Author Topic: Back and Fryatt appointed.  (Read 2684 times)

Linnet1993

• View Profile
Re: Back and Fryatt appointed.
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 04:28:23 PM »
Agree with sentiments above donít think we need any more players right now. But another CB and ST done the line depending on how the season goes are proabably our 2 needs

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 04:45:30 PM »
Could be a case of the manager that Lynn want/would be interested in just isn't available at the moment because they're in a start/middle of a project and want to see how it goes for a bit longer. If Backie and Fryatt are happy to stay on, and step aside when said manager becomes available further down the line (whether that's few weeks or months) regardless how well they've done, it could be good for everyone.

Monthly rolling contract seems to fit that model.

Mick

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 05:00:03 PM »
I doubt the chairman's ambitions are on hold. The guys are motivating the players and winning matches so why not keep with them. You couldn't ask for more even if Pep was appointed.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 05:30:35 PM »
Stan, Culverhouse was a Manager who was good enough to meet the Chairmanís ambitionís on the pitch. Think over the course of 5 years he would have taken us to National League level, finances permitting. 

Clark ?  Donít even get me started.  Poor appointment, thatís not hindsight talking either.

Backie n Neil.  Good enough to get somewhere near the play offs of step this season, that despite what they have inherited from Clarkís mess. However to achieve that they will need help along the way in terms of reinforcements.  A Cup run plus a catch up League position will take its toll on a small squad.  Letís not forget we have The FA Trophy to be thrown into the mix shortly.  I think Backie n Neil should be given all the Ďtoolsí  available by the Chairman to let them make a real fist of this job at this level. 

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 05:45:48 PM »
Mallard. I understand what you are saying but I think they do already have the tools. Have you seen a copy of the club's budget for this season?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2018, 05:49:33 PM »
Stan, Culverhouse was a Manager who was good enough to meet the Chairmanís ambitionís on the pitch. Think over the course of 5 years he would have taken us to National League level, finances permitting. 

Clark ?  Donít even get me started.  Poor appointment, thatís not hindsight talking either.

Backie n Neil.  Good enough to get somewhere near the play offs of step this season, that despite what they have inherited from Clarkís mess. However to achieve that they will need help along the way in terms of reinforcements.  A Cup run plus a catch up League position will take its toll on a small squad.  Letís not forget we have The FA Trophy to be thrown into the mix shortly.  I think Backie n Neil should be given all the Ďtoolsí  available by the Chairman to let them make a real fist of this job at this level.

Hear hear Mallard,give the guys the tools to do the job with as little interference as possible,let them run the team. Now is the time to start running the club, you only have to look around at our level and see what other teams do,comedy nights,music nights also film nights,we had a couple of bingo nights and that was it,make the club a social club! :dontknow:
What really falls me is that people are so clever hiding behind a name and continually calling people out for their opinions! I like real people who can discuss things face to face, please make it a prerequisite that if you join the forum your actual name is visible. Cue posters leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2018, 06:02:21 PM »
Stan, have to agree to differ.  Fryatt and McAuley will pick up bookings/suspensions. Gash is injury prone. Last season we had Lappin, Frary, Siddons, King, Siddons, Mettam so always had bodyís on the bench to bring something to the party. Remember the goals Siddons added when brought on.  For me, we are a couple short.

As for this seasonís budget, no not seen it. Could you email me a copy over ?

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2018, 06:12:03 PM »
Happy to agree to differ Mallard. With regard to the club's finances neither of us have detailed knowledge of these and are therefore not in a position to suggest what the club should  or should not spend in terms of players or otherwise.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2018, 06:29:44 PM »
Always Stan, different views are fine with me also.

Re the Budget what we know is we have got rid of a full time Manager plus 2 player/coaches. Then factor the new striker who went back to Thetford.  Incoming are 2 local lads to Manage on a part-time basis.  That to me suggests there is a surplus, unless you are suggesting there has been a budget cut ?  I guess we will get the answer to this over the next couple of weeks

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2018, 07:17:37 PM »
I can see why the appointments have been made and nothing against either of the lads involved but personally not a fan of what we now have - permanent temporary managers.  If SC decided they were the right people then appoint them and make it through to the end of the season, given the reaction of the squad it looks unlikely we will still be in 19th come the end of the season and B&F look as likely as anyone to get us into a playoff position. 

Whilst I accept I have only seen one game this season (last Saturday) I don't agree with the view that the squad is strong enough and signs are that B&F agree with the only Clark signings being 'enforced' changes from last year (Jones, McAuley and Limb).  No replacement for Lappin leaves us exposed on the left, Limb may come good but we still look very short up front and having lost Ward and Frary at the back I remain to be convinced that we can be solid enough with a back four whilst still relying on both full backs to provide any width.

So, the real question and one that only time will answer is how much B&F will be allowed to develop the squad (both ins and outs) and only then can we really judge what sort of job they can do longer term.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2018, 07:51:36 PM »
Biggest variable Mallard are the attendances. If these are lower than predicted then less funds available so cost savings in terms of outgoing manager and Thetford player may have helped ofset the loss in revenue through the turnstiles. As we don't have all the info it's pointless speculating.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2018, 08:02:23 PM »
I can see why the appointments have been made and nothing against either of the lads involved but personally not a fan of what we now have - permanent temporary managers.  If SC decided they were the right people then appoint them and make it through to the end of the season, given the reaction of the squad it looks unlikely we will still be in 19th come the end of the season and B&F look as likely as anyone to get us into a playoff position. 

Whilst I accept I have only seen one game this season (last Saturday) I don't agree with the view that the squad is strong enough and signs are that B&F agree with the only Clark signings being 'enforced' changes from last year (Jones, McAuley and Limb).  No replacement for Lappin leaves us exposed on the left, Limb may come good but we still look very short up front and having lost Ward and Frary at the back I remain to be convinced that we can be solid enough with a back four whilst still relying on both full backs to provide any width.

So, the real question and one that only time will answer is how much B&F will be allowed to develop the squad (both ins and outs) and only then can we really judge what sort of job they can do longer term.
Lynn have scored 12 goals in the last three games Tony. Forward line doing OK from my perspective.
I think the real challenge for the duo is to get the best from these players. I have already seen signs that they are having an impact. Jones had his best game for Lynn last Saturday, for example. He has massive potential if managed well.
The players are in place just need some good coaching.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2018, 08:03:03 PM »
Biggest variable Mallard are the attendances. If these are lower than predicted then less funds available so cost savings in terms of outgoing manager and Thetford player may have helped ofset the loss in revenue through the turnstiles. As we don't have all the info it's pointless speculating.

Was Mr Cleeve not setting his stall out expecting to hit the ground running and attract gates around the 800 mark? Falling short of that figure could severely dent the budget? :dontknow:
What really falls me is that people are so clever hiding behind a name and continually calling people out for their opinions! I like real people who can discuss things face to face, please make it a prerequisite that if you join the forum your actual name is visible. Cue posters leaving!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2018, 08:13:24 PM »
Stan, nice try but Iím not buying that.  I will see your attendance  and raise you with FACup prize money plus 2 Home FA cup games (1 to come) got to be worth circa 25k plus ?.

You folding ?

I am not buying your suggestion either that the Backie n Fryatt are working with a budget cut

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2018, 08:18:55 PM »
I am just giving an example Mallard: that we don't have enough info about the club accounts to make these comments. If you had a copy of the budget in front of you I would respect your points but a crystal ball isn't used in accounting circles these days.