Author Topic: More Questions than Answers  (Read 2471 times)

Mallard

• View Profile
More Questions than Answers
« on: September 12, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
What a win last night....  But has that now given the Chairman a massive problem ?   

We have gone with  full time ( expensive) manager's in Culverhouse and Clark.   Fryatt and Back wouldn't look to be full time ( would they ?)  so could this be the way forward ?  Two local guys who are Lynn through and through.  Both been involved with the Club from an early age.   Both know the local scene inside out and know every local player ( probably in the County).  Both also have a working relationship with the Chairman

Ronnie Moore is talked about as the next on the conveyor belt, but the guy lives in Rotherham and wont be moving.  So as Mr Cleeve has pointed out there are logistical problems there.  So if it not Ronnie, are we going to throw everything up in the air again and Hope we get a Culverhoue and not a Clark ?  Big Big Gamble.

Some will say that Fryatt and Back lack experience at this level.  That fact cant be argued but what better way than learning on the job.  Plus if they have the full backing of the players ( it appeared so last night) why not give them ago ?  Would the local fanbase better relate to 2 local guys ?  I really think maybe they would.

The 2 boys in charge last night certainly gave Stephen Cleeve plenty to think about .

Ok, what are others thinking.?

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
Re: More Questions than Answers
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 09:04:26 AM »
What a win last night....  But has that now given the Chairman a massive problem ?   

We have gone with  full time ( expensive) manager's in Culverhouse and Clark.   Fryatt and Back wouldn't look to be full time ( would they ?)  so could this be the way forward ?  Two local guys who are Lynn through and through.  Both been involved with the Club from an early age.   Both know the local scene inside out and know every local player ( probably in the County).  Both also have a working relationship with the Chairman

Ronnie Moore is talked about as the next on the conveyor belt, but the guy lives in Rotherham and wont be moving.  So as Mr Cleeve has pointed out there are logistical problems there.  So if it not Ronnie, are we going to throw everything up in the air again and Hope we get a Culverhoue and not a Clark ?  Big Big Gamble.

Some will say that Fryatt and Back lack experience at this level.  That fact cant be argued but what better way than learning on the job.  Plus if they have the full backing of the players ( it appeared so last night) why not give them ago ?  Would the local fanbase better relate to 2 local guys ?  I really think maybe they would.

The 2 boys in charge last night certainly gave Stephen Cleeve plenty to think about .

Ok, what are others thinking.?

If they want it, give it to the two local lads.

WRH

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »
Sounds good to me, until they lose 2 in a row then it will be "Mr Cleave took the cheap option."  "They haven't got the contacts." etc, etc.

I would love to see it work and with more local players getting a chance. It might even happen in an affordable sustainable way. But I fear if we are not up near the top, people will be asking for a more experienced, higher profile man.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 01:05:23 PM »
WRH,  !00% agree.  However surely it is up to the Chairman to manage peoples expectations ?  Clark came in on the back of Culverhouse, full time, 2 assistants managers, Both the Chairman and the new Manager singing from the same Hymn sheet. Operation not just play-offs ( as last season), but winning the  League.

So That plan has not worked and been an expensive mistake.  The Chairman is on record as saying he wants something build that is sustainable, well how about having a re-think on what has been achieved thus far,  when set against the 500k he has spent on what ?   A team sitting in a relegation position. ?  Surely that is a worse position than when he bought the Club.

So whether it is Fryatt and Back who get the job, maybe the should be run with a part time manager on a level that the Club can support going forward. 

A lot for the Chairman to think about over the next few days. 

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 06:06:15 PM »
As good as last nights result (and performance by all accounts) was it has to be viewed in context - it was against a team two steps below us and whatever the respective league placing and form this season we ought to progressing to the next round.  That takes nothing away from Back & Fryatt who must have done something that Clark & co had failed to do so far this season.

