Author Topic: BBC red button news today.  (Read 2816 times)

little John

• A LYNN BOI/ BOR/ BUH.
    • View Profile
BBC red button news today.
« on: May 10, 2018, 09:16:09 AM »
Main item on the Norfolk link is about the club.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
Re: BBC red button news today.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:50:16 AM »
BBC News Item:
A football club owner says he needs to be given a longer lease on its home in order to make vital improvements.

King's Lynn Town's Stephen Cleeve warned the current 17-year council lease for The Walks was too short to make any investments worthwhile.

He said the pitch was plagued by bad drainage and caused rows between him and outgoing manager Ian Culverhouse.

King's Lynn and West Norfolk Borough Council said it was "very close to doing a deal".

Mr Cleeve said he "ideally" wanted a 125 to 150-year lease to enable him to invest more money into the club and bid for grants to replace the pitch.

Two miles of drainage will be installed during the summer break.

Investment 'crazy'
However, the club wants to put in a plastic pitch - which will cost between £480,000 and £1m - or a Premiership-style plastic and grass hybrid pitch.

"You can get a lot of that funded, but you've still got to put in £200,000-300,000," said Mr Cleeve.

"For me to invest significant sums... would be crazy.

"It's just a waste of money because you could be turfed out at the end of it."

An initial lease offered by the council in January was retracted, but it has since said it wanted to seal a deal as soon as possible.

Alistair Beales, cabinet member for corporate projects and assets, said Mr Cleeve's argument for an "unexpired lease of 125 years or more is recognised and... I think we will reach a satisfactory conclusion".

He added that conditions attached to the car park and access to the park at The Walks still had to be ironed out, but "both the council and the club have to make a deal for the longer term and the interests do align".
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 10:24:47 AM »
Well, you've got to be impressed with the chairman's ambition for the club. Perhaps we should get behind him instead of slagging him off at every opportunity.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 10:55:22 AM »
Great idea Stan, why donít you start it off with one of ya infamous bucket collections ?

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 10:58:06 AM »
Great idea Stan, why donít you start it off with one of ya infamous bucket collections ?

Touched a nerve have I Mallard?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 11:05:27 AM »
Was it an unintentional pun to mention being turfed out after laying the pitch?  :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

Yes Stan get behind the chairman, how much did your bucket collection raise?  :dontknow:
What really falls me is that people are so clever hiding behind a name and continually calling people out for their opinions! I like real people who can discuss things face to face, please make it a prerequisite that if you join the forum your actual name is visible. Cue posters leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 11:20:09 AM »
Was it an unintentional pun to mention being turfed out after laying the pitch?  :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

Yes Stan get behind the chairman, how much did your bucket collection raise?  :dontknow:

Instead of trying to make "jokes" at my expense, why don't you consider what I have said: do you believe that the chairman's desired ground improvements show that he is ambitious for the club and that this is a positive thing that fans should both applaud and support?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 11:37:54 AM »

Instead of trying to make "jokes" at my expense, why don't you consider what I have said: do you believe that the chairman's desired ground improvements show that he is ambitious for the club and that this is a positive thing that fans should both applaud and support?

So two years on and no improvement in the pitch quality or amenities, seeing is believing!  :banghead; :banghead;
What really falls me is that people are so clever hiding behind a name and continually calling people out for their opinions! I like real people who can discuss things face to face, please make it a prerequisite that if you join the forum your actual name is visible. Cue posters leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 11:47:21 AM »

So two years on and no improvement in the pitch quality or amenities, seeing is believing!  :banghead; :banghead;

Fair enough Gris - I suppose actions do speak louder than words. The chairman might argue that he hasn't felt able to commit too much expenditure on a ground with only a 17 year lease.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 11:54:34 AM »

Fair enough Gris - I suppose actions do speak louder than words. The chairman might argue that he hasn't felt able to commit too much expenditure on a ground with only a 17 year lease.

That would be the same as renting a council house and not decorating because you have no long term contracts?

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »
I don't think decorating is a fair or equivalent analogy for a new pitch; it's far more structural, long term and expensive than a lick of paint but I take your point and I do agree that we should reserve judgement until some action has taken place.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 01:09:27 PM »
Stan no harm in having a bit of fun at your expense. Didnít realise till now what a sensitive soul you
are.

So Stephen spends 200k to gain a 500k asset. Thatís only around 12.5k a year outlay. Not bad when you consider itís a peppercorn rent. A lot less per annum than 12.5k if he were to trigger the 15 year extension to the lease. Which makes 32 years.

So whereís the problem Stan ?

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 04:12:27 PM »
Stan no harm in having a bit of fun at your expense. Didnít realise till now what a sensitive soul you
are.

So Stephen spends 200k to gain a 500k asset. Thatís only around 12.5k a year outlay. Not bad when you consider itís a peppercorn rent. A lot less per annum than 12.5k if he were to trigger the 15 year extension to the lease. Which makes 32 years.

If you were Cleeve's position Mallard, what would you do?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 04:17:03 PM »
are.

If you were Cleeve's position Mallard, what would you do?

Listen to the fans!

gs50

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 04:40:38 PM »
If I was the chairman and had thousands of pound to Chuck away I would be looking to find land to build a new stadium with capacity for 2 0r 3 pitches to accommodate all teams .You will be chucking away good money to develop the Walks it would only ever be an asset for the Council.