Author Topic: Barwell  (Read 3048 times)

KES80

• View Profile
Barwell
« on: January 14, 2019, 09:52:01 PM »
Feels important to get back to football chat.
I am no expert on tight hamstrings, but on the assumption that  Michael Gash needs another week's rest, what team set up is most likely for the visit of Barwell ?
I was a little surprised that IC didn't go with Marriott and Hawkins down the middle from the off against Royston.
Any thoughts ?

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
Re: Barwell
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 06:33:11 AM »
I'm not sure that Lynn set up as effectively as they might have done against Royston. With Royston only playing one up top,. Lynn's 3 central defenders were 1 player too many, leaving them short of players up the field. I don't know why Jarvis isn't played up front if Gash is still being rested. He used to play as a forward/ attacking mid before he came to us and although he's lost a bit of pace, I'm sure that he would provide good support for Marriott. I thought looked stronger when they reverted to 442 against Leiston in the second half with Hawkins on the right side of the diamond. As Harwell are bound to set up 451, Lynn should play the 442 diamond with Jarvis sitting just behind Marriott, making it more 4411.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 08:11:10 AM »
Now the moaners  are finding out how much Gash brings to the game?  :oldman"
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 08:16:32 AM »
You are right Griss.  For this level pound for pound, as good as you are gonna get.  Shame we didn’t have a Siddons or Hilliard to share the load with him.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 08:24:20 AM »

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 08:43:33 AM »
" the moaners"
:laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

Yes Steve,sorrry Stan,the moaners who stand there and slate Gash at every game! :banghead; :banghead;
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2019, 08:57:45 AM »
" the moaners"

Yes Steve,sorrry Stan,the moaners who stand there and slate Gash at every game! :banghead; :banghead;
Sorry Griss, just saw your post as a case of the pot calling the kettle black. So, it wasn't self-deprecating humour then: my mistake.
Oh, and it's Mr Cleeve to you.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2019, 09:08:26 AM »
" the moaners"

Sorry Griss, just saw your post as a case of the pot calling the kettle black. So, it wasn't self-deprecating humour then: my mistake.
Oh, and it's Mr Cleeve to you.

I will stick with Boycie if that is okay, you seemed to find that one amusing when we had our chat,lol. :laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWsXIushtbI

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2019, 08:09:03 PM »
Back to the Subject!

Barwell - Win, Lose or Draw :dontknow:

My forecast is 5-1 Win with 675 Attendance.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Linnet 1958

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2019, 08:38:18 PM »
3-1 home win 826 attendance :scarf:

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2019, 08:57:08 PM »
I will plump for 2-1 home win,650 attendance as the weather is supposed to turn rough. :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 09:04:12 PM »
I think Kettering's stuttering form might motivate both the team and the fans and you wouldn't bet against an in form Lynn to beat an out of form Barwell but Lynn have struggled to get 3 points at home this season. I think Lynn's formation and starting 11 will be crucial. 3 at the back leaves Lynn's midfield stretched and Lynn have looked more threatening when playing that 442 diamond: the last 30 mins against Leiston being a case in point. Lynn struggled last week with 3 at the back and I'd be surprised if Culverhouse starts with this. I hope the cold weather doesn't put the older supporters off.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 01:50:21 PM »
I think Kettering's stuttering form might motivate both the team and the fans and you wouldn't bet against an in form Lynn to beat an out of form Barwell but Lynn have struggled to get 3 points at home this season. I think Lynn's formation and starting 11 will be crucial. 3 at the back leaves Lynn's midfield stretched and Lynn have looked more threatening when playing that 442 diamond: the last 30 mins against Leiston being a case in point. Lynn struggled last week with 3 at the back and I'd be surprised if Culverhouse starts with this. I hope the cold weather doesn't put the older supporters off.

I didn't go last week, so can't really comment on whether 3 at the back did or didn't work but would take issue with the swap to 442 being the reason for the improvement vs Leiston - big change for me was that we moved personnel which meant we had someone capable of playing wing back / attacking full back on the right hand side, not seen Kerins yet but if he can do the job then happy to go with  3-4-3 again although that does leave only one spot between Parker, Henderson and Hawkins if Gash is fit and plays. 

For me this is the biggest issue with the balance of the squad, all three 'do a job' and are more than good enough to be in a promotion chasing side at step 3 but is having three players whose best / most natural position is at the top of a diamond / just behind the front two a luxury that means we are short elsewhere in the squad?  All have their strengths -
 * Parker is a fantastic timer of runs into the box and I can see why IC likes him so much, does lots of good work and scores more than his fair share.
 * Hawkins for me is best doing what he did when we swapped it around vs Leiston - find space in the middle third of the pitch and run at defenders - whether this is better as a sub vs tired legs is open to debate (I saw a quote from last Saturday in which he said IC said something along the lines of go on and cause chaos - should be his aim every week, nothing more, nothing less). 
 * Henderson looks positive in that central role and is no doubt a good player, I just wonder why B&F brought him in and whether he is really that much better than either of the other two to warrant reducing their game time to play him instead

Whatever IC decides to go with, I think we should have enough to get the three points, given the change in the weather anything over 700 has to be seen as a positive.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2019, 02:15:17 PM »
Chris Henderson is a more dynamic player than Craig Parker. Hendo's strengths are his ability to time and thread a pass through, especially to FBT - they seem to have a good rapport.

Sometimes the unavailability of players can dictate the set up and the ability of a player to be able to serve in several positions is paramount. Jones, Richards, FBT, Hawkins, Henderson are most able to do this for the team.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

mike20382

• Michael Robinson
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2019, 05:55:52 PM »
" the moaners"
Where I stand have never heard anyone moan at  Gashie and anyone who did would be shouted down. The sheer work rate of the man is phenomenal.