Author Topic: Squad  (Read 1394 times)

TonyM

• View Profile
Squad
« on: January 17, 2019, 01:42:43 PM »
So, with a couple of new recruits in and MC on his way out where does that leave the squad?  Some are looking for midfielders, some forwards a lot of which I guess depends on your preferred starting formation and where you see the strengths and weaknesses of the current squad.  My twopenneth:

I think we are better as 3-4-3 with an option of maybe going with 2 centre halves and Jarvis sitting just in front rather than as part of a back three.
Defenders - think Robinson looks a good acquisition and Kerins has played centre half so four options there plus FBT filled in as one of the three sometimes last season
Midfield - I think we are OK with Jarvis, Clunan, Parker centrally plus Jones may well challenge for one of these spots when fit and FBT/Kerins/Richards/Jones taking the wider positions
Up front - perm any three from Parker, Hawkins, Henderson, Gash & Marriott

OK, we could maybe have a more 'solid' ball winner in the middle of the park and I would like to see some cover for Gash up top (which isn't Limb imo) but other than that when everyone is fit that is probably a good enough squad for IC to work with and finish in the play-offs.  The other key question would be if we do add to the squad/starting 11 can the club afford to have a bench of (say) Parker, Richards, Jones, Henderson + a.n. other?  Obviously injuries can take their toll at times and Christmas undoubtedly stretched a squad missing a fully fit Jones & Henderson and now Gash & Richards with missing last Saturday (do we have updates on either?) another body wouldn't hurt, even if it was a loanee, but no club will want to loan out someone to warm our bench.

Linnet1993

• View Profile
Re: Squad
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 02:44:48 PM »
I think we will now settle with what we he have, for me the one true weakness is we need a ball winning midfielder to come in and dominate the teams that flood the midfield.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 03:30:10 PM »
Good post Tony.  A fair summing up.  With MC gone and seemingly the 2 lads out on loan, unlikely to return, plus Richards Jones and Gash all suffering with injuries last week.  I just feel an extra body would lighten the load. Even if it was a loaner. 

Clunan and Jarv have hardly had a breather all season and at some point that will catch up
With one or both of them (IMHO).  Having a back up to Gash is a tough one. Though we did have that to a degree with Hilliard. Maybe IC could tempt him back.  As I recall he left under Backie’s watch.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 06:19:34 PM »
Though we did have that to a degree with Hilliard. Maybe IC could tempt him back.  As I recall he left under Backie’s watch.

I'd like to see him back. No problem with that!

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:32:57 PM »
Think IC got the best out of him and he seem to respond well to Culverhouse

Linnet 1958

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 06:59:12 PM »
Being able to come off the bench with 20 to go and give 110% and score when it mattered  :clap: :clap:

Loughborough Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 06:36:11 PM »
Though we did have that to a degree with Hilliard. Maybe IC could tempt him back.  As I recall he left under Backie’s watch.

I'd like to see him back. No problem with that!

Is Hilliard a regular starter for Wisbech? If he is, he might not want to come and be 3rd choice at Lynn.

Having said that, I’d have him back in a heartbeat. Ran his legs off everygame, asked questions of the defence, and drew players that others exploited. Whilst his scoring record isn’t spectacular personally, the team scored more when he was in it.

admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 11:03:23 PM »
Is Hilliard a regular starter for Wisbech? If he is, he might not want to come and be 3rd choice at Lynn.
According to the Wisbech website 15 appearances (14 starts) 8 goals.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »
The guy who should not have left was Tom Siddons but he was under-used.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 01:28:21 PM »
I agree but can't understand why as he followed Culverhouse to Grantham so he must like him

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 01:46:31 PM »
He probably went to Grantham because he fitted in to what they could afford.
He hasn't really done much there for IC to want him back.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 05:59:18 PM »
A new striker added to the mix today.