Author Topic: Chippenham 4 Linnets 1  (Read 6536 times)

robbo84

• View Profile
Chippenham 4 Linnets 1
« on: January 30, 2016, 09:53:46 PM »
Result was harsh on us I felt. We did play some good stuff at times. In the first half we were fairly solid defensively and pushed Chippenham into nothing more than hopeful punts up field. It was one of these up and unders that put Sandell through on goal to give them the lead in the 37th minute.

After going 2-0 down we gave it a real go and were unlucky not to get back in the game. Despite Stevo's strike going in we missed a few other chances, the most clear cut being Jacek somehow firing over from about two yards out at the back post with the keeper stranded.

Going into the last ten minutes I still fancied us to nick a point, but that was undone when Sandell scored an absolute scorcher out of nothing from about 30 yards out. It was a real moment of class and all but finished us off for the afternoon.

Chippenham put added gloss on the scoreline just a couple of minutes later when we failed to pick up a sub who had just come on at the near post who nodded home a corner.

Same story, we need to be taking our chances. We were still well in it at 2-1.

Paddygray

• View Profile
Re: Chippenham 4 Linnets 1
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2016, 07:07:41 AM »
Good match report, its good to hear that we were in the game and didn't get spanked.

gs

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2016, 09:07:28 AM »
Makes better reading than front page report .

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2016, 09:27:50 AM »
Different from the Tweets and FB comments which said we were poor all over the park and that at least two of the goals were the result of poor defending/keeper error.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »
Fair to say a few individuals were poor on the day, consequences of which meant others seemed to be overworked.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2016, 12:12:23 PM »
Unfortunately players/teams have good days and bad days, some on this forum seem to not be able to accept that and everyone has to play brilliantly every game. We were playing currently the second best team in the league and were in the game for most of it particularly at 2-1. Apparently Pedro dropped the ball for their second but having been outstanding for most of the season, particularly recently when he has helped the team gain points with some magnificent saves. In many people's opinions he is one of the best keepers at this level, see the Poole managers comments, but being human he still makes the odd mistake.
Let's look forward to the next game when I am sure the players will be doing their very best to win. COYL

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 12:39:12 PM »
What the result and recent performances suggest to me is that we are not there (unsurprisingly) yet in being realistic title contenders but that we have the ability in the squad to compete for a play off place...........If so no one will I think complain about that?

As has been said many times before that elusive 20+ goal striker would likely make the difference but not at £450+ a week!!

I look forward as always to hearing or reading Setch's post match report.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2016, 01:08:52 PM »
Street was on the floor injured for a good 30-40 seconds before the ball went in for the second. We had opportunities to clear the ball but couldn't get it away. In hindsight even putting it out for a corner would have allowed play to stop so he could be treated.

rod

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2016, 01:32:54 PM »
Stating the obvious goalkeeper errors are always accentuated and in my book Pedro is one of the best in the league and has undoubtedly gained us many more points than he has lost us.

Paddygray

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 07:42:36 AM »
I have just read a very positive EDP match report. It mentioned, amongst others, Lee Smith who I remember last week being vocal and geeing up the lads just before popping up with his goal. Each individual player brings something different to the team but at this moment Lynn seem to really be playing as a strong unit.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 08:37:11 AM »
From the EDP

The scoreline belied a slick battling performance by the Linnets who had threatened to deny the Wiltshire side claiming top spot after a stirring second-half performance.

A 1-0 half-time lead soon became a controversial two before the hour mark, but after Lee Stevenson had halved the deficit with just over a quarter of an hour to go the Linnets threatened an equaliser until a spectacular Andy Sandell goal eight minutes from time ended their resistance.

Kicking down the slope with the wind at their back, Lynn dominated the midfield battle, with Lee Smith, especially, nullifying the Chippenham threat as the Linnets were first to the ball and keen in the tackle.

The opener came out of the blue when Sandell let fly from 25 five yards and his low shot deceived keeper Alex Street as it went under his legs.

Lynn, despite facing the elements and the slope, were on the front foot from the off after the interval, with Kauppinen forced to punch away a Michael Clunan free-kick.

The turning point came on 55 minutes when Chippenham were awarded a free-kick near the half way line and, under pressure from Griffin, Street dropped the ball. As the keeper lay on the ground Sandell’s shot was blocked only for Griffin to fire into the unguarded net. Referee Mark Russell was surrounded by furious Lynn players, to no avail.

The perceived injustice appeared to galvanise Lynn more than the goal did the home side and Clunan’s cross from the right was left by keeper Kauppinen and Mark Preece, but the surprised Stevenson could only scoop his effort over from close range.

Sub David Bridges soon made his presence count and on 74 minutes the pressure told when the defence failed to clear a cross from the right and Stevenson drove a shot across Kauppinen and into the far corner.

With Lynn still looking the more likely to score, Chippenham made the game safe against the run of play eight minutes when Sandell scored from long range and to rub salt into the wound sub Oli Taylor headed home a cross from the right three minutes from time.

Lynn will play worse than this and win the game, but on the day it was no disgrace to lose against the new league leaders.

As I said in my previous post there are too many people who seem to jump on every negative possible. Unlike many 4-1 defeats I think the team will draw strength from the performance and be well up for the next game.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 10:22:50 AM »
How many times this season have we been able to change games by adding the pace of Edge and Hilliard late on? Unfortunately injuries to both on Saturday (Dylan missed out completely and Toby was on the bench but unused) meant we lost that option - could have made a big difference for the final fifteen minutes.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 11:44:17 AM »
In the same way we shouldn't get carried away by a decent win the same goes for a defeat.   Remember this squad is still very much work in progress, and if most people are being honest the team is ahead of where they think it should be.   Top 8 finish is where this team could end up this season, and that to me will be a success.  Next season is a different matter.  Then we should see the side very much up there challenging for a top 5. 

The Squad Setch has put together this season is a million miles away from the rag bag side he assembled and ended up with  toward the end of  last season.  It would seem valuable lessons have been learnt from this, and  total change in the  type of player that now wears the Kings Lynn Shirt. 

Any more news on any players coming in, or are we going to see the season out with what we have.  Would be nice to add a body of 2 in before the end of the season, more in readiness for next season.

linnet1968

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 02:56:20 PM »

The Fenman

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 09:24:23 PM »
Loving the pics of the 856 
Proper football.....