Author Topic: Mick Wright  (Read 11200 times)

The Fenman

Mick Wright
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:09:49 PM »
Was celebrated tonight at the KL.FM Sports Awards.

He was awarded a lifetime achievement award and a great tribute was played on a giant screen in front of hundreds.

Amazing.  Shows the character of the man.....   he refused to be wheeled onto the stage to collect the award.... he walked with the aid of a stick.

rod

• View Profile
Re: Mick Wright
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 10:09:48 AM »
I know I could be accused of bias by those who are not supporters of the Linnets but in so many ways Mick was a very special footballer and is a very special person.............A true legend!

somerset linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 10:54:50 AM »
Totally agree Rod, a true legend as you say. To us who saw him play in his prime for the linnets it was a privilege. He thoroughly
deserves this award. :welcome:

Backie9

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 11:44:32 AM »
here is a link of Mick from last nights awards

http://www.klfm967.co.uk/blogs/simonrowe/

To see his video and to see him go up on the stage was very moving, I don't mind admitting bought a tear to my eye
Was fabulous gentleman and was an honour to meet him last night, the word LEGEND isn't really enough for him.
I am off with Keith Rudd today for a meeting with the Council leader to hopefully make a bit of progress with the Freedom of the borough...... fingers crossed ! 

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2016, 12:09:05 PM »
Listening to that brought back so many memories. Above all else Mick played for the love of the game.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016, 02:25:28 PM »
He should have an automatic pass into the Hall of Fame too in my opinion. The club's own small way of giving something back to a man that gave so many years of his life to the club.

I doubt that we will ever see his appearance record passed. Ever.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 02:42:52 PM »
I'll second that.................Make an exception for an exceptional individual. No vote required!

Badger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016, 03:05:56 PM »
I agree wholeheartedly that Mick should go into the Hall of Fame automatically without having to vote him in.

I would like to remind people that last year I suggested on this Forum and to Buster that a part of the ground should be named after him, unfortunately it fell on deaf ears. I think now would be a great time to reconsider and hope the people in charge of the Club might approve.

Regards. Badger. :oldman"     

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 05:51:41 PM »
What a humble gentleman he is. I know he had a spell as player/Manager (I think he played) of Watton Utd in the Eastern Counties League but did he ever hold the reins at The Walks ?

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 06:53:46 PM »

The Fenman

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 06:55:30 PM »
As a side issue to this, and i think VERY  relevant after watching todays local news about our Eastern European cousins in this area........

When  Mick started to walk onto the stage one of our Fury players stood and started applauding.  On that signal the whole Fury contingent, 10 or 11 from Eastern Europe, as well as our yoinger members, all rose to give the man a standing ovation.

In a packed hall of several hundred we / they were the only ones standing and applauding.   No locals.... no other local sporting greats, no dignitaries... just 'my' rag tag bunch of sport loving, field and factory workers, standing in appreciation of someone they obviously thought deserved it.

A question......  Why is it that local people didn't stand and applaud?  Or is just not the done thing.....?   

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 08:09:11 PM »
As a side issue to this, and i think VERY  relevant after watching todays local news about our Eastern European cousins in this area........

When  Mick started to walk onto the stage one of our Fury players stood and started applauding.  On that signal the whole Fury contingent, 10 or 11 from Eastern Europe, as well as our yoinger members, all rose to give the man a standing ovation.

In a packed hall of several hundred we / they were the only ones standing and applauding.   No locals.... no other local sporting greats, no dignitaries... just 'my' rag tag bunch of sport loving, field and factory workers, standing in appreciation of someone they obviously thought deserved it.

A question......  Why is it that local people didn't stand and applaud?  Or is just not the done thing.....?

"Mick Wright was award "The Lifetime Achievement Award" and received not one, not two but three standing ovations as he collected his trophy"

i suppose they had solar shed shirts on.  :farmer:

The Fenman

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 09:58:38 PM »
Nope. Not at all.   It just strikes me that people are very quick to moan and criticise but find it difficult to celebrate success or achievement.  Its been mentioned on here many times... After a win the message board is very quiet but after a loss or poor performance the posts come in very fast....

I can't get my head around it at all.

The Fenman

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 10:01:01 PM »

"Mick Wright was award "The Lifetime Achievement Award" and received not one, not two but three standing ovations as he collected his trophy"

i suppose they had solar shed shirts on.  :farmer:

Just read the blog.  I think our Simon is a little more enthusiastic in his writing than the actuality....

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 04:11:32 AM »
So let me see if I understand this Fenman. Is the future Solar Panels or applauding, Basketball Playing Eastern Europeans ?