Author Topic: Stewards  (Read 2696 times)

THE DUKE

• View Profile
Stewards
« on: February 02, 2018, 05:21:05 PM »
The role of Stewards has been brought into focus with the incident of the flare and alleged swearing and bad behavior by some fans both home and away is it just me or are there less volunteer stewards on duty on match days the stairs to the main stand are now regularly unmanned and some of the old faces are missing it would be interesting to hear from present and past volunteers if this is true and why they have a thankless task in difficult times.

birch95

• Moderated
    • View Profile
Re: Stewards
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 06:18:23 PM »
The Duke- you clearly are entering the main stand at an unearthly time of the day as in my experience the stewards are constantly asking for a ticket requiring a pathetic extra pound to a mainly half full stand :dontknow:

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 06:32:28 PM »
But what's a pound these days?  :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:
"If a window was broken or a drain was blocked up, someone was certain to say that Grissles had come in the night and done it, and when the key of the store-shed was lost, the whole farm was convinced that Grissles had thrown it down the well. Curiously enough, they went on believing this even after

mike20382

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 06:36:56 PM »
The role of Stewards has been brought into focus with the incident of the flare and alleged swearing and bad behavior by some fans both home and away is it just me or are there less volunteer stewards on duty on match days the stairs to the main stand are now regularly unmanned and some of the old faces are missing it would be interesting to hear from present and past volunteers if this is true and why they have a thankless task in difficult times.
Plenty of stewards  some of the old ones back on Tuesday. They had a thankless task some of the Hereford fans were after trouble. Shame the flare was thrown other than that great night great win . The main stand was also policed by the police.

Westlandallstar

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 06:37:50 PM »
Hi, Im currently a volunteer steward, and i can definitely say  there isnt less of us and all stairs to the main stand are manned every game. When it comes to old faces missing it depends on which old faces you mean? The reason why we have a thankless task in difficult situations is purely because no matter how we respond situations, we still recieve greif and criticism from a select few fans. In respect of bad language it has to be constant flow of bad language not just a few here and there. We cant hear everything every fan says so as always if somebody has a complaint then tell one of us.  we all say never have we ever received a thank you from anybody for the job we all do. (With the exception of norman and backie). The amount  of abuse we receive and the amount of disrespect people throw our way is unreal. But we all still do the job and we will continue to do it. Whenever something happens its never the culprits fault its always our fault. Honestly i can say nobody on here would want to do this job.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 07:16:46 PM »
But what's a pound these days?  :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

But what's 3 these days? Too much for some to stomach, obviously.  :dontknow:  :bankrupt:  :countingmoney: :sad:
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 07:24:43 PM »
I've never understood why its only 1 extra to use the stand and have a seat.Seems a bit light to me.If its 12 entrance fee for terraces,maybe it should be nearer 15 if you want to be under cover and to sit.
Could be a good way of bringing in a few extra Bob for the Club and one for the powers that be to consider.
In life, its important to remember that those that can't, usually teach!

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 07:29:24 PM »
Plenty of stewards  some of the old ones back on Tuesday. They had a thankless task some of the Hereford fans were after trouble. Shame the flare was thrown other than that great night great win . The main stand was also policed by the police.

Why police the Main Stand? That is not where people are going to kick off - any trouble is usually going to take place lower down at pitch level. We old codgers who want to sit and watch are unlikely to have the energy to start trouble. To us Flares were big bottomed trousers!
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 07:32:59 PM »
I've never understood why its only 1 extra to use the stand and have a seat.Seems a bit light to me.If its 12 entrance fee for terraces,maybe it should be nearer 15 if you want to be under cover and to sit.
Could be a good way of bringing in a few extra Bob for the Club and one for the powers that be to consider.

You can get "under cover" in the opposite covered Stand (Shed) for 12 - So it's really only 1 to sit - not to get under cover!

Adam

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 07:45:35 PM »

You can get "under cover" in the opposite covered Stand (Shed) for 12 - So it's really only 1 to sit - not to get under cover!

I did say if you wanted to sit AND be undercover.You can only do that in the main Stand.
I don't think many would object to paying extra if it benefited the Club.After all,its only 3.What's that these days?Only the cost of a pint!
In life, its important to remember that those that can't, usually teach!

Westlandallstar

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 07:51:57 PM »
I can say that there was also police security and stewards all round the ground.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 07:58:26 PM »
At one point in time there used to be a certain number of seats in the small stand opposite the main stand were these removed to make sure tht anyone who wanted to sit down had to pay? I am fully aware that those seats disappeared long before the present incumbant took over. :dontknow: :bankrupt:
"If a window was broken or a drain was blocked up, someone was certain to say that Grissles had come in the night and done it, and when the key of the store-shed was lost, the whole farm was convinced that Grissles had thrown it down the well. Curiously enough, they went on believing this even after

Paddygray

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 08:14:30 PM »
I am fully aware that those seats disappeared long before the present incumbant took over. :dontknow: :bankrupt:
Mr Grissles, well done. You have kindly informed this forum that the chairman was not responsible for a scurrilous action. Is it that, per chance, you have realised the folly of your recent endeavours.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 08:40:10 PM »
At one point in time there used to be a certain number of seats in the small stand opposite the main stand were these removed to make sure tht anyone who wanted to sit down had to pay? I am fully aware that those seats disappeared long before the present incumbant took over. :dontknow: :bankrupt:

I remember them well.   :scarf:

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 08:48:35 PM »
I am fully aware that those seats disappeared long before the present incumbant took over. :dontknow: :bankrupt:
Mr Grissles, well done. You have kindly informed this forum that the chairman was not responsible for a scurrilous action. Is it that, per chance, you have realised the folly of your recent endeavours.

Just thought I would point it out before anyone else did. :cheers: