Author Topic: The Bar  (Read 857 times)

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
The Bar
« on: July 10, 2018, 03:33:00 PM »
It seems each thread gets hijacked into the lack of activity around the Blue & Gold
So here is a thread to discuss what could be done.

For me on match day the biggest issue is the position of the Blue & Gold in relation to the turnstile.
Back in the day folk would come through the turnstile straight into the bar. Hence it was vibrant pre and post match.
Now all the entrances and most exit are the other end of the ground. So footfall doesnt reach the B&G, naturaly. The cafe bar is still relativley busy. This splits the customers. So the B&G, which is bigger seems quiet.

Dont even think about opening the B&G as a pub venue.
 Pubs and clubs are dieing, unless have prime location or something unique to offer.

I think there maybe some licence restriction as to events at the B&G. However if this could be overcome, could be a good venue for local bands to play. Would need to build a following

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
Re: The Bar
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2018, 03:40:35 PM »
It seems each thread gets hijacked into the lack of activity around the Blue & Gold

For me on match day the biggest issue is the position of the Blue & Gold in relation to the turnstile.
Back in the day folk would come through the turnstile straight into the bar. Hence it was vibrant pre and post match.
Now all the entrances and most exit are the other end of the ground. So footfall doesnt reach the B&G, naturaly. The cafe bar is still relativley busy. This splits the customers. So the B&G, which is bigger seems quiet.

Pubs and clubs are dieing, unless have prime location or something unique to offer.

I think there maybe some licence restriction as to events at the B&G. However if this could be overcome, could be a good venue for local bands to play. Would need to build a following

All you need is one steward/security guard on the bar door checking tickets and voila people straight in the bar,if there was a restriction on events at the club then things like the boxing would not happen? Also it would make it unavailable for weddings etc,the reason it would attract nobody as a club is there is nothing to attract people,pool table ,dart board etc,nobody has tried to make any use of the bar,there was a brief rumour that it was going to be used as a social club,but nothing ever done! :dontknow:
What really falls me is that people are so clever hiding behind a name and continually calling people out for their opinions! I like real people who can discuss things face to face, please make it a prerequisite that if you join the forum your actual name is visible. Cue posters leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

SamsDad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 07:44:31 AM »

I agree with most of your comments above, for me the Blue and Gold looks tired, cheap and nasty with the current decorations.

Why is the paint work silver and not blue/gold?! Also, without the big projector as of years before showing sky sports news scores etc it just feels empty.

For me.. give the staff some uniform, make them look the part, ensure its fully stocked (the amount of times I have been told to go to the other bar to get a bottle of beer is silly!), give the place a paint and put the football back where it used to be on a projector/big screen.

The place does need atmosphere but it also needs to be an attractive place to drink, years ago it would be busy before the game, half time and most of the time after the game!

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 11:32:14 AM »
Agreed
Also direction of footfall needs to be sorted match days to get people in there. Create demand, create atmosphere, create need to stock the bar, create the need to re-decorate.
Real chicken and Egg situation.

The bar can be opened as anything away from match days, however there has to be a market for it.

I drink in one of the most respected social clubs in West Norfolk. It has great facilities, snooker, pool, big screens, crib teams, summer events and top weekly entertainment. Always busy at weekends. Has 1000+ members. Currently that club is losing circa 4k per annum.

Is it worth the gamble?