Author Topic: What would you do ?  (Read 3674 times)

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
What would you do ?
« on: October 23, 2018, 03:41:52 PM »
Just a hypothetical question and absolutely no dig at the Chairman or Backie n Fryatt, if you were in Mr Cleeves shoes would you continue the search for a new , long term manager or carry on with the current situation ?
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: What would you do ?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 05:55:57 PM »
100% stay with what we have, for now.  That is unless the right person became available.  The big problem is who is that right person? Backie n Neil have proved already they can manage at this level. Whether they are at  the next step is another question. 

Big time Managers cost money.  Is Stephen Cleeve prepared to take that risk again, so quickly ?

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 06:30:40 PM »
The position the Chairman has at the moment is a great one to be in, he can keep his ear to the ground and wait until the right manager comes along. I fully expect Rob and Neil to continue till the end of this season and then for someone to come in and takeover

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 07:17:38 PM »
I thought the understanding was that Backie n Neil would move aside if the right person came along and they would revert back to thier former posts at the Club.

I just hope if, as Griss has said that the George is sold, the money doesn’t burn a hole in The Chairman’s pocket and he invests it wisely.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 07:22:45 PM »
I thought the understanding was that Backie n Neil would move aside if the right person came along and they would revert back to thier former posts at the Club.

I just hope if, as Griss has said that the George is sold, the money doesn’t burn a hole in The Chairman’s pocket and he invests it wisely.

I don't think I said on here that the George had been sold? :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 08:06:58 PM »
Maybe they will provide us with a much needed win on Saturday,prize money will be a major goal,as I understand the hotel has been sold,so the Chairmans eggs are now all in one basket? :dontknow: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

See your post from another Thread Griss.  Am I reading it wrong ?

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 08:20:17 PM »
Maybe they will provide us with a much needed win on Saturday,prize money will be a major goal,as I understand the hotel has been sold,so the Chairmans eggs are now all in one basket? :dontknow: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

See your post from another Thread Griss.  Am I reading it wrong ?

My mistake,missed that one. :coffee:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 08:59:42 PM »
Backie and Fryatt doing pretty well so far and if it ain't broke...
I am worried that we are struggling to get results at home. These problems at home require clever coaching. Do Backie and Fryatt have the knowhow?

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2018, 09:15:50 PM »
Probably not Stan, then again it might be argued that Simon Clark did have the know how (CV wise). Have to believe that Chiarman is getting value for money with the 2 guys in situ at the moment.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2018, 09:36:05 PM »
I would stick with what we have now,they are doing okay so far. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 09:37:27 PM »
As you pointed out yourself Mallard, there were plenty of questions arising from Clark’s CV and coaching "badges" don't mean anything if you can't do it in practice. I've known plenty of coaches who didn't even have a level 1 yet could make a real difference to their teams through clever training and astute tactics. I've also know some who had an armful of "badges" and yet were very ordinary in practice.
I'm not sure that the chairman will consider it good value for money if Lynn don't make the play offs and if we don't sort our home form soon then we won't.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 07:45:20 AM »
You are correct Stan, sadly with Clark the feedback I had proved correct.  Though Stephen Cleev and the people advising him saw it differently.  Some coaches work out at one place but not at another, it happens.

I would suggest Stan That the Chairman is getting better value for money from Backie and Neil than he did from Clark, Beevor and Gaughran, even if they fail to win promotion.  The 2 lads in the job have picked up from a difficult situation.  For me, they are doing a fine job steadying the ship.  Can they take it on to the next level ?    Your guess is as good as mine. After Xmas if its looking unlikely that we can make the top 5 then I would hold back on the resources available and look at the bigger picture.

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 08:44:01 AM »
Stick with what we have, its not their fault we keep missing sitters, or the last 2 goals scored against us at the Walks have been 25 yard thunderbolts.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 09:19:27 AM »
You are correct Stan, sadly with Clark the feedback I had proved correct.  Though Stephen Cleev and the people advising him saw it differently.  Some coaches work out at one place but not at another, it happens.

I would suggest Stan That the Chairman is getting better value for money from Backie and Neil than he did from Clark, Beevor and Gaughran, even if they fail to win promotion.  The 2 lads in the job have picked up from a difficult situation.  For me, they are doing a fine job steadying the ship.  Can they take it on to the next level ?    Your guess is as good as mine. After Xmas if its looking unlikely that we can make the top 5 then I would hold back on the resources available and look at the bigger picture.

Bigger picture Mallard?  :dontknow:
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

poshlinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 10:23:44 AM »
I'd stick with Backie and Fryatt until at least half way through the season. If it looks like we are not going to gain a place in the play-offs then start looking for a new manager to allow him to stabilise his squad before the 2019/2020 season starts, as Cluverhouse did. If it looks likely that we going to get a play-off slot (or higher fingers crossed) then leave the guys in charge so as not to rock the boat.
As for a new manager coming in, I would want to see confirmed contacts for any new staff and also either a track record if success or a contract in place that states the performance I would expect from the team.
But its the chairman's club, not mine.  :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: