Author Topic: The George and the Owner  (Read 4907 times)

Wingwizzard

• View Profile
The George and the Owner
« on: August 03, 2018, 03:32:00 PM »
I See the chairman has put the George up for sale for 895 K on the EDP website
To concentrate on the football club.

Well done to him 

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: The George and the Owner
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 07:22:41 PM »
The full article makes very interesting reading.  The past,  the present and the future. Lots more said in the actual mag.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2018, 08:54:37 AM »
Stephen Cleeve, it appears, has committed himself to King's Lynn Town FC. He may not be everyone's "Cup of Tea" but he is showing some passion and commitment to our Club - we the fans need to get behind him and jump onto the bandwagon. It may be a bumpy ride but higher level football is in sight. Money can't but everything - but it can help.

Here's hoping Stephen's vision becomes reality and there are no crashes along the way.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

wack

• Steve Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2018, 09:17:56 AM »
Great post Mike

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2018, 10:51:13 AM »
Some find it easier to ridicule mistakes and oversights, than say well done to all the good stuff and commitment.
Unfortunately.

Stronger together!!

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2018, 02:14:01 PM »
Some find it easier to ridicule mistakes and oversights, than say well done to all the good stuff and commitment.
Unfortunately.

Stronger together!!

So someone makes a positive post and you do your best to illicit a negative response, in Mr Cleeve's words, buffoon!  :dontknow:
What really falls me is that people are so clever hiding behind a name and continually calling people out for their opinions! I like real people who can discuss things face to face, please make it a prerequisite that if you join the forum your actual name is visible. Cue posters leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2018, 09:45:02 AM »
Great to at last have a person at the helm who can see the potential and try to go for it.  Good luck to him, and I obviously hope he succeeds.  He appears to be taking a risk with his own lifestyle, so fingers crossed for him.  We can help by regularly swelling the gate to speed the process....with a view to making it twice the club it has ever been.......

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2018, 08:41:21 AM »
Stephen Cleeve has certainly put it out there.  He is going to sell his business ( on the market for in excess of 895K) to help fund his ambition to make Lynn a Football league Club.   Whether or not this is the right model for football clubs is open to debate.  As In do we as fans just enjoy the ride and see where it takes us, or do we worry about what might be around the corner, when either it fails or if and when the cash runs out.

I seem to recall when he bought the Club (for 250k)  he was looking to bring outside investment into the Club is that idea now kicked into the long grass or is he waiting for the right people with the right offer to come along ?

I wish the guy well in his quest to put this Club at a level it has never been before.  The one little nagging doubt is what he meant in the article ( The Pink Un)  about if Simon Clark fails to gain promotion this season he would need to re-asses and see what he does next.

Gonna be an interesting season, and it all starts Saturday.  Lets get as many there as we can and get close to the 1000 per week ( average) that Stephen needs.

wack

• Steve Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2018, 09:33:17 AM »
Not been able to see the full article any chance you can post a link thanks

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2018, 09:40:38 AM »
Wack,

Never saw it online. Invested 3.99 and bought the hardcopy.  Mainly about Norwich city but a decent bit on Lynn ( and of cos Lowestoft).  Interesting comments from Stephen Cleeve on each of the 3 managers who served under him. Including a 'sweary' meeting with Setch when he relieved him of his duties.  Also comments about IC not being the easiest to deal with.   

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2018, 12:01:03 PM »
Wack,

Never saw it online. Invested 3.99 and bought the hardcopy.  Mainly about Norwich city but a decent bit on Lynn ( and of cos Lowestoft).  Interesting comments from Stephen Cleeve on each of the 3 managers who served under him. Including a 'sweary' meeting with Setch when he relieved him of his duties.  Also comments about IC not being the easiest to deal with.

Strange how Mr. Cleeve finds so many people difficult to deal with!  :laughcry:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2018, 12:34:46 PM »
Jesus, are you suggesting there is a pattern emerging ?  :dontknow:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 01:41:42 PM »
Apologies for all of the fans who think this is 'good news' but as someone who has long argued against the benefactor model of club ownership this has all the makings of a disaster waiting to happen.  Football generally is not a 'money making business', in fact for 99% of clubs/owners it is the exact opposite, and the fact that SC is going to potentially throw a load of money at the club really does nothing but make my heart sink, so some simple questions for those who want to 'enjoy the ride':

1. what happens when the money runs out (and its is a finite amount - SC doesn't have a chain of hotels he can keep selling)
2. what happens if we do get promoted - how is a higher level of football going to be funded where the gap between what the club can generate itself and what it has to find in wages may well be greater than at this level (higher level football will not automatically result in higher gates for fans who have become accustomed to watching a winning team)
3. as the article itself poses - what happens if we don't get promoted?  All we will be left with is probably a poorer (and probably more bitter) owner with no thought to a succession plan

None of the above should be seen as having a lack of ambition for the football club but I think even the most ardent SC's supporters would be hard pressed to argue that to date his 'investment' is doing any more than papering over cracks rather than building solid foundations for a sustainable football club.

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 03:03:46 PM »
Tony
totally agree with you.
However, as much as at disappoints me, it is a fact of modern football at all levels.
You either go with it and enjoy the ride or sit where the cut of the cloth dictates.

Chelsea, Man City, Bournemouth, Fleetwood, Salford to name just a few, who would not be achieving what they are currently. They are enjoying the rewards from a benefactor.

I am sure all their supporters are pleased to be on the journey they are on or been on.

The days of a good manager meets good players to take you on an upward spiral have pretty much gone.