Author Topic: More Questions than Answers  (Read 2469 times)

Paul47

• View Profile
Re: More Questions than Answers
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 10:50:05 AM »
I agree. I think they would both do a great job if offered it on a more permanent basis.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 11:08:11 AM »
I agree. I think they would both do a great job if offered it on a more permanent basis.

I forgot one very important point I'd now like to add:

Capable of having a working relationship with the Chairman!

:scarf:  :scarf:  :scarf:

jesuslinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 11:34:47 AM »

For now...

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 11:51:35 AM »

For now...
I think that would be the potential problem of having two very hard working and loyal servants of the club in a managerial position.
If things go wrong and they are sacked then you are losing more than just a manager.
Yes, they might step down and continue with their other duties but then again the parting might be acrimonious and that could have a knock on effect on the players and fans.

Blue Moon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 12:04:10 PM »
I'm all for promoting within and "shopping local" but with the greatest respect to Robbie n Neil is knowing local / county players enough to drive the club forward ? . Apart from Norwich we are the highest Norfolk club in the league system and their first team isn't exactly full of local players, so that begs the question are there local players out there currently good enough to take us forward ? In my opinion they would be better suited working with the young uns, developing them and hopefully unearthing a gem or two.
 I remember many years ago reading/ hearing a well respected ex Lynn player and manager saying you'll never get a football team anywhere with just local, country boys ,they're just "too nice" and don't have that extra competetive edge that big town, city boys do, being a country boy myself I found that hard to comprehend but looking back its proved to be true, in recent times we've all raved about the short Heggs era and where were most of his players based or from ?
As for Mr Cleeves decision to appoint Clark, give the man a break, we've all made mistakes with choosing people , I suspect many of us have chosen the wrong person in our time, be it on a personal or professional level. Judging from how Clark came across in his first news conference I'd imagine he also came across very well at the interview stage and seemed an ideal candidate, at least Mr Cleeve had the kahoonas to realise he'd got it wrong and parted company before too much long term damage was done.
Everybody involved in the club wants it to be successful and grow and develop, some of us may not always agree with the methods and routes taken but let's get positive, stop the sniping, and get behind the teams both behind the scenes and on the pitch.
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

Paulos

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2018, 12:06:35 PM »
I hear hereford's boss got the chop this morning sign him up......lol

wack

• Steve Jackson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2018, 12:13:50 PM »
Tamworth boss also gone

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2018, 01:17:05 PM »
Too many people in too much hurry for success?

Give the two locals the rest of the season to see how it goes. If we can see the entire club progressing after that, and not just the first team , then maybe we have a winning formula.

Whatís more important? Instant success being defined by a play off place, or long term success by having the correct infrastructure in place.

In Backie and Fryatt we maybe have a chance of both. Otherwise we could just see the sole objective being chasing glory this season, with all the problems that can bring if we fail.

Marathon not a sprint!

If they want it, give them the chance.

LUFC1992KLFC

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2018, 01:57:29 PM »
No disrespects to Rob and Neil.
However if really want to go down that route we may as well wind back 2 seasons and go back to Gary Setchell.
Now, Gary is a fine manager at a certain level. Is he or the like the man/men to take us to where we aspire?
Although many were disappointed when Gary went. The majority were in agreement he had taken us as far as he could and his style was not what we wanted to see. That would probably be the same outcome with Fryatt & Back. Very similar experiances and styles..

BUT..... Sometimes luck and timing plays a big part. If we cant get what we want, maybe go with the local guys and see what happens. I recall David O'Leary did pretty well when the stars aligned, for a couple of years anyway.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2018, 02:15:08 PM »
No disrespects to Rob and Neil.
However if really want to go down that route we may as well wind back 2 seasons and go back to Gary Setchell.
Now, Gary is a fine manager at a certain level. Is he or the like the man/men to take us to where we aspire?
Although many were disappointed when Gary went. The majority were in agreement he had taken us as far as he could and his style was not what we wanted to see. That would probably be the same outcome with Fryatt & Back. Very similar experiances and styles..

BUT..... Sometimes luck and timing plays a big part. If we cant get what we want, maybe go with the local guys and see what happens. I recall David O'Leary did pretty well when the stars aligned, for a couple of years anyway.

Sorry but donít think you can compare Setch with Back and Fryatt.

All the time in the world for Setch, but Fryatt and Back are an entirely different proposition.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2018, 02:17:47 PM »

Give the two locals the rest of the season to see how it goes. If we can see the entire club progressing after that, and not just the first team , then maybe we have a winning formula.

Whatís more important? Instant success being defined by a play off place, or long term success by having the correct infrastructure in place.

In Backie and Fryatt we maybe have a chance of both. Otherwise we could just see the sole objective being chasing glory this season, with all the problems that can bring if we fail.

Marathon not a sprint!

Can understand the 'marathon not a sprint' idea and I think if the Trust was running the club that may well be the preferred (only) option but I really don't think the current owner wants to go down that path, likewise many fans have had their expectations raised both by last season and frankly stupid comments from SC so there will be a proportion that may be unwilling to support what they may see as a backward step.  Ultimately it depends on whether B&F would want the role on a permanent basis (both have taken breaks from less demanding roles in the past) and if SC is prepared to continue to subsidise a step 3 club, neither seems that likely.  Also the point made by admin about potentially losing these two if things do turn sour down the line can't be understated.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2018, 02:27:18 PM »

Marathon not a sprint!

Don't forget that the extra £1 on the entry price was to guarantee promotion, I presume the Backie and Fryatt would come in considerably cheaper than the three stooges,this would allow for a healthier budget for players, thus increasing expectation even more? :bankrupt:
What really falls me is that people are so clever hiding behind a name and continually calling people out for their opinions! I like real people who can discuss things face to face, please make it a prerequisite that if you join the forum your actual name is visible. Cue posters leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

tazzywazz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2018, 02:44:45 PM »
Tony hinted that both have stepped down from much less demanding positions than this. I believe Neil is quite happy with the U18's as the call on his time was too much when 1st team coach and as he wanted more time with his family. Backie has a very time consuming job and has stood down from the reserves managers job as he was struggling to cope with both jobs and family, he also had problems with his health. Both have found jobs within the club that they are happy with and are only helping the club out at the moment. I presume they will be with the 1st team on Saturday, lets hope they and the team have another great result. We will probably see a new manager some time next week.

Dilligaf

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2018, 03:04:15 PM »
Be careful what you wish for.....in 10/12 games time cleeve could find himself between a rock and a hard place....do I sack 2 more managers in the same season?...or do i leave them to finish the season even though we're no better off than when clarke was in charge?....there's alot more to it than standing on the sidelines for 90 mins. Ask the players when culverhouse took the training sessions...😕😕😕

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2018, 03:44:31 PM »
Tazzy you make some very valid points.  IF Neil and Robbie don't fancy it for whatever reason ( Family illness) then yep that's a no brainer.   If however these 2 local loyal club stalwarts do fancy it then I would support them being given the chance. 

Mr Cleeve in his interview on the sacking of Clark stated that as far as he is concerned Kettering are home and hosed and the best we can even hope for this season is the play-lottery of winning 3 games if we finish in the top 5.  So IF this season is a right off, what's the harm in giving these boys a go ?  Decent Budget.....and for those saying there is no talent in the area to play at step 3 ?  You must be kidding.  Dereham  have a least 3 players just for starters. Plus there are little gems everywhere if you look. Plus you have Suffolk, Lincs,  Cambs to spread your net.   Culverhouse build a decent squad from players within a certain mile radius.  So The players are out there.