Author Topic: Barwell  (Read 2983 times)

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
Re: Barwell
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 06:45:19 PM »
" the moaners"
:laughcry: :laughcry: :laughcry:
Where I stand have never heard anyone moan at  Gashie and anyone who did would be shouted down. The sheer work rate of the man is phenomenal.

Yes Steve,sorrry Stan,the moaners who stand there and slate Gash at every game! :banghead; :banghead;

I agree with you, can't fault Gash, but a couple who stand behind the goal always find something to moan about? :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

mike20382

• Michael Robinson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 09:43:40 PM »
Luckily don't stand anywhere near them

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2019, 07:47:21 AM »
I think Kettering's stuttering form might motivate both the team and the fans and you wouldn't bet against an in form Lynn to beat an out of form Barwell but Lynn have struggled to get 3 points at home this season. I think Lynn's formation and starting 11 will be crucial. 3 at the back leaves Lynn's midfield stretched and Lynn have looked more threatening when playing that 442 diamond: the last 30 mins against Leiston being a case in point. Lynn struggled last week with 3 at the back and I'd be surprised if Culverhouse starts with this. I hope the cold weather doesn't put the older supporters off.

I didn't go last week, so can't really comment on whether 3 at the back did or didn't work but would take issue with the swap to 442 being the reason for the improvement vs Leiston - big change for me was that we moved personnel which meant we had someone capable of playing wing back / attacking full back on the right hand side, not seen Kerins yet but if he can do the job then happy to go with  3-4-3 again although that does leave only one spot between Parker, Henderson and Hawkins if Gash is fit and plays. 

For me this is the biggest issue with the balance of the squad, all three 'do a job' and are more than good enough to be in a promotion chasing side at step 3 but is having three players whose best / most natural position is at the top of a diamond / just behind the front two a luxury that means we are short elsewhere in the squad?  All have their strengths -
 * Parker is a fantastic timer of runs into the box and I can see why IC likes him so much, does lots of good work and scores more than his fair share.
 * Hawkins for me is best doing what he did when we swapped it around vs Leiston - find space in the middle third of the pitch and run at defenders - whether this is better as a sub vs tired legs is open to debate (I saw a quote from last Saturday in which he said IC said something along the lines of go on and cause chaos - should be his aim every week, nothing more, nothing less). 
 * Henderson looks positive in that central role and is no doubt a good player, I just wonder why B&F brought him in and whether he is really that much better than either of the other two to warrant reducing their game time to play him instead

Whatever IC decides to go with, I think we should have enough to get the three points, given the change in the weather anything over 700 has to be seen as a positive.
Against Royston, Lynn's 3 centre backs were, for the first half at least, marking only 1 player, making 1 of them redundant. I would have thought that one of those CBs could have pushed into midfield a little giving Jarvis greater licence to push forwards and help create overloads in different areas. One good thing about 3  at the back against  a 451 is both wing backs can push up high as they are covered with a 3 v 1  in the middle. With the 442 diamond you can only really afford to sling one wing back up at a time, as the middle 2 can get exposed if there is a quick counter through the middle. On the other hand, 3 at the back can be exposed if there is a quick counter through the middle. It does depend on where the opposition have strengths and weaknesses. If they have pacy CAMs three at the back might suit but if they have real pace out wide 442 might provide better protection.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2019, 07:52:01 AM »
I meant to say 3 at the back can be exposed if there is a quick counter out wide.

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2019, 11:53:26 AM »
Defence in Depth - Attack in Numbers.

If your Attack is going Well - It's an Ambush.

Defence starts at the Front Line.

Attacks start at Back (Pedro).

Dominate the Ground of Tactical Importance - (the whole pitch!).

Winning is not the best thing - Taking part in the Victory Celebrations is.

:scarf: :scarf: :comeon: :comeon: :scarf: :scarf:
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2019, 05:51:13 PM »
All these systems...  442, 433, 451, 4231, etc....  they only work on a Subbuteo table !  Unlike plastic men, humans can move, so whatever they start at, as soon as the other team gets the ball it’s 10-0, or 9-1....  Then the other team get the ball and it’s all change again !!  Quick slippery players is all that’s needed with a couple of links at the back.  Top teams don’t even have a “Holding” player or a “Number Ten”, only those they call one....!  The most slippery teM will win the play-offs, like last year, and we need to have it by then.....

Linnet1993

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2019, 06:01:06 PM »
Barwell were poor, gave nothing apart from the two sloppy goals we gifted them. Mike Clunan was superb nice to finally see a set piece go in  :laughcry:

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2019, 07:36:02 PM »
All these systems...  442, 433, 451, 4231, etc....  they only work on a Subbuteo table !  Unlike plastic men, humans can move, so whatever they start at, as soon as the other team gets the ball it’s 10-0, or 9-1....  Then the other team get the ball and it’s all change again !!  Quick slippery players is all that’s needed with a couple of links at the back.  Top teams don’t even have a “Holding” player or a “Number Ten”, only those they call one....!  The most slippery teM will win the play-offs, like last year, and we need to have it by then.....
We are a top team and we have one.

THE DUKE

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2019, 08:25:14 PM »
Talk about hard work we tried to walk the ball in the net all the goals were set pieces or goalkeeping errors we should have peppered the keeper.

Linnet 1958

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2019, 08:34:59 PM »
Talk about hard work we tried to walk the ball in the net all the goals were set pieces or goalkeeping errors we should have peppered the keeper.
Seemed they were afraid to pull the trigger today and agreed they just needed to keep having a pop at the keeper and the score line would have been different.  :scarf: :scarf:

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 12:53:59 PM »
Tactics and formation are obviously important Dilly. That's why Culverhouse uses a tactics board at matches. Even Anglian Combination teams work to formations and tactics.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2019, 12:57:41 PM »
Tactics and formation are obviously important Dilly. That's why Culverhouse uses a tactics board at matches. Even Anglian Combination teams work to formations and tactics.

Or maybe he reads the forum Stan,seems he used the set up you mention earlier? :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2019, 01:09:30 PM »
Was listening to a story about the most successful Liverpool Manager in their history, Bob Paisley.  It was said that every Friday at the team meeting the Subbuteo green mat would be laid out of the physio table. All the little plastic players would be put in position.  Apparently It was never referred to at the team meeting by Paisley.

Stan

• Gary Brown
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2019, 01:14:37 PM »

Or maybe he reads the forum Stan,seems he used the set up you mention earlier? :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
He did indeed start with the 442 diamond against a defensive 451 at the beginning then switched to 352 once Barwell pushed forward more, leaving their midfield
potentially outnumbered by Lynn.