Author Topic: Play offs this season  (Read 1645 times)

Linnet

• View Profile
Play offs this season
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:11:36 AM »
A starter for 10 for all you University Challenge buffs

The new Super Play Off system  ....

https://www.thenonleaguefootballpaper.com/latest-news/23137/revealed-how-the-new-step-3-and-4-play-off-structure-works/

Mallard

• View Profile
Re: Play offs this season
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 09:39:22 AM »
Strange system in as much if you donít finish top you have to win 3 games on the spin to go up. Big ask afterna hard season.  I wonder if it is shared gate or does the home team get to keep the proceeds?

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 09:41:33 AM »
Are they the bonus questions Mr Paxman ? lol  Indeed

Non League

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 09:41:57 AM »
Imagine being in a play off final at step 4, but before the game you know regardless if you win you won't go up! Proper Micky Mouse stuff.

Looking at the sides in the play offs in each league, looks nailed on to be a Northern league side, and going by pts/per game it's also looking more likely to be an away play off final for King's Lynn should they get that far. Could end up having to play 3 away games in play offs to go up.

Linnet

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 10:01:44 AM »
Sure is Non League
Some amendments for next season hopefully

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 10:20:37 AM »
Maybe four down (8) from step 2 with 4x2 going up from
Step 3.

Mick

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 11:46:52 AM »
Farcical. Reminds me of when we won the Southern League Eastern Division in 2003/04 but had to play the winners of the Western Division in a semi final to gain promotion. We lost 0-1 v Redditch at The Walks. Redditch then had to play Merthyr Tydfil (14th place Premier Division) in the final.

poshlinnet

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 12:55:58 PM »
At the end of the day, it is what it is. Somebody will win the games and go up.

Biggest question I have is are we a strong enough team to cut at the next level? In my opinion probably not at the moment, but I'd love to see us have a bloody good go.

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 01:19:41 PM »
Really don't see the problem, we knew what the position was at the start of the season.  If non-league is to have a pyramid structure then there will always be 'pinch points' around promotion / relegation and no system will please everyone.  Basically the options for step 2 relegation / step 3 promotion are:
  1  4 down, 2 up from each feeder league - possibly seen as tough on teams 'doomed' earlier in the season with fifth bottom is a bigger ask to save their season.  Also not sure there are always 8 sides ready for the step up so could end up with more yo-yo teams
  2  3 down, champions from the four feeders plus a further 2, option of either:
       2a  'normal' playoff involving 4 teams from each step 3 division with winners then going into a further play off - pros keeps more clubs season alive, cons 3 post season games
       2b  restrict playoffs to 2nd / 3rd in the division with winner of this game going into the playoff final - pros keeps post season at 2 games and could be argued that it rewards consistency throughout the season but writes off more teams earlier in the process

I think you could make a case for any of the three options and it would probably depend on where you thought you would be.  At the start of the season many of us may have favoured 2b but now we could be grateful that the FA went for 2a

One thing I would add is that I am fully behind the 4 divisions at step 3, the standard hasn't really dropped that much (will always be good and bad sides within a league) and the distances we have had to travel have been much, much more manageable.

TonyM

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 01:22:35 PM »
...Biggest question I have is are we a strong enough team to cut at the next level? In my opinion probably not at the moment, but I'd love to see us have a bloody good go.

My guess is no where near.  Would imagine we would need at least 6 starters to come into the squad on top of what we currently have if we wanted to be confident of staying in up.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 07:53:29 AM »
Maybe four down (8) from step 2 with 4x2 going up from
Step 3.

National League refused 4 down from Step 2 as they donít want to relegate 4 teams from a 22 team league.

Step 4 play offs are even more farcical as there are 14 teams competing for 12 places. So 2 teams will actually win a play off final and then not be promoted (all decided by points per game average)

Mallard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2019, 09:10:42 AM »
Maybe there should only be one team promoted from each League of Step 3 thus only 2 relegated from step 2 ( 2 from the Southern 2 from the Northern).

The could adopt what Buster Chapman runs with as head of British Soeedway where the top four teams have 2 semiís then a grand final to decide the League Champions. 

All quite amazing when you consider there are only 7 teams in the League in which they all rife each other 4 times ( twice home,twice away). Only then to go into a play off system. :dirtbike: :laughcry:

westlynnmike

• Mike Riggs
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2019, 09:20:07 AM »
What about:

If your team's facilities are not already compliant to gain promotion then that team does not take part in the Play Off's. Yes, I know that they have a season (?) to reach that standard but if it is deemed that they have no chance of raising their standard then get off the bus.
No Plan Survives First Contact With the Opposition - Be Ready to Change Your Plan.

robbo84

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 10:05:53 AM »
What about:

If your team's facilities are not already compliant to gain promotion then that team does not take part in the Play Off's. Yes, I know that they have a season (?) to reach that standard but if it is deemed that they have no chance of raising their standard then get off the bus.
Maybe there should only be one team promoted from each League of Step 3 thus only 2 relegated from step 2 ( 2 from the Southern 2 from the Northern).

The could adopt what Buster Chapman runs with as head of British Soeedway where the top four teams have 2 semiís then a grand final to decide the League Champions. 

All quite amazing when you consider there are only 7 teams in the League in which they all rife each other 4 times ( twice home,twice away). Only then to go into a play off system. :dirtbike: :laughcry:

I think one up from Step 3 would be a massive step backwards for Non League football as a whole. Take our league this season, apart from what appear to be very faint hopes of catching Kettering/Stourbridge, there would be little to play for for the rest of us.

It was my understanding that the FA wanted the change to the leagues system to structure it into a 1-2-4-8-16 pyramid, so I still think they need to stand up to the National League and implement the 4-down system. If I remember correctly, in the first year of Conference North and South, there were only 3 promotion places and the two play off winners had to compete for a single place. Shortly afterwards the Conference changed its system and went to 24 teams at Step 1 with 4 relegation places.

Blue_and_Gold

• Global Moderator
  • Supporters, not Customers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 11:43:53 AM »
What about:

If your team's facilities are not already compliant to gain promotion then that team does not take part in the Play Off's.

I've often wondered why that's not the case. Maybe there's a valid reason why its not.   :dontknow:

As we know, teams have previously  been promoted only to be relegated the following season due to not carrying out the required ground improvements.