Author Topic: The George and the Owner  (Read 5292 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: The George and the Owner
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 08:12:02 AM »
100% get what you are saying Tony, we do think a like on that one.  However,  its difficult to turn it down when its offered on a table.   

The Club could jog along at step 3/4 forever and that in truth is probably our level.  Then when someone with cash on the hip comes along and says I'm gonna take you 500 loyal supporters on a journey and along the way hope to pick up another 500 supporters on route.  Who is going to stand up and say ...'Nope we don't want that'   Of course we all want success for your own club.  The journey will be I am sure enjoyable.  What the fallout will be at the end of the journey ?  Well history does teach us many things.... ( Histon,  Rushden & Diamonds and a good few others).   

Like him or loathe him, Stephen Cleeve is prepared to give it a crack and put his Money where his mouth is, the trouble is there are plenty out there who will take that money while it is available.  I do feel he needs to bring in outside investment to 'share the load'   If it costs X amount to get out of step 3 you can be darn sure it will cost Y to get out of step 2.  Maybe, Just maybe Stephen Cleeve has some big master plan to make the Club self funding going forward.  I have seen little evidence of that thus far. 

Interesting times ahead.   I guess we just have to cross the bridges as we come to them.  Nothing the fans can do other than support the Club and the Man who has the stewardship of the Club.

SamsDad

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2018, 08:31:21 AM »
100% get what you are saying Tony, we do think a like on that one.  However,  its difficult to turn it down when its offered on a table.   

The Club could jog along at step 3/4 forever and that in truth is probably our level.  Then when someone with cash on the hip comes along and says I'm gonna take you 500 loyal supporters on a journey and along the way hope to pick up another 500 supporters on route.  Who is going to stand up and say ...'Nope we don't want that'   Of course we all want success for your own club.  The journey will be I am sure enjoyable.  What the fallout will be at the end of the journey ?  Well history does teach us many things.... ( Histon,  Rushden & Diamonds and a good few others).   

Like him or loathe him, Stephen Cleeve is prepared to give it a crack and put his Money where his mouth is, the trouble is there are plenty out there who will take that money while it is available.  I do feel he needs to bring in outside investment to 'share the load'   If it costs X amount to get out of step 3 you can be darn sure it will cost Y to get out of step 2.  Maybe, Just maybe Stephen Cleeve has some big master plan to make the Club self funding going forward.  I have seen little evidence of that thus far. 

Interesting times ahead.   I guess we just have to cross the bridges as we come to them.  Nothing the fans can do other than support the Club and the Man who has the stewardship of the Club.

Well said, my concern also would be eased with sharing the load. We have been bitten twice in the past for previous money scenarios, it would be good to see the club be more self sufficient and have various investors on board to not only enable us to push further on up the leagues but to remain balanced if/when success doesn't come our way.

Kings Lynn still need to win back the supporters they have lost aswell as gain the new fans Mr Cleeve desires, this will only be done through a mixture of success and stability.. a difficult mixture with the money involved in football at all levels nowadays!

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2018, 10:38:04 AM »
I think you are all missing the point. What SC was mainly talking about was he did not have the time to run The George and the Linnets so he was selling the George so he could spend all his TIME running the Linnets. While he may sell the George for a lot of money nowhere did he say he was spending this on the club. I seem to remember that last seasons spend was in the form of a loan, which is a little worrying. However how do we know wether he has got other money coming in or not.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2018, 12:10:12 PM »
I think you are all missing the point. What SC was mainly talking about was he did not have the time to run The George and the Linnets so he was selling the George so he could spend all his TIME running the Linnets. While he may sell the George for a lot of money nowhere did he say he was spending this on the club. I seem to remember that last seasons spend was in the form of a loan, which is a little worrying. However how do we know wether he has got other money coming in or not.

EDP:

"And in an effort to put all his eggs in one basket he has chosen to try and sell the hotel at Cley – with offers over £895,000 - to help fund his ambitions at The Walks".

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 01:19:37 PM »
Guys, firstly thanks for keeping the debate on a sensible level without anyone 'taking sides' and making it personal either with other forum members or in respect to SC for that matter.

