Author Topic: Royston Away  (Read 2926 times)

Stan

• "Supporters, not Customers!"
    • View Profile
Royston Away
« on: January 10, 2019, 01:19:33 PM »
Royston, after some good results in the early part of the season, which saw them in the play-off places, have slipped back in recent weeks and are now in twelfth, 7 points behind Lynn.
A couple of poor results at home in early December, which saw them ship a total of 10 goals (4 against Needham Mkt and 6 against Biggleswade) must have been of huge concern for their manager, Steve Castle. It looks like they’ve sorted it: only 4 goals conceded in their last six league matches!
It sounds an intriguing game: Lynn scoring freely away from home (25 goals in 11 games; a tally only matched by Stourbridge;) Royston’s miserly defence and the return to his former club of Adam Marriott.
Marriott scored 30 or so goals for Royston last season in 30 or so games: a goal per game ratio that he is currently on track to match at Lynn. Royston are bound to mark him tightly. Might be a chance for Ryan Hawkins to get his “A” game back: a bit of unpredictability from midfield could swing it in Lynn’s favour, if Marriott is as heavily shackled as anticipated.
I wonder what sort of tactics Royston will employ? It sounds like they might set up defensively, hitting Lynn on the counter. They looked a decent counter-attacking side in their home game against Kettering, so I reckon that’s what they’ll go for. I’m not sure how Lynn will set up. Is Aaron Jones having his op?

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
Re: Royston Away
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2019, 07:39:58 PM »
Stan, I will be surprised if we come away with less than a point.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 06:41:20 AM »
Stan, I will be surprised if we come away with less than a point.
I hope you're right. They way our season is panning out we need to win our away games as we keep drawing at home. It's going to be quite a challenge just to get a play off place. It's so tight at the top.

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2019, 08:47:24 AM »
Don't see it that way Stan. Lynn gave all the play off hopefuls a ten point start and are now level or better than them.If the season continues to pan out the way its going Lynn will make the play offs reasonably comfortably. No real chance of automatic promotion, but should be in the mix at the end.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2019, 10:33:50 AM »
Nineteen Games to go.

Both Royston and Hitchin are Home and Away.

Of the others: 12 are against Lower Table teams and 7 are against Top Table teams.

Against the 12 games scheduled against Lower Table teams we have already Won 3 at Home and 2 Away and Drawn 2 at Home and 3 Away and Lost 1 at Home (20points)

Against the 7 games scheduled against Top Table teams we have already Won 1 at Home and 2 Away and Drawn 2 at Home an 1 Away and Lost 1 at Home and 0 Away (12points)

If we repeat this points tally against these teams (32points) will it be enough to see us in the Play Off's with 71points?

No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2019, 10:40:03 AM »
We need to keep winning to improve our points per game ratio. Comparing ours to the top half of the Northern Prem then we are trailing which could mean that if we win our divisional play-off we could end being away to the likes of South Shields in the play-off final.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2019, 12:47:13 PM »
Think Lynn could be away in some if not all the play offs.....and it may suit them that way

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 01:35:23 PM »
Not sure Stephen Cleeve would agree with you there.

Stan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2019, 06:19:47 PM »
Nineteen Games to go.

Of the others: 12 are against Lower Table teams and 7 are against Top Table teams.

Against the 12 games scheduled against Lower Table teams we have already Won 3 at Home and 2 Away and Drawn 2 at Home and 3 Away and Lost 1 at Home (20points)

Against the 7 games scheduled against Top Table teams we have already Won 1 at Home and 2 Away and Drawn 2 at Home an 1 Away and Lost 1 at Home and 0 Away (12points)

If we repeat this points tally against these teams (32points) will it be enough to see us in the Play Off's with 71points?
Here's my prediction for league positions:
1st Kettering
2nd Stourbridge
3rd King's Lynn
4th Coalville
5th Stratford
6th Rushden

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2019, 08:02:17 PM »
Nineteen Games to go.

Here's my prediction for league positions:
1st Kettering
2nd Stourbridge
3rd King's Lynn
4th Coalville
5th Stratford
6th Rushden

Kettering
Lynn
Stourbridge
Biggleswade
Stratford
Rushden
Coalville

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:56 PM »
Will be interesting to see how IC sets the team up tomorrow. 

Personally thought he got a couple of key decisions wrong last weekend - firstly playing Hawkins as a sort of wing back (which he isn't and spent the entire first half proving the point) even though we had three players on the bench who could all justify a claim to that spot and then taking Robinson off when he looked to be having a decent game, if we are going with a back 3 they need as many minutes on the pitch together as they can get (problems were further up the park).

Squad looks a bit more balanced with the addition of Robinson and now Kerins and I would start them both tomorrow, reports are that everyone is 'rested' so hopefully Jarvis and Clunan can hold the middle of the park and then in front of them its perm any 3 from 5 of Parker, Henderson, Hawkins (all of whom imo play their best football in the middle behind a front line), Gash and Marriott. 

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2019, 08:30:22 AM »
For me Tony ( if all fit)

Street
Kerins
BT
Robinson
Fryatt
McAuley
Jarv
Clunan
Hendo
Marroitt
Gash

Castellan
Parker
Hawkins
Bastock

3-4-1-2  or 5-3-1-1 depends if we have the ball or not  :mystic:

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2019, 05:08:11 PM »
Great win away today without Gash. Kettering losing.  Dare we dream ?

somerset linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2019, 05:12:40 PM »
Unfortunately Mallard Kettering scored a very late goal to draw. :banghead; :banghead;

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2019, 06:01:55 PM »
Great win, good to see Kettering drop points only 12 more to go  :laughcry: