Author Topic: Pitch/ bad weather  (Read 7482 times)

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
Re: Pitch/ bad weather
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2019, 11:24:10 PM »
Maybe next time we send a few hundred away fans swelling the coffers of the host club we should ask for free drinks or burgers or help with travelling expenses.
It's part of being a football supporter, it happens. I remember years ago bussing it too Moseley or somewhere up north and the game got called off, was disappointing but we had a ride out and a few beers on way home, good time was had by all

Where on earth you have dragged up the free drinks and from I don't know,I just meant I hope that any fans that had purchased a ticket got the ticket price refunded, I never asked for any freebies? :coffee:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Blue Moon

• Gloria Easthallfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2019, 12:18:16 AM »
That wasn't aimed at your comment Gris, I totally agree with you re the refund of admission.

Perhaps those "supporters" of ours who are pushing for recompensation for the travelling Alvechurch fans are willing to put their money where their mouths are and have a whip round between themselves to chip in
There are 3 types of people in this world, those that can count, and those that can't

birch95

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2019, 06:33:54 AM »
I must say this was a media disaster from the club but.......having heard the antics from the opposition management after the postponement I feel you got what you deserved  🥶😂😂

MARCUS ROSE

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2019, 07:57:28 AM »
Perhaps the problem people have is the lateness of the call off. Most games were cancelled in the morning, some the night before, well before the departure of visiting supporters.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 03, 2019, 08:43:57 AM »
Firstly, I think some degree of credit should go to the groundsman for the effort he put in to try and get the game on. Comparing the pictures from Tuesday night/Wednesday morning to those on Friday afternoon shows he did everything he could to get the surface playable. Not for the first time the shadow of the Main Stand was the defining issue (not his fault).

I too relied on the tweet sent around 9ish which suggested the game was on, and set off accordingly.

After arriving at the ground, the referee inspected the affected area around 1.30, then agreed to give an extra half hour to see if it improved before making a final decision at 2. After this initial discussion at 1.30, Alvechurch decided to go out on to the affected area and begin a training session, while one of their other officials appeared with a fork and began digging it into the pitch along the halfway line. The fact he was having to stand on it with both feet suggested to us how hard the pitch surface actually was!

The referee reappeared at 2pm at which time there had clearly been no improvement, and the decision was a swift no. Alvechurch then decided to continue their training session on the other side of the pitch, shouting at our groundsman and members of our management team to f*** off (clearly heard by us in the stand) when asked to move off. The stewards were then called on to try and move them, resulting in their players running around on the pitch and laughing at our guys trying to get them to leave the pitch. All very childish and a very bizarre few minutes. At least the Radio Norfolk guys had something to commentate on!

The issue was clearly the lack of a preliminary inspection, but two wrongs don’t make a right and the abuse received from Alvechurch fans and officials (towards our management team, stewards, myself and those in the club shop and cafe) was totally uncalled for. Amongst other things there were also allegations made that “Lynn had wanted the game off due to their injuries”. Our players were there and wanted to play but were staying off the pitch until the 2pm inspection was passed. Surely if that was our reason for wanting the game off, we would have just had it called off on the Friday afternoon or early on Saturday morning?

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 03, 2019, 08:57:45 AM »

Perhaps those "supporters" of ours who are pushing for recompensation for the travelling Alvechurch fans are willing to put their money where their mouths are and have a whip round between themselves to chip in

What "supporters" are you referring to? I can't see any such suggestions on here.   :dontknow:
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!

Kevin Holland

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 03, 2019, 09:51:35 AM »
'The issue was clearly the lack of a preliminary inspection, but two wrongs don’t make a right and the abuse received from Alvechurch fans and officials (towards our management team, stewards, myself and those in the club shop and cafe) was totally uncalled for. '

It's an old school non league thing,  if a game is called off, then a 15 minute session on the pitch justifies the wages.  Sometimes, you'll see the subs doing bit after a game, for the same reason.  Not many non league coaches do this nowadays,  but may explain why they were pretty ****ed off at being told to leave the pitch.  Especially as the Chairman himself endorsed, it looking at his tweets......
Make every day a Sun day.

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 03, 2019, 10:16:31 AM »
The one person who should be consulted first and foremost is the guy who knows the pitch inside out. That person in this case is Steve Curtis.  I wonder what his view was at 9am yesterday morning ? Was he even consulted?   Have to say he is worth every penny Stephen Cleeve pays him him.

jetmanpaul

• Moderated
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 03, 2019, 10:20:09 AM »
Being an ex senior referee let me state the facts: ( and one who has made numerous inspections at the walks)
A chairman or manager cannot call a game off it has to be an official unless it’s so obvious like laying under 3 inches of snow.
The referee of the day would contact a local referee from their handbook of officials to ask them to take a look in the morning or ask their opinion with regard to the weather
The officials have to arrive at least 2 hours before kickoff and common sense tells me their first job would to have been to look at the pitch so they could have made a decision straight away, and they didn’t, so as they didn’t it must have been close.
So these are the facts, nothing to do with the chairman or anybody else concerned with the club, dear I say it, if the officials have to come a long way they still get their travelling expenses and half match fee, and it has been known!!!!!! You can make your own mind up on that one!

macfleetwood1

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 03, 2019, 10:54:33 AM »
I don't know whether to laugh or cry, someone at the club is very stupid, or does not know the history of our pitch, it does not matter if it looks nice or not, but if you get 3 nights on the trot of frost it will not thaw in a few hours. Please look at my earlier post on page 1 of this subject, this game should have been called off on Friday afternoon. To say its on, was ridiculous.   

KES80

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 03, 2019, 12:03:09 PM »
Never a dull moment at the club eh !
Well it's water under the bridge now and yet another area that SC has been involved in and got to know.He certainly is getting involved in so many aspects lately. That part of the ground under the stand is always problematic.Going forward SC should have a handle on most of the quirks and features of the club by now.........if he sticks around for a few years it should all be smoother sailing soon.....hopefully.

Grissles Oleary

• John Flanagan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2019, 12:10:16 PM »
I have vague memories of when Buster took over and the pitch problem reared its ugly head, it was suggested that pitch covers would be the answer, and some people offered to contribute money so said pitch covers could be purchased? I think the offer was overlooked because it was judged to be trust funded and Buster wanted nothing to do with the trust,it would not have been trust funded just individuals trying to help via the trust forum? :dontknow:
“No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?”

Linnet 1958

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »
Up to the KLFC demise under Ken Bobbins, that part of the pitch was always covered when there was a threat of frost or snow and the tennyson road end goal before they cut a couple of trees down in the car park that opened up the goal to more light

Nemesis

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »
"A chairman or manager cannot call a game off it has to be an official unless it’s so obvious like laying under 3 inches of snow.
The referee of the day would contact a local referee from their handbook of officials to ask them to take a look in the morning or ask their opinion with regard to the weather"

Isn't it the case that to call the game off the club secretary has to call the match referee in the first place to advise him the match might be in doubt. Or are you saying that the match referee would call in a local referee on his own initiative?
If no call is made to the match referee because the secretary believes, or is told, that the pitch is playable, then there would be no early inspection.
“Once you have been in the dark you learn to appreciate everything that shines”

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 03, 2019, 02:42:48 PM »
If no call is made to the match referee because the secretary believes, or is told, that the pitch is playable, then there would be no early inspection.

Apparently “or is told” sums up what occurred yesterday.

Secretary between a rock and a hard place!
If you have achieved all your objectives, you have set your targets too low!