Replying to some specific points raised

Tazzy, most 'investments' by benefactors take the form of loans that are either then written off at some future point or form part of any settlement should the current owner sell their stake in the club.  What worries me is less that SC may well have £800K burning a hole in his pocket at some point but that the article says he will see his 'investment' topping £500K at some point this season - that is a crazy amount in less than three years at step 3

SamsDad / Mallard, I take the point about spreading the load but that didn't help the last time, in fact bringing in further investors only seemed to allow Bobbins to take the club further and further into the abyss.  I am also pretty certain that SC is too much of 'his own man' to want to give up sole ownership in favour of being part of a consortium

As for the 'enjoy the ride' argument, for those who weren't there that fateful night against Retford I can only say I never, never, ever want to stand on a terrace feeling like that ever again and no 'high' from any journey that we may or may not be on will be enough to cover that.  Again I would say that doesn't mean I am happy to sit at step 3 forever more, but rather that I would like to see a club that builds on where we are now that is then capable of mounting a successful promotion push and then living at step 2 based on a more sustainable business model.  Hard - yes, impossible - not imo

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 01:21:05 PM »
That was a comment by the EDP reporter not SC. If you took the words HE spoke

“A lot of clubs are mismanaged, but I am working 50 or 60 hours a week on the football club and I am in the situation I am probably going to sell the George Hotel because I can’t do both,” he said.

“I can’t run the George Hotel and this club. If the club is going to be a success we have got to start moving up through the leagues.

Nothing about the money there.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 03:21:34 PM »
Tony the loaning the club £500K is the most worrying part, what happens if he recalls his loan? I am sure if he has done/will do the £500K loan he will have it will have it legally sorted. However has he really spent all that money? This is the most worrying problem for me. If he does sell the George the club will only see a small portion of that as a loan.

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 07:30:43 PM »
While there have been clubs like Rushden who crashed and burned there have also been teams to counter that.Namely Burton,Cheltenham,Crawley,Macclesfield and Fleetwood.All have played at our level with crowds below ours and with much bigger clubs close by but have maintained a level of football that some of our fans for whatever reason don't think is attainable.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 07:49:38 PM »
Tazzy with regard to Stephen Cleeve ‘running’ The George I think if you read the sales literature on the sale you will see that Stephen is overseeing the running of the hotel. There is someone else running it.

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 07:58:28 PM »
I am only quoting what he said, that he does not have time to run both properly.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 08:42:46 PM »
I get that Tazzy and there is more to life than work.  Let’s remember the 500k figure that will be racked up this season includes 250k paid to Buster, so have to assume that has to be value.

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 07:46:38 PM »
Too many non league chairman/owners  have watched the Salford programmes on the telly. Then think they can copy the business model
 of a group of multi millionaires and a billionaire.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 08:39:54 AM »
It would be interesting to know how much Salford receive for that fly on the wall documentary.  Must be a good few grand to allow them that kind of access.    On the subject of Salford and The Conference Salford are firm favourites to win the League, I wonder if that has changed after just picking up just the one point from their opening 2 games.

George Thompson has started the opening 2 games for Harrogate ( 2 draws) while Cameron King has  been a used sub in Halifax's opening 2 games ( 2 wins).

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 09:20:10 AM »
from Stephen Cleeves twitter...

Cannot believe it - we let Kids in free to all games as we did not check with Weymouth and Slough before play offs that this was OK the league has ordered me to pay those clubs their % of an entrance fee that we never had.  You try and do the right thing  and get punished for it

A couple of things spring to mind.  Why wasn't an experienced Club Secretary able to pick up on this ?  I would suggest it wouldn't have happened on Martin Davis's watch.    Plus where is that Irony metre ?  I guess Mr Cleeve must have a small idea of how the people felt who he sold that prime development land to.   As The saying goes...what goes around, comes around.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 12:19:18 PM »
from Stephen Cleeves twitter...

Cannot believe it - we let Kids in free to all games as we did not check with Weymouth and Slough before play offs that this was OK the league has ordered me to pay those clubs their % of an entrance fee that we never had.  You try and do the right thing  and get punished for it.

So, how much is the admission fee for Kids? You could argue that if the Kid had not come the the Parent wouldn't have either.

Then again, a % of £0 = 0.

Have Weymouth and Slough spotted a chance to get more money?

Last season how much did Kids pay at Weymouth and Slough - Go back to them and ask for a % of their Home Gate.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.