Author Topic: Clunan  (Read 1425 times)

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
Clunan
« on: July 24, 2018, 11:16:21 AM »
We missed Michael in the play off final.
Think he has looked really good in pre-season.
The engine!

Thoughts

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Clunan
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 11:50:27 AM »
Agree with that LU.... Think is an automatic on the team sheet.  My feelings, on what little I have seen so far would be along the lines of

Street
Thomas
Blake-Tracy
Fryatt
McAuley
Jarvis
Clunan
Richards
Parker
Limb
Gash

Bench ( Will we go with 5 ?)

Pearson
Beevers
Sam G
Hilliard
Castallen

Leaves a few players out of the squad.  I guess we have to factor in costs of players you don't make the squad, and whether it serves the Club best to stick them in Reserves or get them out on loan

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 11:53:39 AM »
Doubt you'll see many games with Sam G named as a sub (or starting)!

Mallard, notice you've left out Hawkins & Stewart as well?

I'd go;

Street
Thomas
Fryatt
McAuley
Blake-Tracy
Clunan
Jarvis
Richards
Hawkins
Gash
Limb

Subs:
Parker
Hilliard
Stewart
Beevers
Frary

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 12:50:56 PM »
Not that different on the starting 11 Paul.  You may well be right on Sam G.  I guess was just reading between the lines.  Sam G will be at the games in his role as Assist Manager.  He was on the bench Saturday, and 5 subs cost money, so figure it would make sense if he was named as  he would be there.

Stewart I didn't include as I don't think he will get a starting place.  He was playing at step 4 last season and maybe a drop into the Reserves at step 6 is not what a lad of his age needs.  So maybe a loan arrangement would work best. 

As for Hawkins, I get the feeling we will go quite narrow.  Not sure that he will fit that well in the system.  Again the Reserves maybe 2 bigger drop down,  so could see him going out on loan as well.

I do like to see a team go with a 2nd keeper.  Matty C could cover the Full backs.  beevers could cover the centre backs and can play in the middle of the park.  That leaves Hilliard as the back up striker.

All about 2nd guessing and opinions.  Just my humble thoughts.

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 01:47:16 PM »
Street
Thomas
Fryatt
McCauley
Blake-Tracey
Jarvis
Clunan
Parker
Hawkins
Gash
Limb

Hilliard
Stuart
Richards
Frary
Beevers

Think we will see a lot of rotation in midfield as season goes on

Beevers has come on as a utility defender/midfielder

See no need for Gaughran apart from maybe deep into the season if we have injuries

Will be interesting if we do take on Higgs and another striker on who would miss out then

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2018, 02:11:14 PM »
Back on the original point of Clunan, I have to say I find him infuriating!!

He works hard, I'll give him that, but for me he tries the "hollywood" pass too often, when there is a more simple option available.

Setch and Culverhouse obviously knew better than I do, but I think if we are trying to retain the ball, then the forty yard glory balls which very often don't reach their target should be cut down a bit more.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2018, 02:15:39 PM »
Walk, I think we have to accept where we are in the swing of things, in terms of playing ability.  All Players we have will for sure have their bad points as well as the good. Clunan brings a lot to the party.  Look at the goals the boy gets for one.  For me the one thing that gets me with the lad is the amount of stupid bookings he gets.  Still think he is one of the first on the team sheet.

What do people think about the young lad McQuaid, worth a look with the first team this season or another season with the Reserves ?   

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2018, 10:19:21 AM »
Walk, I think we have to accept where we are in the swing of things, in terms of playing ability.  All Players we have will for sure have their bad points as well as the good. Clunan brings a lot to the party.  Look at the goals the boy gets for one.  For me the one thing that gets me with the lad is the amount of stupid bookings he gets.  Still think he is one of the first on the team sheet.

What do people think about the young lad McQuaid, worth a look with the first team this season or another season with the Reserves ?

Michael Clunan has a certain amount of magic in his play as he has very good spatial awareness. Agreed Mallard, he does get stupid bookings for being too yappy. I don't mind the passionate appeals but it's the little aside's and muttered back-chat that he needs to control.

Once had to b*****k a young lad in the RAF. He went away muttering - called him back and told him that I knew he was not H-A-P-P-Y but mutter somewhere I can't hear you.

No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2018, 02:26:43 PM »
Totally agree about the silly bookings Clunan gets for dissent. I know he's captain but he needs to learn when to keep quiet.

Also, wish he would let others take set pieces at times - how many times have his corners not beat the first defender?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2018, 02:44:34 PM »
Corners not beating the first is down to the coaching staff who I am sure determinevwho takes corners from the left and who takes them from the right.  All set pieces will have been worked out on the training ground. Which Iím sure will include hitting the near post and the 2nd 6 yard box. Sometimes the taker of the corners would be expecting movement from players to the near post and when that fails to happen it makes it look like itís down to the taker when the ball is cleared by the first defender.  I am sure the routines will all be in place by the first game

Blue Moon

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2018, 02:52:36 PM »
From what I've seen on KLTTV we seem to be favouring as Hoddle put it The Love Train from corners
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2018, 03:00:30 PM »
Have to feel for the refs with ĎThe Love Trainí as they are like something from WWF, with defending team trying to block off.  Donít think itís something new seem to remember ( was it Watford) who all grouped together in the opposition box and then all broke away to there designated areas.

Anyone remember this ? And was it Watford ?