Author Topic: 4 team Challenge Cup  (Read 6205 times)

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
Re: 4 team Challenge Cup
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2018, 09:50:40 PM »
The thing is not many teams charge to watch under 18 matches,is this why it was billed as under 23s? :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2018, 09:59:08 PM »
From Clubs website today:

Feast of football with an international flavour at The Walks
July 18, 2018

The Linnets continue their pre season preparations this weekend when The Walks hosts three days of football with an international flavour as the Pineapple Sports-sponsored King’s Lynn Town Challenge Cup takes place.
Friday evening sees Scottish giants Rangers Under-23s take on their counterparts from Polish side Legia Warsaw. The game has a 7.45pm start time.
Saturday afternoon action features the Linnets as they face Norfolk rivals Norwich City Under-23s in a Norfolk derby (3pm).
Sunday sees the final day of the competition as the two losing teams from the first two games meet at 2pm in a third-place play-off.
Three hours later, at 5pm, both winning sides from the Friday and Saturday action will meet to determine the champions of the weekend.
Speaking ahead of the weekend, Linnets chairman Stephen Cleeve thanked Pineapple Sports Management, from Hull, for their sponsorship of the tournament.
Cleeve said: "I'm very pleased with the sponsorship arrangement and thank the company for their support of the club.
"We have an exciting weekend of football ahead of us and it’s something a little different. I hope our own supporters will come out and embrace, along with the travelling fans of our guests over the three days.
"Rangers and Legia Warsaw, along with Norwich City, are well known for producing young stars of the future and who knows we may be seeing a future international World Cup winner at The Walks.
"With the possibility of Rangers manager Stephen Gerrard and his assistant Gary McAllister taking in the action, a memorable weekend of football awaits us."
King's Lynn Town boss Simon Clark should have all of his squad available for selection apart from Craig Parker (holiday).
Full ticket details appear on this website but there will be match day admission, as normal, on all three days.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2018, 10:16:34 PM »
Paul, please no need to apologise for having a glass half full attitude.  Just sometime people behind the scenes need to check the facts before trying to get the PR machine into action. It makes us look very amateurish.  I know people like Mark prides himself on his professional approach.  At the very least they should come out and correct the situation to save people turning up expecting to see the 2nd strings of 3 pro clubs when 3 teams of young lads will in fact be the order of the day.

Surely it’s common courtesy to correct mistakes made.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2018, 10:24:38 PM »
I understand what you’re saying. However looking on Rangers website they don’t have a reserve team listed they only have first team & development/academy side, seems like several of those who are potentially in their squad tomorrow have represented the first team on occasions and will make up their newly formed reserves side.

I tried looking on the Legia website but have enough problems with English let alone Polish!!

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2018, 12:13:02 AM »
Do you think it was advertised as under 23s because the only people that normally watch under 18s are the proud parents? :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Backie9

• View Profile

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2018, 09:49:52 AM »
I guess u18's are indeed U 23's but in real terms its Lynn first team and 3 pro clubs Youth teams.  So why was it not advertised as such.  Somewhat mis-leading. 

Rangers are bringing a youth team as they don't have  u23's  Norwich are bringing their U18's. Warsaw well I can only assume they will bring a squad on the same level as the two above.

At the end of the day its a few games of footie where nothing actually rests on the results as its all about getting people up to speed for the season ahead.

Just a shame it had to be billed as something it really isn't. 

Like buying a 2nd hand car really. As they sell you what it does not what it doesn't.  Had a Volvo like that once!   :)

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2018, 10:40:45 AM »
At the end of the day, it's a good tournament and will be a good test for Lynn no matter which players turn up.

Personally, I'm not overly bothered and in all honesty was only expecting academy sides with the possibility of fringe first team squad members appearing. I'm happy with that and am looking forward to it.

Playing 2 games in 2 days against full time sides will help Lynn; both fitness wise and footballing wise.

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2018, 11:16:39 AM »
Thursday 19th  – Sunday 22nd July
Kings Lynn Tournament (U23 tournament with Kings Lynn first team)
Friday 20th July – Reserves v Legia Warsaw, 7.30pm
Sunday 22nd July – TBC (dependent on first result)
Ticket information for Kings Lynn can be found HERE

From Rangers website
Reserve/Acadamey section

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2018, 11:17:14 AM »
That is very true. It is just a friendly game of football.  I would just suggest that many fans expectations were for stronger opposition to be on view, a few star names etc to try and pick out.

It is interesting to say you foresaw it was only going to be Youth teams rocking up despite all the hype of it being U23 strength teams.  Most fans would just trust the club to deliver what it says on the tin.

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2018, 11:47:59 AM »
Rangers are sending their second string as their website reads.
Rangers have too many players for their first team squad. Will be a good number of ex-first teamers in this squad I am sure. For fitness and to put in shop window.
Warsaw. i  have no idea as no mention on their site of the tournament.
Norwich have decided that they will be represented by U18 as their site reads.

Still all good tests.

I wonder how many of the local Eastern Europeans will turn out to see Warsaw. They are the biggest team in poland.
Rangers have supporters clubs in Derham and Ipswich.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2018, 12:19:54 PM »
That is very true. It is just a friendly game of football.  I would just suggest that many fans expectations were for stronger opposition to be on view, a few star names etc to try and pick out.

It is interesting to say you foresaw it was only going to be Youth teams rocking up despite all the hype of it being U23 strength teams.  Most fans would just trust the club to deliver what it says on the tin.

I'm only going on the fact the vast majority of u23 teams use academy and fringe first team squad members who need games, and those that aren't quite good enough for first team action - like the old reserve teams. I didn't say I foresaw it....I said it was personal opinion. I have no idea what players are being sent down from each team (aside from Norwich now it's been mentioned on this thread).

LinnetsSoccer

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2018, 02:06:38 PM »
Honestly, the negativity on this forum is disgraceful at times. Who cares if it's U23 or U18? I doubt the posters actually care at all, just use it as an excuse to moan about something. Perhaps the original plan was for it to be U23, and the clubs changed that? Perhaps KLFC misinterpreted the squads the other teams were bringing. WHO CARES?

If Lynn won the Europa League there would be moaning that it wasn't the Champions League.

How can any club progress if it is held back by a constant stream of often-baseless negativity. I wonder if these posters enjoy being negative?

For heavens sake, get behind the club and stop picking on the slightest, minutest little detail in everything the club does.

Consider it a "youth team" if that makes you feel better.

Argh.  :swear:

SamsDad

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2018, 02:11:49 PM »
Agree with you LinnetsSoccer.

I have followed Lynn over 20 years and the club has seen its fair amount of turmoil and disapointment.

Now I agree that Cleeve may not be the people person chairman or perhaps the most suited footballing knowledge wise but this event shows some thought.

Years ago pre season would be against Norwich, Leyton Orient and the likes but events like this show real promise.

Hopefully Cleeve can prove doubters wrong and perhaps provide some longevity (apologies if spelling incorrect) which this club craves. There are lots of little things the club could change and perhaps lack but the big things seem to be clicking.

Culverhouse is a huge act to follow on the pitch and this manager seems (yes seems) to be doing the right thing.

Lets get behind the boys, the club and pray that we dont go through the financial and on the pitch problems we have faced over the years.

Kings Lynn was and is a sleeping giant!!

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2018, 02:12:54 PM »
Hear hear, very well put  :comeon: :comeon:
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't