Author Topic: Leon Mettam  (Read 4755 times)

THE DUKE

• View Profile
Leon Mettam
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:42:55 PM »
Since he was presented at a Fans Forum what happened to them two seasons ago with a CV in non league football that had us all dribbling with excitement and a contract to match has he really shown us anything like his true potential and is it felt he should be retained after this season regardless of what happens about promotion.

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
Re: Leon Mettam
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 07:15:32 AM »
He’s been average at this level. Hasn’t been the marquee signing he was announced as, so given his reportedly high salary, I’d be quite fine with him going at the end of the year. At the same time, if he was kept on, I wouldn’t be outraged.

I do wonder if he might actually perform better at a higher level. When he’s been successful, it’s always been as a second striker, and with a better caliber of team mate he might shine. Or he might just be past it.

Plus, with our current front 3 of Gash, Hawkins and Parker/King, I don’t think he’d grt in the first team any more. They’re all asked to play too deep and take the ball forward for Mettam’s game. Expensive bench warmer for now.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
Personally I haven't seen any reason this season for him getting a starting place, quite simply the team has a better shape without him.  Gash looks twice the player when the 'focal point' of the attack with players coming from deeper to support him which fits with Parker, Hawkins and King all comfortable doing that and that also suits the slower build up / passing style of the side.  When Mettam plays he always seems to want to play on the last defender but is then often isolated from teammates with Gash having to work the channels more and the only danger comes from 'hopeful' early longer balls.

mike20382

• Michael Robinson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 05:50:44 PM »
Personally I haven't seen any reason this season for him getting a starting place, quite simply the team has a better shape without him.  Gash looks twice the player when the 'focal point' of the attack with players coming from deeper to support him which fits with Parker, Hawkins and King all comfortable doing that and that also suits the slower build up / passing style of the side.  When Mettam plays he always seems to want to play on the last defender but is then often isolated from teammates with Gash having to work the channels more and the only danger comes from 'hopeful' early longer balls.
Looks like he is backi in  versus Banbury not sure why would prefer Siddons

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 11:14:35 AM »
Looks like he is backi in  versus Banbury not sure why would prefer Siddons

Nothing against Mettam as a bloke: he's a hard-working team player but if Lynn revert to a Mettam/ Gash front two, they will not finish second and with Siddons, inexplicably, out at Spalding, I suspect that Culverhouse is planning to bring Mettam back. Culverhouse has been brilliant this season but his persistence in playing a mis-firing Mettam has cost Lynn points - the Kettering match being a case in point. I just hope I'm wrong and Lynn stick with Hawkins and Gash up front.

little John

• A LYNN BOI/ BOR/ BUH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 08:13:41 PM »
19 goals in 4 games without Mettam.
Let's see how many in 4 games with him.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 09:33:11 PM »
Was he not introduced as our 30 goals a season striker?  How many did he score last season?  :dontknow:
"If a window was broken or a drain was blocked up, someone was certain to say that Grissles had come in the night and done it, and when the key of the store-shed was lost, the whole farm was convinced that Grissles had thrown it down the well. Curiously enough, they went on believing this even after

little John

• A LYNN BOI/ BOR/ BUH.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 10:19:32 AM »
Good idea to give a bloke in his early thirties a 2 year contract eh?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 08:10:38 AM »
Desperate times call for desperate measures.   In fairness the guy came with a massive track record of scoring goals.   Now either he is past his Sell by date or neither Setch or IC can get the best out of him.   Does he ever look fit ?  With Age against him he needs to be 100% fit in every which way.

Mick

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 10:20:57 AM »
I suppose a clue is that Tamworth were prepared to let him go. During season 2013/14 with Worksop Town in the NPL he was the divisions top scorer with 45 in the league, 50in total. As I recall an ankle injury at Tamworth kept him out for much of the season and hasn't really shown true potential since. I suspect, though, that we don't play to his strengths. I remember he was lightening quick latching on to balls over the top and knock downs from strike partner at the time Tom Denton.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 11:20:27 AM »
I would suggest Metts appears to have lost a yard of pace since then.

Attleborough Doug

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 01:45:19 PM »
Agreed Mallard. Seems to be offside too often, falls over easily, can't score goals and forever moaning at the ref and teammates. Hopefully at the end of the season his contract won't be renewed and he can be moved on.

Dazzarugby65

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 02:26:48 PM »
 :banghead; why do we not try offloading Mettam to spalding and get Tom Siddons back. Tom was and will  again score goals , look at the difference in goals scored since he was replaced by Mettam. I know Mettam is on contract and well paid ,but he is not helping our promotion push at this moment in time, in fact I feel he is hindering it.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 05:54:45 PM »
Don’t think people will have to worry about his performances in a Lynn shirt anymore.

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 06:33:20 PM »
leon mettam
‏ @LeonMetts10

Be seeing you 🕵🏻

“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”