However, moving forward I would question whether they are really the best option for taking the first team forward and would hope we could attract someone with either a more proven track record in management or with more contacts higher up the non-league ladder, preferably both.  I would also like to see someone with Norwich connections as that should be a route we are fostering going forward whoever takes the reigns, it doesn't have to be a 'name' ie NOT Grant Holt please, but equally I would imagine that the 'Culverhouse' name helped with recruitment last summer so it has to be a factor.  Also whoever comes in I would assume that neither Back or Fryatt look like leaving any time soon so that wealth of local knowledge isn't going to be lost to whoever comes in.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 09:12:05 PM »

No. His aim is to get several promotions so he needs to appoint someone with the credentials and contacts to do that. Beating a team 2 steps lower by 7 is hardly worthy of League 2 football is it ?l

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 10:09:24 PM »
Looking at Histonís position and team, I would say they are probably a level below where they should be.

One thing both Neil and Backie have on their side is how well respected they are by players and supporters alike. That was very much in evidence off the back of last nightís team performance. Both have also been in and around the club for long enough to know how to play most if not all of the squad to itís strengths. I would imagine for some players it was a confidence thing and last nightís performance has doubtlessly restored some of that.

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 10:44:12 PM »
I donít think Cleeve will go down this path and Iím not sure whether I like it or not. But one thing that I will say is a certain Baker and Underwood (i think thatís correct) put us to the sword in the play off final and they arenít exactly Ďname managersí

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 08:34:33 AM »
If we believe the squad we already have in place is good enough to achieve the play offs, surely there is no reason to look beyond Fryatt and Back (if they are interested).

They are quite obviously capable of getting the best out of the current squad, so where's the benefit of looking elsewhere (at least for this season)?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 09:15:55 AM »
I think F&B should be given a go.   I think after the Clark experience the Club should think very carefully about this type of appointment going forward.  We Hit so lucky with Culverhouse ( only for the Chairman to mess it up), as good as IC was Clark was as bad.  So we are throwing everything up in the air and hoping that the right person falls in our lap.  With Fryatt and Back, you have a safe pair of hands ( or 2 pairs in this case). 

Neil will have the experience of working wit the likes of Keith Rudd, Setch and few others in his locker.  Backie has the advantage of working very closely with Ian Culverhouse, so I am sure some of him would have rubbed off on Robbie.

They are Both Kings Lynn Through and through, have the working knowledge of the Club and now every player at their disposal.  Also have a good knowledge of players in the County so could add to the squad ( Beevors and Gaughran leaving have depleted the squad).

If they mess it up, well is it any worse than Clark has done, and look at the cost of employing Clark, Beevors and Gaughran compared to the these 2 local lads.  Gives more budget for players, bigger squad etc.

Lots of positives to be gained.

wack

• Steve Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 09:22:08 AM »
Has anybody asked them if they would take the more pressured position bearing in mind that both have left the club in recent years for reasons of their own?
And to be clear I also would like to see them given the chance.

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 09:42:08 AM »

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 10:13:11 AM »
Seems Backie has more or less ruled himself out.

http://www.edp24.co.uk/sport/kings-lynn-town/linnets-manager-latest-1-5692072

"Never say never" is hardly ruling himself out of it!

Paul47

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 10:16:31 AM »

Fair point. But saying ďIím not putting myself in the ringĒ and ďIím happy doing what Iím doingĒ doesnít exactly say he wants to do it either!

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 10:37:53 AM »

Fair point. But saying ďIím not putting myself in the ringĒ and ďIím happy doing what Iím doingĒ doesnít exactly say he wants to do it either!

Agreed, but nobody has suggested he does want it, just that they (not just Backie) would be a good fit. In fact there's a couple of previous posts saying "if".

"If" they decide they are willing, I just think it would fit on so many levels.

Acceptance by a majority of supporters.
Acceptance by the existing squad.
Club men through and through.
Local contacts.
A GENUINE opportunity to bring Youth and Reserves players through to first team (surely this would fit in well with Chairman's Academy plans and what he's put in place over at Gresham (although I don't know where Ray Hall would fit in to this). Something so many have been wanting to see for years!
Presumably much lower cost than the previous arrangement.

And of course, they are more than capable of doing the job!

For this season at least, I'd like to see then go for it and be given the chance.

If they want it and are willing to go for it, what's not to like?