Author Topic: A must read for Mr Cleeve and KL's passionate supporters.  (Read 1381 times)

jackdaw

• View Profile
A must read for Mr Cleeve and KL's passionate supporters.
« on: January 04, 2019, 01:46:32 PM »
Go to BBC sport football and read, From 'smell of death' to Spurs FA cup tie- how the Palios family is reviving Tranmere.

An eye opener and excellent read for anyone with ambition to reach the  Football League  :scarf:

jackdaw

• View Profile
Re: A must read for Mr Cleeve and KL's passionate supporters.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 07:12:19 AM »
Amazed that nobody have chosen to comment on a really interesting subject .  :scarf:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2019, 11:40:04 AM »
OK, I'll bite... not sure what the article really tells us other than the current model of football up and down the country and throughout the pyramid is completely broken.  Some nice bits in there about park runs (Trust run!) etc and an increase in season tickets and community involvement but not convinced that Tranmere are out of the woods yet, although £500K from the Spurs match won't do them any harm.

The worry for me from the article is the step change that is required to make that extra step up the leagues and something that I think SC and Lynn fans would do well to think long and hard about.  Whilst the difference between step 3 and step 2 of non-league is probably not the same as League 2 to League 1, the parallels are there and I still think Lynn's best chance of being sustainability is in our current league, mainly based on the travelling distances involved, player availability and the fact that I don't think we would attract many more fans to watch a higher level of football, indeed if home results start to turn then could present levels be sustained?  So I think the financially viable model for Lynn is playoff challengers at step 3 with the odd cup run to bolster the coffers every few seasons.  Happy to be proved wrong and won't stop me cheering the lads on today but think there is a lot more that needs to be in place, especially off the pitch, to make promotion to the National league look an attractive proposition

jackdaw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2019, 02:11:33 PM »
Tony M ,  Couple of points about Tranmere a family business and not a one man band and their catchment area far better than Lynn's.
Having 60 years ago a failed pro. and there are still many every year I have seen these players first hand.  Tranmere are far better placed to pick up those very good failures than Lynn and still struggle. Hereford are a good example of how hard it is just one step up.  :scarf:

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 03:09:45 PM »
Lynn have one of the best catchment areas in non-league football, a pentagon of Hunstanton, Fakenham, Downham, Wisbech, KL, and all villages in between, amounting to about 120,000 people, with no clubs in competition in the entire area.  If they doubled the terrace size behind both goals plus cover, that would show fans of the game who never go to the Walks that they had a proper ground and the ambition to reach their potential, which I believe would attract some of the armchair fans.  Or stay where we are for another 100 years.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2019, 06:50:50 PM »
Lynn have one of the best catchment areas in non-league football, a pentagon of Hunstanton, Fakenham, Downham, Wisbech, KL, and all villages in between, amounting to about 120,000 people, with no clubs in competition in the entire area.  If they doubled the terrace size behind both goals plus cover, that would show fans of the game who never go to the Walks that they had a proper ground and the ambition to reach their potential, which I believe would attract some of the armchair fans.  Or stay where we are for another 100 years.

Nice to have dreams but dreams need to be financed, and unless you already have a massive fanbase then it would need someone with very deep pockets to realise this. There has to be something to persuade the fans to travel,Fakenham, Wisbech,Downham,Swaffham all these plaves have their own teams,albeit lower in the pyramid,but they have their loyal fans? Just ask how many Lynn fans would be tempted to watch Wisbech if they upgraded their facilities? :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2019, 07:57:06 PM »
For those that couldn't find it, here's the link:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46739485