Author Topic: State of play  (Read 2051 times)

dillydilly

• View Profile
State of play
« on: January 26, 2019, 05:43:40 PM »
Admittedly speaking from my armchair, so not having watched the team lately, I still think we are relying too much on formations, cliches, and workrate.  When you see a sub being  prepared, at any level of the game, the coach goes through his portfolio of diagrams, while the player checks on his socks and glances in all directions, with only the occasional glance at the diagrams he is being shown.  I’ll lay odds you won’t get Barcelona or Man. City talking 442, 4141, 451 etc, because good teams rely on all the players being mobile and slippery when they have the ball and getting virtually all of them back and behind the ball when they haven’t.  That is the sum total of the tactics required.  We have to get some players who are skilful and quick over short distances, or we won’t make the play-offs, which would obviously be a disappointment....

Re: State of play
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 06:32:22 PM »
Like you said.You've been in your armchair and with what you have just spouted I suggest you stay there.We have plenty of pace and if you'd actually attended lately you would see that Marriot is that slippery striker you so crave.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 07:53:02 PM »
The successful teams have half a dozen - like Slough last season.  Hereford didn't, which is why Slough are comfortable this season, and Hereford are struggling.... I'm only trying to help us up into The Conference.....

Jack

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 08:01:09 PM »
So you’re saying we need slippery players to do well, yet you say Hereford had none and won the league?

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 09:05:51 PM »
I don’t think you can compare Hereford and Slough in different divisions. On the face of it there a lot more “Heavyweight” clubs in the NLN for starters, and traditionally teams promoted from the Southern or Ryman Leagues have struggled in the NLN more than those that go into the NLS.

I’d also consider Slough to have had a relatively easy summer whereas Hereford lost their top scorer (Mills) for a kick off. They also dismissed their management team when they weren’t among the early season pace setters.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2019, 04:23:40 PM »
So you’re saying we need slippery players to do well, yet you say Hereford had none and won the league?
Exactly Jack.A contradiction in terms.If he'd been lately he would see we have at least 5 or six skilled slippery players as he likes to call them.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2019, 11:45:38 PM »
Agreed they won the league, but there were only two or three contenders, and Slough were the most impressive, IMHO.... This season Slough are comfortable, with an outside chance of making the play-offs, whereas Hereford are fighting relegation.  KL could make the play-offs, I hope they do, but all I’m saying is, if we get there, we need to be the team with the players and let the opponents be the team with the triers......

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 11:06:40 PM »
Working hard should be a given.To label us as triers is just not accurate.Listen to the Biggleswade manager post match away.He correctly states that we are the best passing team in the league.Kettering are top with a direct game.There are many ways to win a football match.

dillydilly

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2019, 11:57:45 PM »
I agree there are many ways to win a football match, but only the most skilful teams win leagues or play-offs.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 07:13:05 PM »
Like Hereford who had a big target man.We have both.Get your arse off your armchair and see for yourself.