask you a straight forward question.  Do you think the Squad we have this season is Under or over acheiving ?

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 03:52:49 PM »
Mallard, if I can be so kind as to reply to your question, the squad quite often punch above their weight, but how many times have they under achieved? to many, but its the style we play, most home games just 1 up front, often bypass the midfield by just lumping it up to the lone striker, we play with very little width, when we do play someone like a Jack Friend, we fail to give him the ball. Its been said on here that we were brilliant on Saturday, lets get real, Chesham were rubbish and were there for a right hammering. I think in that game we under achieved.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 04:10:42 PM »
Robbie, lets be careful what we wish  for. This squad is in development lets not look for things too quickly.  It needs to be built.  The foundations are now in place. yes as time goes on a few bricks will need to be changed.

Robbo, Let me ask you a straight forward question.  Do you think the Squad we have this season is Under or over acheiving ?

My thoughts haven't changed from a few months ago. I think this squad hasn't yet but will mature, possibly next season or the season after that. I think we are a top half side - opinion based on what we know the squad is capable of. We've beaten some of the top sides this season, but dropped points against all of the current bottom three.

Below the current top three are fifteen or sixteen clubs that are all inconsistent, tripping over each other and not quite able to string a run of results together. Everyone will be saying it but if we could be THAT team that manages to string together a few wins then there is no reason why we can't join the party.

My only concern is that we may spend a season developing in this league then get moved again in the summer.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 04:33:29 PM »
In Saturday's interview Setch said if he gets a player or two in he may be OVER budget. As Mallard has said this squad needs time for the younger players to develop and we will get up and down results. Setch has set the target of top half of the table but now thinks if we can get a good run together we could make the play offs. I cannot see how that is not acceptable to most supporters, which would you prefer this seasons squad or last seasons it's a no brainer.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 04:44:37 PM »
Do others think that if ever there was time for the Owner to reward Setch for his efforts by investing a little bit more into the team for that Striker we all know we need, then this is the time. Just that little extra push to take us over the line?
What, such as Spalding's Josh Moreman?

Spalding claiming Lynn have put in a 7 day approach for him.
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

jesuslinnet

• View Profile

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016, 04:58:11 PM »
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/spaldingunited/teams/24803/player/josh-moreman-1503772

Midfielder according to his profile, but with 15 goals from 27 matches. The next George Thomson?