Author Topic: Play offs.  (Read 1286 times)

jackdaw

• View Profile
Play offs.
« on: May 27, 2018, 08:31:26 AM »
We were all disappointed at Lynn not being promoted but what about Dartford, national League South.

Havant & Waterlooville champions on goal difference 40/37

Dartford second 86 points same as H & W.

Braintree  6th. 69 points ,  17 points behind Dartford but promoted through Play offs.

Must have been really hard to take.   :scarf:

little John

• A LYNN BOI/ BOR/ BUH.
    • View Profile
Re: Play offs.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 09:05:59 AM »
Bad that, a joke really.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 09:08:29 AM »
Really disappointing, but then again theme the rules and everyone knows it’s the lottery of the play-offs that decide who goes up.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 09:33:06 PM »
Play Offs are a lottery and I cannot see the reasoning behind them.

If there are 2 or 3 promotion places the the top teams should automatically go up. The only problem would be a team refusing promotion then the next highest placed team goes up.

Relegation places are not decided by Play Offs, so why promotions. Only feasible reason is money spinning.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2018, 12:08:06 AM »
Play Offs are a lottery and I cannot see the reasoning behind them.

If there are 2 or 3 promotion places the the top teams should automatically go up. The only problem would be a team refusing promotion then the next highest placed team goes up.

Relegation places are not decided by Play Offs, so why promotions. Only feasible reason is money spinning.

I find myself agreeing with you there Mike. :cheers:
"If a window was broken or a drain was blocked up, someone was certain to say that Grissles had come in the night and done it, and when the key of the store-shed was lost, the whole farm was convinced that Grissles had thrown it down the well. Curiously enough, they went on believing this even after

Squire of Langham

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2018, 10:10:38 AM »
Havant & Waterlooville scored a last minute winner too to send them up.

Blue Moon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2018, 10:36:33 AM »
I have mixed feelings on the subject of play offs, for sure they add further excitement to the end of season and the clubs involved get the chance of extra income which would give them a financial boost for moving to a higher level, but on the other hand as in our case we battled hard all season and proved to be better than all teams who finished below us but didn't go up.
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 11:12:13 AM »
If there have to be play-offs, and I think they do add something for mid-table clubs to aim for come late January, then I think there should be a rule which says a club should be given a walkover if, in the play-offs, it is playing a club that finished with, say,  10 less
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

Dilligaf

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 02:41:00 PM »
Keep it as it is, just win your games when you need to. Wouldn't even be a discussion point if we'd have won